Right to Buy, Discrimination?

Normal caveat, had a look couldn’t see anything, MODs please merge, bin, yada, yada.

After 35 years in various SFA I will shortly be moving into my own home, but it got me thinking (dangerous :) )

Council tenants have a right to buy if they meet certain criteria one of which is public sector landlord, even if sold to another landlord, noting that a large part of the housing stock is owned by Annington.

I understand that we have Forces help to buy and other initiatives, however, should time in SFA allow a soldier the same rights as a council tenant in purchasing a home?

Is this a covenant issue? Noting that ‘service personnel should get equal treatment’.

Should a young Tom who gets out after 5 years, have a right to buy a council house?

Is there a legal (McLoud like) Challenge?

I am not one of those who thinks that “our ero’s” deserve special treatment, but they shouldn’t be disadvantaged either.

So, over to you clever people ^~

964ST

LE
Normal caveat, had a look couldn’t see anything, MODs please merge, bin, yada, yada.

After 35 years in various SFA I will shortly be moving into my own home, but it got me thinking (dangerous :) )

Council tenants have a right to buy if they meet certain criteria one of which is public sector landlord, even if sold to another landlord, noting that a large part of the housing stock is owned by Annington.

I understand that we have Forces help to buy and other initiatives, however, should time in SFA allow a soldier the same rights as a council tenant in purchasing a home?

Is this a covenant issue? Noting that ‘service personnel should get equal treatment’.

Should a young Tom who gets out after 5 years, have a right to buy a council house?

I am not one of those who thinks that “our ero’s” deserve special treatment, but they shouldn’t be disadvantaged either.

You have the Right! To have a Basher in a local Wood constructed with a Poncho and some locally scourced Branches! (Peeps in the Highlands can have seasonal SnowHoles!)

?

I don't think there would be much of a legal challenge - they are not council houses, and the qualifying criteria to be accepted as a tenant of Council/SFA is very different.

I fail to see how servicepersons are being disadvantaged by being given extremely subsidised housing (even though some is admittedly in a pretty poor state) without the option to purchase it. It's more of an advantage to Council residents, rather than a disadvantage to Servicepersons.

IMHO, it would be like saying that Council residents are disadvantaged as they aren't given subsidised housing, electricity and gas, whereas those in SFA are. Two different beasts.

I fail to see how servicepersons are being disadvantaged by being given extremely subsidised housing (even though some is admittedly in a pretty poor state) without the option to purchase it. It's more of an advantage to Council residents, rather than a disadvantage to Servicepersons.

IMHO, it would be like saying that Council residents are disadvantaged as they aren't given subsidised housing, electricity and gas, whereas those in SFA are. Two different beasts.

Are SP not government tenants, should they not get the opportunity to purchase (and I know I am stretching the point somewhat ).

Not everyone gets subsidised electricity & gas, only those on ‘camp facilities’.

Are SP not government tenants, should they not get the opportunity to purchase (and I know I am stretching the point somewhat ).

Not everyone gets subsidised electricity & gas, only those on ‘camp facilities’.
No - not tenants of anyone. SFA is occupied on a licence. Fewer rights, for exactly that reason. You pay a charge not rent etc etc etc.

Troy

LE
[snip]

[snip]

It's a shame that I must be absolutely brutal here, but really I'm just being cruel to be kind...

Never mind having a right to buy a council house, that's not likely to come into it. Young Tom should not expect to even get a council house. All councils and housing associations have long waiting lists of people hoping to get offered a council house. The list includes people in desperate need with kids and all sorts of problems, not to mention people who have been waiting for years - quite literally, years.
So whatever kind of "special case" young Tom presents himself to the council as. He should expect to be very low priority and to face a very lengthy wait.

ugly

LE
why should those smash benefits on fags,booze,big tv sets and lotto get cheap housing for life?
For the strange reason that they joined the housing queue on leaving school/getting pregnant/released from prison (other opportunities are available) and you too have the right to join that same queue.
Edited to add that unless you have a local connection or join the queue upon joining the army then you are actually in no way better off/more in need than a newly landed immigrant. Indeed if you use your loaf and join the queue upon leaving Mum for the army you are deemed adequately housed until you become a civilian again or until you get your other half to move into a council house whilst you are overseas/posted away etc.
The other way is to move back into Mums and inherit the right to rent when she goes into care but you have to be on the rent agreement I believe.

Last edited:
The whole issue many also be impacted by differing Local Authorities & Governing bodies.
Scotland's entire Right to Buy ceased on July 2016, by which time in the region of a half million homes had been sold to existing tenants or the private rent sector if the houses were in really poor condition and suitable only for back to brick refurbishment.

I'm left to guess what happened to the selling dosh, not to forget 10s of millions in savings from these homes being deleted from repair & upkeep lists?

I believe....many Local Councils employ a points bidding system even for rent applications but I'd be very surprised to learn of current stock shedding into the private sector. I doubt quite simply there are enough left...anywhere.

I think most social housing is provided by Housing Associations these days. Council houses seem to be a thing of the past, although councils still seem to possess a few legacy ones where their owner didn't take up the right to buy in the eighties.

ugly

LE
I think most social housing is provided by Housing Associations these days. Council houses seem to be a thing of the past, although councils still seem to possess a few legacy ones where their owner didn't take up the right to buy in the eighties.
Down here you apply for the council and they offer you the option of association listing which tends to be quicker plus refusing association housing allegedly can slow down your council application.

No - not tenants of anyone. SFA is occupied on a licence. Fewer rights, for exactly that reason. You pay a charge not rent etc etc etc.

I absolutely get all that, however, in todays equality driven society (although we all know some of us a blatently less equal :) ) a council tenant has a right to buy in certain circumstances, a soldier doesn't.

I am not talking about buying the SFA, I am talking about the right to buy a house in thier local area with the same benifit of those who haven't moved.

I haven't yet had the time to read @Arte_et_Marte link in full so could be covered?

Pagan-Image

War Hero
I also agree. Rather than give the lazy free stuff, I'd just use them as biomass fuel.
Dont give them ideas, they will just find a way to tax us on it!

I also agree. Rather than give the lazy free stuff, I'd just use them as biomass fuel.

Mmmm.....not so sure that is a sound notion.
Problem?
Hundreds of thousands of gallons of former KFC & McD BMI 42 fat run off.
Fatbergs are an issue already.
We do not need one "The Size of Wales"

It's a shame that I must be absolutely brutal here, but really I'm just being cruel to be kind...

Never mind having a right to buy a council house, that's not likely to come into it. Young Tom should not expect to even get a council house. All councils and housing associations have long waiting lists of people hoping to get offered a council house. The list includes people in desperate need with kids and all sorts of problems, not to mention people who have been waiting for years - quite literally, years.
So whatever kind of "special case" young Tom presents himself to the council as. He should expect to be very low priority and to face a very lengthy wait.

I am not suggesting they jump any sort of queue (well maybeI am?). I am suggesting that if they meets all the criteria of someone who is in a council house and has the right to buy, are they being discriminated against?

They could be in a council house and leave it to join the Army, then struggle to get any accommodation when they leave 4/5 years later, never mind one they have a tight to buy 3 years after occupying it?

The link I posted covered that in preserved right to buy.

Latest Threads