Right Marker Drill Movements

Could anyone please enlighten me as to what the correct drill comands and movements are for the right marker whilst getting on parade

Any help much appreciated

The geezer with the big badge, tash and pointy stick shouts, you march as he showed you, simple.

WOIII said:
The geezer with the big badge, tash and pointy stick shouts, you march as he showed you, simple.
thanks for the help if none.

know most of it up to dressing off in open order but its the bit after that

Flyer, don't ask me im always the left hand marker, last man SIR!!!!

Stilts

ok,

"Right...." [Everyone brace up]

"Marker!" [Marker comes to attention, remainder go to 'at ease', rpause of TWO THREE, marker marches forward 15 paces ( count them 1, 2, 3, etc 12, 13, 14 ONE TWO (the halt bit), pause TWO THREE and stands at ease.

"Get on.." [marker and remainder brace up]

"Parade!" Marker and remainder come to attention, remainder march forward and halt to reform the squad and stand at ease after the pause TWO THREE

Airfix said:
ok,

"Marker!" [Marker comes to attention, remainder go to 'at ease', rpause of TWO THREE, marker marches forward 15 paces ( count them 1, 2, 3, etc 12, 13, 14 ONE TWO (the halt bit), pause TWO THREE and stands at ease.

"Parade!" Marker and remainder come to attention, remainder march forward and halt to reform the squad and stand at ease after the pause TWO THREE
thank you I'm hoping you can help then

ok do you know what are the complete drill movements after "in open order right dress is given"

I take it your the tallest person in your unit, 1st question where you on the drill TP's on your recruits course. 2 why nt ask a Drill Instructor in your unit to take you through the drill movements!!!

Stilts

STILTS said:
I take it your the tallest person in your unit, 1st question where you on the drill TP's on your recruits course. 2 why nt ask a Drill Instructor in your unit to take you through the drill movements!!!

Stilts
no not the tallest im afraid but as im the cuty person it comes down to me to be the right marker

ashamed to add being a non drill type soldier drill is not my forte

unless there up tommorow morning early i wont be able to ask anyone ;-)

cheers anyway

Flyer said:
Airfix said:
ok,

thank you I'm hoping you can help then

ok do you know what are the complete drill movements after "in open order right dress is given"
Yep,

front rank takes pace forward, rear rank takes pace to rear, pause 2, 3, all except right markers turn head and eyes to right, pause 2, 3, then small step shuffle til dressed off.

eyes front on, er, well EYES FRONT!

Heres a little tip for you in the future, its called the 7 'P'S

PRIOR
PLANNING
& PREPERATION
PREVENTS
PISS
POOR
PERFORMANCE

STILTS

STILTS said:
Heres a little tip for you in the future, its called the 7 'P'S

PRIOR
PLANNING
& PREPERATION
PREVENTS
PISS
POOR
PERFORMANCE

STILTS
Give the guy a break, pyss poor planning would mean him posting this at 0755 in the a.m. not at round midnight the day before! :D

I've done it once, and that was 20 years ago....

It's something alomg the lines of:

Parade - Right Dress!
Eyes Front!

RM turns left and corrects individual dressings.

3rd man, forward! (3rd man shuffles forward) - Steady!
5th man, back! (5th man shuffles backwards) - Steady!

When happy with the front rank,

Front Rank - Stand at ease!

RM does left turn, marches two paces, halts and right turns. Repeats process with centre rank, finishing with,

Centre Rank - Stand at ease!

RM does left turn, marches two paces, halts and right turns. Repeats process with rear rank, finishing with,

Rear Rank - Stand at ease!

RM then does right turn, marches 4 paces, halts, dresses himself off with the front rank, then stands at ease.

putteesinmyhands said:

Parade - Right Dress!
Eyes Front!

RM does left turn, marches two paces, halts and right turns. Repeats process with centre rank, finishing with,

RM does left turn, marches two paces, halts and right turns. Repeats process with rear rank, finishing with,

RM then does right turn, marches 4 paces, halts and dresses himself off with the front rank.
after marching the 4 paces back to front rank do i then have to left turn and march 4 paces back to meet the parade then right turn and dress off ?

