Right to Be Forgotten

Bad CO

Admin
Hahahaha, so Fatboy Gotti is trying to cover his tracks then?

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Hehehehe you're going to get proper done so you are.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Baron Fortlong to the burying bullshit booth please.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Serious question...

What's to stop you or anyone else duplicating the page with a different URL?

Bad CO

Admin
Very little I'd imagine although it would be interesting to see how clever Google's systems were for spotting this

Very little I'd imagine although it would be interesting to see how clever Google's systems were for spotting this
It works relatively well, although far from perfectly, in relation to DMCA notifications.

If failing to make it as good as can be is likely to cost Google spondoolicks, it'll be good as can be.

Is this 'right' to be forgotten dependant on the individual's responsibility to reform?
Because reading that Arrsepedia link gives the impression that people- especially those in organisations for young and vulnerable people- should be able to look up this individual.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Plus, there are so many links to Jimbo over the internet that I doubt they could ever be stamped out. A quick search found this one from March 2014.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2014/03/the-baron-of-castleshort-fake-sas-conman-in-ukraine-2910448.html
The “Baron” was on Irish radio the other day, it was about a bodyguarding course he was running here and they did a bit on it, he seemed to indicate that he was an ex SAS guy and that he did various “undercover and security work” for the British government…other bit’s and bobs…felt kind of sorry for the young gullable men they talked to, taking the course for 2,7000 euro...
So Jimbo marches on...

Wordsmith

Last edited:
So is it just those particular url's or is it everything we post?

Can't we just keep posting stuff like . .

Karl Halliday - ******, Walt and fantasist.
Carlos Gotti - ******, Walt and fantasist.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
So if *cough someone had stuck this link on his ARRSEpedia page would that show up?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

D

Djelli Beybii

I just did a search on him using BING instead of google..

Links to ARRSE and NAVYNET came straight up.

I've been following this one and in my view Google has, while complying with everything they've been told to do, ensured that nothing will change. All you need to do is to copy the offending page to one with a new URL (add a 1 at the end maybe ?) and Google will happily index it as it is a new page. The fact that the information on it is unchanged matters not. When another notice comes along, change the 1 to a 2 and crack on. Of if you have a blog, just repost it. Because, you'll note, all takedowns are against discrete, individual URLs, not the information they contain.

Now, there is a possibility that someone could challenge that legally to try and ban people from reposting but I suspect that freedom of speech will override that approach, human rights cutting both ways. If anyone who understands the law better than me - which is not difficult - thinks otherwise I'd be happy to be corrected.

The real nail in the coffin though is the fact that all these links will be present on Google.com. It will not be difficult at all to put together a website or browser plugin to compare the two searches and highlight differences. I'm surprised there isn't one already frankly, anyone heard of one ?

Oh how I wish I could forget Jimbo Shortt and the IBA. made the mistake of doing one of his/their BG courses years ago.

Could never work out why I got no job offers until I found out that the course was basically a waste of 3 grand, as nobody in the industry would take the qualification seriously. :frustrated:

I'd like to say more about it but don't want to implicate myself in a libel case. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

It's no surprise as expected that the 'Forgotten' rule would be abused. Unless perhaps I've got it all wrong and Gotti/Halliday/Daine is starting over and wants a clean sheet? However, it's not funny though, that the one we have direct dealings with this new law has history as a dilusional no-mark liar with an unhealthy interest in the military.

Does this mean that Gotti/Halliday/Daine will now be loose again to be Bullshitter-in-Chief to vunerable or impressionable people or organisations for personal gain?

Oh how I wish I could forget Jimbo Shortt and the IBA. made the mistake of doing one of his/their BG courses years ago.

Could never work out why I got no job offers until I found out that the course was basically a waste of 3 grand, as nobody in the industry would take the qualification seriously. :frustrated:

I'd like to say more about it but don't want to implicate myself in a libel case. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
But did you ever meet the great man himself?

Did he personally annoint you with the IBA membership card?
Did you have to kneel and he touched your head as you all wafted through?
Was he muttering those scared words that is the core of all that is the IBA; "One born every minute!"?

If conmen and fantasists change their name (which they invariably do) you'd have to be aware of their previous identity to Google them anyway. If you are aware that anyone of these characters has changed his name then you can expose the new identity and it'll be current and on Google as it wont have fallen into the 'forgotten' category, surely?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
You might like this one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/10942429/BBCs-Robert-Peston-Why-has-Google-cast-me-into-oblivion.html
BBC economics editor Robert Peston has criticised Google after he said the search engine deleted some of his blogs to comply with European law.Peston said he received a “notice of removal” from Google, informing him that an article that he had published in 2007 about former Merrill Lynch boss Stan O'Neal would no longer be shown in European Google search results.

The article, “Merrill’s Mess” describes how O'Neal was forced to leave the investment bank after it endured significant losses on the back of careless investments.
So (according to Peston) the guy screwed up, cost the bank a lot of money and would now like that fact airbrushed from the internet.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads