Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifles regiment and joining

Hello I'm in my final few months of year 11 now and I am applying for the army next month.
I've made my mind up on the job role I'm going for and that is infantry.
I like the look of the rifles regiment and I was wondering if anyone who is in the rifle regiment or worked with them thinks this is a good choice compared to other similar regiments ?

Also if there is any riflemen here would you be able to tell me your opinions on each battalion and which one presents the best opportunities . Thank you

Hello I'm in my final few months of year 11 now and I am applying for the army next month.
I've made my mind up on the job role I'm going for and that is infantry.
I like the look of the rifles regiment and I was wondering if anyone who is in the rifle regiment or worked with them thinks this is a good choice compared to other similar regiments ?

Also if there is any riflemen here would you be able to tell me your opinions on each battalion and which one presents the best opportunities . Thank you
Have a look here for some history about one of the Rifles descendants. Devon and Dorsets and Light Infantry were also relevant. The modern evolution is a highly professional outfit. Best of luck.
Royal Green Jackets Regimental Association

RGJ1986

Crow
I was 2nd Battalion Green jackets, now 4 rifles I believe it is. To be honest I don't think it should be an actual consideration with regards to which regiment you get placed into, this may change at the end of your training anyway... I joined years ago and some of the lads got put into 1st battalion etc...

I joined at 17 and the infantry was a different place back then, from todays infantry so I hear... Wouldn't get away with half the stuff we did back in 2003!

Conclusion - Do it mate! You'll meet some amazing people you'll learn to call your brothers and gain some amazing life skills......

Go for it.

I was not infantry but I worked closely with 1 RIFLES who are the support Battalion for the Commando Brigade. The ethos of the Rifles is that of a clever, resourceful soldier who can operate in a small team, away from support and acting swiftly on his own initiative.

I cannot say they are better or worse than any other regiment but I enjoyed working with them and if you go for it you will be joining a Regiment with fine, proud history and an enviable reputation. Good luck what ever you decide.

Well they have the best band in the British Army as a starter for 10.

Everyone else ambles along at a snails pace when marching apart from the Gurkhas. Regimental history is something to be proud of - particularly the Light Infantry and DLI (not that I have any opinion on the matter or any bias).

County regiments were always great places to be but I’m not sure now if there is any streaming into regiments based on your geography. They come from great stock and heritage and are the best by a country mile.

Great choice. Enjoy it.

I was 1RGJ back in the seventies when god was still a boy so I’m not qualified to compare today’s army with back then.

I will say though that the Green Jacket way of soldiering was different to what we used to refer to as the heavy mob.

The emphasis was on individual soldiers giving it 110% without being needlessly subjected to bull and all that that entails etc.

Were we considered good squaddies? You’d have to ask others but in four and a half years in the battalion, I did four operational tours. Three across the water and a UN tour. No doubt, if we hadn’t been sent to the UN, we’d have been back across the water instead.

Plus we still did loads of other stuff including a trip to South America, a public duties stint and various training exercises around the UK. For example, we trialled Milan which meant running around Salisbury Plain with lumps of concrete on four legs.

The Rifles are supposed to be a chip off the old block. Of course the whole army has changed hugely since those days but regardless of that, the Rifles in infantry terms does offer the most opportunities simply because it is the largest infantry regiment covering a range of infantry roles.

Do expect when you get to my age though to be prone to your eyes tending to get a little moist when you hear a bugle and see lads wearing black buttons on their uniforms marching around at 140 paces a minute.

Alzheimers is a bitch!

I was 1RGJ back in the seventies when god was still a boy so I’m not qualified to compare today’s army with back then.

I will say though that the Green Jacket way of soldiering was different to what we used to refer to as the heavy mob.

The emphasis was on individual soldiers giving it 110% without being needlessly subjected to bull and all that that entails etc.

Were we considered good squaddies? You’d have to ask others but in four and a half years in the battalion, I did four operational tours. Three across the water and a UN tour. No doubt, if we hadn’t been sent to the UN, we’d have been back across the water instead.

Plus we still did loads of other stuff including a trip to South America, a public duties stint and various training exercises around the UK. For example, we trialled Milan which meant running around Salisbury Plain with lumps of concrete on four legs.

The Rifles are supposed to be a chip off the old block. Of course the whole army has changed hugely since those days but regardless of that, the Rifles in infantry terms does offer the most opportunities simply because it is the largest infantry regiment covering a range of infantry roles.

Do expect when you get to my age though to be prone to your eyes tending to get a little moist when you hear a bugle and see lads wearing black buttons on their uniforms marching around at 140 paces a minute.

Alzheimers is a bitch!
54 years ago this week I arrived at the Depot. Can't believe it's over half a century ago.

I was 2nd Battalion Green jackets, now 4 rifles I believe

I joined at 17 and the infantry was a different place back then, from todays infantry so I hear... Wouldn't get away with half the stuff we did back in 2003!

Conclusion - Do it mate! You'll meet some amazing people you'll learn to call your brothers and gain some amazing life skills......

Go for it.
Or earlier, say early 1990s

exspy

LE
Does this take anyone back? Dated 1971.

RGJ Depot Aug 1971 Recruit Training.jpg

Does this take anyone back? Dated 1971.

I joined the army as a boy soldier in 1971 at 15 years of age and did two years at Shornecliffe. I was at Winchester depot for just six weeks in 1973 before passing out and going off to Germany.

This photo of depot is typical of what you would see back in those days.

My son is at Catterick at moment and he was going into Rifles but now Fusiliers. There seems to be less emphasis now on joining the "local Regt" and its wherever there is a need/manning requirement. You may find yourself going where the Army needs you.

Latest Threads