Rilfe, L32A1

but the fact that you have 'a list' comes as absolutely no surprise to anyone.
Knock yourself out.
Reading not a strong point?

Oooh matron and rampant are not the same person.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reading not a strong point?

Oooh matron and rampant are not the same person.
I don't have cellar full of Eastern European Sex Slaves for a start, nor even a cellar, the house is built straight onto granite.

I don't have cellar full of Eastern European Sex Slaves for a start, nor even a cellar, the house is built straight onto granite.
Its late here, and no, I have not had my meds so maybe matron is required.
My apology for being a tad grumpy,

You must have been there the same time as me - albeit I was over the water at Ajax Bay. We used 7.62mm on our bunnies. Now you mention it, I do recall that there were Browning A5s at Kelly, because the mess there tried to have a clay pigeon shoot - using the boys to throw NAAFI plates because there was no trap...
I may have been in and around Kellys & Ajax Bay around the same timeframe, although I rarely found the need to stay long enough to thin the wildlife. More a 'flying-visit' if you will.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Are you fitted with a dimmer switch or do you practice in front of a mirror?

Using a handheld door ram is in no way comparable to firing a cartridge load of pellets going through a door at 1200 feet per second . How specific enough is that for you in regard to shotguns being a bad idea in opening locked doors.
It's specific enough to confirm your knowledge of the subject to be on a par with the contribution of a glockenspiel to astrophysics.

Last edited:

HE117

LE
The Browning 5 Shots have been in the inventory for some time. I have certainly heard of them being used in Malaya and Borneo for arming the point man on a patrol.

They were also used extensively for EOD from the 60s onward "for a variety of tasks" in places like Hong Kong before being used in NI. As Dingerr says, they were mounted on Wheelbarrow from Mk3 onward in a variety of guises. There was also a remote stand for firing the shotgun off using a lanyard.

I would not put much weight on the length of barrel, particularly for EOD.. they all seemed to have started around the 32" mark, however bad driving by the No2 and close proximity to functioning devices often resulted in muzzle damage, which was rectified by a trip to the workshop and a hacksaw (or in my case lathe.. I have standards!). I remember one ATO (a Chelsea supporter with a penchant for pogoing in mess kit!) wandering around with a 5 shot sporting a 6" barrel and a sawn off stock.. he did admit that he only ever fired it in an EOD suit, and that "it stung a bit..." !

I have a 16 bore version, which I use for blatting pigeons..

gafkiwi

War Hero
There are no pellets in breaching rounds, they are powder based frangible rounds, the most solid thing in a breaching round is the paper wadding, that, on going through a door (and you do not aim at the door, but the intersection of the door and jamb where the lock is at a 45degree downwards angle) virtually atomises as it bases through wood and metal plate.

Are you angling to feature in @ooooh_matron sigblock
Door rams are the first thing generally binned or left behind. Designed for one thing and a prick to carry unlike the other MOE Tools and shotguns. Theoretically 00 and slug can also be used if that's all that is available just as long as the soldiers are trained and use the right technique and their command are aware and prepared for the risks.
The 12Ga Blank round will also breach/defeat locks and hinges on a lot of wooden doors. It doesn't push the mechanism out like a Hatton, but generally blows out the wood supporting them. I know of a they will also cut straight through the 20mm+ wooden deck on the back of a Unimog. We use them as a training round prior to using Hatton etc.

Last edited:

HE117

LE
Was it still a 5 shot, with a 6" barrel?
Good point... I was just swagging it from memory (it was a LONG time ago..!). The barrel was cut off just forward of the bearing, which, as I have just gone and measured it, would be about 11 - 12"!

..seemed shorter at the time!

It's specific enough to confirm your knowledge of the subject to be on a par with the contribution of a glockenspiel to astrophysics.
According to a SO19 instructor of my acquaintance you were overly generous with that assessment.

Apologies

Personally preferred the Remmy 870 with the extended mag for Ulu work. As most contacts in that environment are very close range, the shotty is not a bad choice for point. Hattons all the way for uninvited entry, Brennekes were a little more boisterous.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
According to a SO19 instructor of my acquaintance you were overly generous with that assessment.

Apologies
No worries, everyone steps in it sometime.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The 12Ga Blank round will also breach/defeat locks and hinges on a lot of wooden doors. It doesn't push the mechanism out like a Hatton, but generally blows out the wood supporting them. I know of a they will also cut straight through the 20mm+ wooden deck on the back of a Unimog.
Any chance you could explain exactly how you found out ?

gafkiwi

War Hero
Any chance you could explain exactly how you found out ?
A student on a command course found out the hard way. As per the norm, the shotgun was barrel down at the time. Just like a door, with barrel contact or close to it cut straight through but dissipated and didn't damage the Unimog any further. Wasn't there at the time so can't comment on the situation of the why's and how's up to that point, but apparently ended up with a fine and maybe a period of days.

You must have been there the same time as me - albeit I was over the water at Ajax Bay. We used 7.62mm on our bunnies. Now you mention it, I do recall that there were Browning A5s at Kelly, because the mess there tried to have a clay pigeon shoot - using the boys to throw NAAFI plates because there was no trap...
Did you know the fellas, that tied rope around "the boys" ( . . . which they assured "the boys", would be used to pull them out of the river!!), and then used "the boys" as live bait to attract alligators/crocodiles?!

Good point... I was just swagging it from memory (it was a LONG time ago..!). The barrel was cut off just forward of the bearing, which, as I have just gone and measured it, would be about 11 - 12"!

..seemed shorter at the time!
Somewhere around 11" to 14" would appear about right. Remingtons new Tac 13, 13" barrel is 5 +1 as is Mossbergs 14" barreled Shockwave. The only 6" barreled shotgun I have seen was actually 6.5", a Mossberg 500 based Serbu which only holds 2 rounds.

Door rams are the first thing generally binned or left behind. Designed for one thing and a prick to carry unlike the other MOE Tools and shotguns. Theoretically 00 and slug can also be used if that's all that is available just as long as the soldiers are trained and use the right technique and their command are aware and prepared for the risks.
The 12Ga Blank round will also breach/defeat locks and hinges on a lot of wooden doors. It doesn't push the mechanism out like a Hatton, but generally blows out the wood supporting them. I know of a they will also cut straight through the 20mm+ wooden deck on the back of a Unimog. We use them as a training round prior to using Hatton etc.
8 1/2 shot in lieu of Hatton, or Hatton style, works well. Never tried blank, as of yet.

Latest Threads