Rilfe, L32A1

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
A student on a command course found out the hard way. As per the norm, the shotgun was barrel down at the time. Just like a door, with barrel contact or close to it cut straight through but dissipated and didn't damage the Unimog any further. Wasn't there at the time so can't comment on the situation of the why's and how's up to that point, but apparently ended up with a fine and maybe a period of days.
Bugger.
I was hoping for an admitted "I fcuked up but got away with it" tale.

Never mind, you'll be the culprit should I tell it on.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Somewhere around 11" to 14" would appear about right. Remingtons new Tac 13, 13" barrel is 5 +1 as is Mossbergs 14" barreled Shockwave. The only 6" barreled shotgun I have seen was actually 6.5", a Mossberg 500 based Serbu which only holds 2 rounds.
I have a very short Mossberg bbl/mag/spring combo I bought on a UK visit years ago.
Made by a now imprisoned (again) ex-REME Armr who awarded himself a kakhuisvol of gongs, funny wings and a knighthood.
He didn't act insane when I met him.

Bugger.
I was hoping for an admitted "I fcuked up but got away with it" tale.

Never mind, you'll be the culprit should I tell it on.
Went to a demo of some gear and there were some boxheads with a modified IED disruptor (pig stick). The thing had an oversized wooden stock and a vertical foregrip attached - it didn't so much blow out the locking mechanism as blow out the door. The downside was that as a safety precaution it was advised that an eod suit be worn when using it - so not really pratical.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Went to a demo of some gear and there were some boxheads with a modified IED disruptor (pig stick). The thing had an oversized wooden stock and a vertical foregrip attached - it didn't so much blow out the locking mechanism as blow out the door. The downside was that as a safety precaution it was advised that an eod suit be worn when using it - so not really pratical.
The EOD disruptor used to be a waterpistol on steroids, but a diving mask, trunks and fins weren't the designated dress.

I'd tag RTFQ for this but he's sacked answering his pm's.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
8 1/2 shot in lieu of Hatton, or Hatton style, works well. Nev
The EOD disruptor used to be a waterpistol on steroids, but a diving mask, trunks and fins weren't the designated dress.

Door rams may be thrilling to look at but are problematic when trying to breach a metal clad door as some of those chaps who are in the recreational chemicals business have been known to hitch up the metal faced door oto 220v or higher voltage and give the breaching team a bit of a thrill when striking said door. When in doubt we used anexplosive breaching charge which would neatly slice thro' all kinds of deterrent doors,windows, walls etc. When one considers the amount of Wonga that pours out of such grotty dwellings.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
8 1/2 shot in lieu of Hatton, or Hatton style, works well. Nev

Door rams may be thrilling to look at but are problematic when trying to breach a metal clad door as some of those chaps who are in the recreational chemicals business have been known to hitch up the metal faced door oto 220v or higher voltage and give the breaching team a bit of a thrill when striking said door. When in doubt we used anexplosive breaching charge which would neatly slice thro' all kinds of deterrent doors,windows, walls etc. When one considers the amount of Wonga that pours out of such grotty dwellings.

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I seem to recall that we used these in NITAT in 92 to accustom the troops (those that had only ever fired L85) to harsh recoil before firing the rifle grenade package.

I am an german collector and autor, looking for anny info about an rifle i just bought.
It is an FN-Browning Shotgun Auto5 in caliber 12, proofed 1964, known as the L32A1 in british nomenclature.
It would be great to get any infos, also links, manuals pics or so on.

Referring to the marks , I notice that this appears: W ^ D. Well the affixing of that brand was interrupted in 1895. It seems to me that the rifle is of a "little" younger.
I am an german collector and autor, looking for anny info about an rifle i just bought.
It is an FN-Browning Shotgun Auto5 in caliber 12, proofed 1964, known as the L32A1 in british nomenclature.
It would be great to get any infos, also links, manuals pics or so on.

