Rifles & RA

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by LJKennedy, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now then all, got a fair bit to go yet but should have my second interview date back end of January, just having trouble deciding my first and second choice, I've got RA down for my first and rifles for my second. If I stick with RA and get in could I switch regiments further into my career?

Sent from my HTC One S

2. Why would you want to go from artillery then to infantry once you've done your artillery training? Doesn't make any sense. And yes, you can transfer later on.

3. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

There is a possibility to transfer but it is getting harder and harder. RA would have to agree to losing a trained soldier and Rifles agree to take you. I know of two Bdrs who wanted to transfer from 2 RA Regts but CO's said no. They then signed off and tried to re-enlist but into different cap badges. Bothe were refused by APC. So while there is potential don't bank on it. Current climate sees enough people joining to fill the vacancies.

4. Honestly don't know myself, I'd like to do both really but obviously can't so if it allows it in the future why not but like been said I won't bank on it but thanks for that anyway.

Sent from my HTC One S

5. AIUI the Rifles have a waiting list. Can pick and choose..

6. You might want to compare the pay bands as well.

7. I believe that once you've been accepted you sign a job acceptance letter (or something like that) which makes it difficult to transfer at a later stage.

As sup rec stated above, it might not be easy of even possible to transfer at a later stage so I would advise you to sit down and make sure that you choose the job you REALLY want and not join the first one available in the hope you can change at a later date.

8. Right I see that's a new one my recruiter didn't mention but if that's the case I'll still stick with RA, shame there making it more difficult to transfer though that's what attracted me to the army, the varied roles and jobs you can do in your career

Sent from my HTC One S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.