Flyer said:
after marching the 4 paces back to front rank do i then have to left turn and march 4 paces back to meet the parade then right turn and dress off ?
Well.... I didn't, but on that occasion, I had to be somebody else as well (there weren't all that many of us), so my next movement was to right turn and wheel to take up position behind the parade.

At least, that was the plan in the rehearsal. It all went t!ts up when the co-star of the show turned up. He hadn't been briefed on the procedure and c*cked it up with a "Gather round, lads." :roll:

Thanks anyway to the Coldstream Staffy who persevered with us for that week in Gib.

Flyer said:
putteesinmyhands said:

Parade - Right Dress!
Eyes Front!

RM then does right turn, marches 4 paces, halts and dresses himself off with the front rank.
As I recall it over the mists of time, the RM marches the 4 paces back to his start point, left turn to face the front ranks and orders 'Eyes Front' at that stage. As the heads and eyes click over, he steps off 4 paces towards the front rank, halts, right turns to advance, eyes left and dresses himself, then eyes front.

At which point IC Parade takes over.

So my errors are:
1. Eyes front at end, not at the beginning.
2. Ranks aren't stood at ease until it's all finished.

And the RM starts off 4 paces to the right, closing in at the end? Or is there a right turn and march 4 paces in there somewhere?

I'm not arguing, mine was only the once and it was a long time ago, but I may as well know for next time.

Wonder how Flyer got on..... :oops:

(Somehow, never got taught drill - too busy practicing being crushed under Soviet tanks I suppose)

Can you imagine my pleasure after staying up til the late hours finding out the correct drill movements to then awaken to..............

no alarm as there was a power cut in the block. ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHH

But its ok as I get my chance to show my newfound drill skills next week as I voluntered myself for an extra week of duty for my trouble.

Oh well one of those things I guess.

As they say lifes a big learning curve.

Big thanks to everyone who contributed (Airfix esp)

Muchos Gracias

Flyer

Airfix said:
ok,

Ok I never knew what went on after this stage when I was at SEME Bordon in the late 80's as the RSM would of stopped me and said get to shaggin jail

putteesinmyhands said:
So my errors are:
1. Eyes front at end, not at the beginning.
2. Ranks aren't stood at ease until it's all finished.

And the RM starts off 4 paces to the right, closing in at the end? Or is there a right turn and march 4 paces in there somewhere?

I'm not arguing, mine was only the once and it was a long time ago, but I may as well know for next time.

Wonder how Flyer got on..... :oops:

(Somehow, never got taught drill - too busy practicing being crushed under Soviet tanks I suppose)
Being freakishly tall for a Scottish regiment, I found myself doing this far too often for my shy and retiring constitution.

The parade will have marched on to stop with the front rank right hand man 1 pace to his left while he's stood like a plum trying not to scratch my (erm.. I mean his) balls. On the command "In the open order, right dress" he takes 1 pace forward with the front rank, then makes a right turn and steps out 4 paces, about turns and begins the dressing of the ranks as above.

I have seen it done where the front rank steps forward but the RM doesn't and dresses them back level with him i.e. where they started. I suspect that was just an affectation, though, designed to give the audience a lot of moving to look at. It just struck me as a mindless fuckabout.

There are indeed variations on the theme.

Going back 30(ahem) years, I was involved in one which had NO drill commands from "Get on Parade!" until the parade was standing at ease at the end. In this the "Eyes Front" was initiated by the RM eyes fronting from having been looking left, each man along the line of the parade eyes fronting when the man to the right had completed his. (Think Mexican Wave). When he judged that all eyes fronting had been completed, the RM stood at ease and this was followed along the parade, again in Mexican Wave style.

Done properly, it was impressive, but it only took one bloke to be out in his pause timing to throw the whole shebang into confusion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Flyer RLC 15
Forces_Sweetheart The Intelligence Cell 20
E The Intelligence Cell 0