I am also very fascinated by this military version rifle and would like one. Hard to find ...
Referring to the marks, I notice that this appears: W ^ D. Well the affixing of that brand was interrupted in 1895. It seems to me that the rifle is a little bit younger.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
IIRC when kit was sold off the WD arrows were >< placed thusly to show "Sold out of Service" unless that stamping was done away with a long long time ago?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Shotgun walt?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sorry, my english is "basic".. ... What do you mean with "walt"?
Pretending to be something it isn't. It isn't uncommon for items to be ascribed a history they didn't have in order to raise their rarity value

Page 19 of "The Broad Arrow" (Jan Skennerton )
" W /|\ D The War Department marck, This was introduced in about 1856
and discontinued in 1895, per List of Changes §7815. This is commonly seen
on many components of the period, especially Magazine Lee-Metfords and
Magazine Lee-Enfields. "

4(T)

LE
IIRC when kit was sold off the WD arrows were >< placed thusly to show "Sold out of Service" unless that stamping was done away with a long long time ago?

They stopped doing it on rifles sometime between 1945 and 1948. By then, of course, there were hundreds of thousands of service rifles being sold off through the commercial trade, so no longer any point in trying to track them.

There was a demob depot at the end of my grandparent's residential street. They said that, in 1945 during the mass demobilisations, there was a pile of rifles there about 20' high, and that every kid in the street had taken one or two!

HE117

LE
All the MOD Auto 5 Shots I have ever seen or used were FN manufacture and were not marked "Browning". He was the designer, but was never the manufacturer. The trademark "Browning" was not marked on most of his designs and has only been relatively recently used by FN Herstal, who own the trademark. Auto5 Shots to this design were also made in the US by Remington and Savage, but did not have the magazine cut off..

The concept of an RMP having a shotgun, never mind actually having "RMP" stamped on the butt is frankly ludicrous.. The thought of the combination of RMP and shotguns is on the same level of mild concern as a Matelot with a rifle or anyone in light blue having firearms, particularly with access to ammunition!

As to the markings.. FN usually engrave their markings. These have been clearly stamped prior to refinishing. Regrettably, I would suggest that this is the result of a "restorer" and a box of stamps..! I would put this in the "not even with a long barge pole" category!

These are not particularly rare guns, and were made in very large numbers. I have an early 16 bore FN version and use it for pigeons. I have restored it by steam treating the barrel and action to re-establish the blue and taken some steps to remove oil contamination in the stock, but apart from that nothing more drastic. As a result of UK legislation, the magazine tube has been swaged to reduce the capacity to two cartridges, which is IMHO is just pointless butchery, but there it is..

I do a bit of restoration, and my view is that your aim should only ever be to:
1. Arrest deterioration..
2. Repair or replace items only where necessary to return functionality.
4. Never do any work that is intended to deceive future owners, or misrepresent the identity of the item.

In my book, you can increase or restore the value of an item by repairing or refurbishing it, but you should never change it to make it look like a more valuable version of what it originally was. That is counterfeit and fraud. I have just restored a Dreyse Needle gun by making a new stock. I have not reproduced any of the original stock markings on the wood and have also stamped my name and the date of restoration inside the stock to make its provenance absolutely clear!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The RAF in Mount Pleasant had half a dozen of these for bird clearing (Upland Goose is not very tasty). Pretty sure they were marked as Brownings rather than FN.

HE117

LE
The RAF in Mount Pleasant had half a dozen of these for bird clearing (Upland Goose is not very tasty). Pretty sure they were marked as Brownings rather than FN.
...not my recollection!

The ones I used in Stanley I think were all FN marked, but I grant you it was a long time ago! Most of the Auto 5s in UK service were procured in the 50s/60s for use in Borneo and Malaya.. I was not aware of any later procurement..

I thought they had 1.5" flare pistols and flashbangs for bird scaring?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
...not my recollection!

The ones I used in Stanley I think were all FN marked, but I grant you it was a long time ago! Most of the Auto 5s in UK service were procured in the 50s/60s for use in Borneo and Malaya.. I was not aware of any later procurement..

In 94, the Upland Geese didn't get scared, except when a Tornado was taking off, hence "clearing" rather than "scaring"!

The guns were long barrelled Browning Auto 5s, I doubt they were of Borneo vintage, so maybe a Crab procurement for local requirements?

...not my recollection!

The BCU in Scampton had an air rifle, a Verey pistol plus 12 bore insert, and a semi auto shotgun (FN/Browning?). The pistol was used for bird scarers and the shotgun to re-inforce the message! The air rifle, which was just over the civvy legal limit, was used for pigeons and the like which would quite happily sit there as you fired and reloaded.

Last edited:

Latest Threads