Right then..... On to Private Messages

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jul 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Quite a few have been looking in detail at PM problems. Could someone well versed in all things PM give me a round-up please?
  2. Mine seem to be working ok, I had to get rid of a few 100 in my inbox and sent box though from before to allow me to send as your capped at 100 max in total as far as I can see..............no problems since i deleted all old ones though.
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I posted this early but I'll recap.
    It appears that when Pms on the old system were deleted they were not but only archived. On transfer to the new system old these archived ones cames as well, meaning going massively over the number allowed. I spend a couple of hours deleting Pms which were four years old to get within the allowance.
  4. Thats what I was trying to say Oldbaldy but Im not as elegant as you are.
  5. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Glad to be of service :)
  6. I just looked at my private messages for the first time since the upgrade. The moment I clicked on a message in order to delete it I got the "popup"/"popdown" (what's it called) saying I had 100 notifications saying I had 100 unread private messages...... (add confused smiley here).

Not a big deal, just flagging up what happened when I opened my inbox.
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for the recap. Too many is better than too few. I'll have a crack at writing an automated pruning tool this morning that trims them back to what you had before.

Is that the only problem with the message records?

Stanley I'm not immediately sure what you mean despite a good description so I can't offer a sage comment. Once I've got the too-many issue sorted, I'll try it out myself and I'm sure it will become clear.
  8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

The only other thing is the number allowed has decreased by two thirds. Before it was 100 in each of in, sent & saved boxes. The 100 now is shared between all boxes. I haven't opened any new folders but am assuming that any put in them would also fall in this 100 allowed.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

After a fair bit of wandering around I have managed to delete everything in my PM folders. No drama really, I assume that I needed to do this to free up my in and out boxes!
    tart from scratch I suppose and hope that I havent missed anything too important!

10. Any messages that were read but in your old inbox account showed up as new messages after the switch. Any Archived messages showed up as saved messages.

So when Stan logged in the pop up that tells him he has a new PM stated he had 100 new messages.
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Old Baldy has summed up very well and pointed out the drop in number allowed by totalling over all the boxes.

Some kind Arrser pointed out that PMs can be exported to the PC totally out of Arrse so if there are any PM's you want to keep then this is the tool to use.

On the button 'Selected Messages' you can choose to download as XML, CSV or TEXT. Select messages you wish to save, click the relevant button in 'Selected Messages' and export the messages to your PC. Then select and delete any messages not required and your PM box will reduce to a level where normal activity takes place.

Simples :D (but as I said - not my work)

The pop-up box and e-mail notification of new PMs is working very well.
  12. I know it was a bit vague :) Below is a screenshot which I should have included earlier, sorry.

The notification was 1, but when I had opened and deleted 1 pm the notifications suddenly went up to 100. All my old pm's are flagged as "unread" at the moment. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd let you know what happened.

Attached Files:

13. I have tried to send message to Mushroom but his box is full, says it won't clear. I have tried to empty mine but makes no difference,will someone please send me a message to test???
    Also, the pics I posted initally on 'Black Bull' thread now only show a load of gobbledegook numbers.
  14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Coo! messages from 2006 which I had forgotten ALL about

Tankys Yank still around?

remember 'Hot Hot Herrenbloke' ! Ay caramba

Will take action as above to delete (again) and export saved to PC file.

QUESTION: Is it possible to rig a System warning message that says

' Your PM box is about to stop working. Spend 2 minutes housekeeping you idle toerag!'
  15. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Just checked mine [I've long since cleared the 700 PMs re-improrted to my In Box ;) ]

I now appear to have a capacity for 200 PMs, rather than the 100 mentioned earlier.