Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

Begger the young ones. Keep them off.
Only folks. 55 or over only. Anyone over 70 has free access to soft chair and TV monitor showing hits. In big black dots. With dayglow arrow's. Pointing at your target

Begger the young ones. Keep them off.
Only folks. 55 or over only. Anyone over 70 has free access to soft chair and TV monitor showing hits. In big black dots. With dayglow arrow's. Pointing at your target

Our Club Secretary is 76 and I made the mistake of suggesting we use electronic targets at Bisley which they provide an iPad for. The response was quite entertaining!

Our Club Secretary is 76 and I made the mistake of suggesting we use electronic targets at Bisley which they provide an iPad for. The response was quite entertaining!
They are a flipping godsend for any club loosing members. Anyone with an iPad or smart phone can follow other competitors shots or their own without the need for a length of down pipe with a lens at each end. Saves on the number of helpers required, is faster and more accurate.

I also went to the range on Saturday with the intention of sighting in and gaining some experience with the .308 target rifle which I have had for a few years but for one reason or another (mostly due to the testicle squeezing price of everything else I require for the sport) I have only had one chance to shoot the bloody thing. Well, due to a monumental failure on my part I managed to pick up the wrong bolt from the gun safe. :crying: Some days I shouldn't be allowed out without supervision.:frustrated:

They are a flipping godsend for any club loosing members. Anyone with an iPad or smart phone can follow other competitors shots or their own without the need for a length of down pipe with a lens at each end. Saves on the number of helpers required, is faster and more accurate.

I also went to the range on Saturday with the intention of sighting in and gaining some experience with the .308 target rifle which I have had for a few years but for one reason or another (mostly due to the testicle squeezing price of everything else I require for the sport) I have only had one chance to shoot the bloody thing. Well, due to a monumental failure on my part I managed to pick up the wrong bolt from the gun safe. :crying: Some days I shouldn't be allowed out without supervision.:frustrated:

The problem with older club members at our club is when we shoot, the club always ends of making compromises which are weighted in favour of the older members. What the means is the maximum range we shoot at is 300m, either because they are blind as bats or have a collection of classic rifles. The last shoot was on the 200m lanes at century, which thoroughly pissed me off, particularly as two of them buggered off after 15 rounds each leaving four of us with the lane and butts to manage. Fortunately there was me + one other RSO so at least I got to shoot as we rotated. The simple answer would have been an electronic target, which is what I use when I turn out to shoot at 300m+ at Bisley with a mate of mine. I like the electronic targets but the club is very cost conscious (everyone is over 400 years old and don't want to pay for it).

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The problem with older club members at our club is when we shoot, the club always ends of making compromises which are weighted in favour of the older members. What the means is the maximum range we shoot at is 300m, either because they are blind as bats or have a collection of classic rifles. The last shoot was on the 200m lanes at century, which thoroughly pissed me off, particularly as two of them buggered off after 15 rounds each leaving four of us with the lane and butts to manage. Fortunately there was me + one other RSO so at least I got to shoot as we rotated. The simple answer would have been an electronic target, which is what I use when I turn out to shoot at 300m+ at Bisley with a mate of mine. I like the electronic targets but the club is very cost conscious (everyone is over 400 years old and don't want to pay for it).
I feel your pain....

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’ve never got involved in full bore rifle clubs and this is the reason why. I was lucky in that at my old stalking lease I had targets out to 600m where the Gamekeepers tested various loads, the only twat was having to use the quad to go and check the targets. That said I tend to mostly shoot deer so once I know the ballistic drop for each rifle I don’t tend to do paper stuff albeit my new at my new bit I could probably get out to 800m till they replant but it wouldn’t be on the flat........ you’ve got me thinking now though :-D!!

HSF

LE
Have a care gents ,you will all be old & decropi one day,dont go down the ageists route.We need to b united against a govt & civil service that is hostile.If there is a problem within your club,address & discuss to resolve it.
happy shooting to all

New Toy.

Fazakerley No5mk1 'Jungle Carbine'

Made in January 1945

Won at auction on a local Trade Me page Im really happy with this.
Good overall condition, V-good barrel sharp rifling.
Put a quick 10 through it last weekend, its loud and kicks :)
Been sourcing ammos for it this week, got 3 diff types to try some decent grouping this coming weekend, will be taking it out spotlighting after wallabies for the shits and giggles.

Was invented by a bloke named Jeff Cooper, true story.......
received_761129921442879.jpeg
received_297476145114576.jpeg
received_476490476902045.jpeg
received_320308849525527.jpeg
received_1313574815693691.jpeg
received_794480151501286.jpeg
received_2191857604282720.jpeg
received_2832483933670002.jpeg
received_184245703417514.jpeg
received_255411349602715.jpeg

received_317116129750795.jpeg
received_2857046327890228.jpeg
received_802770630640167.jpeg

New Toy.

Made in January 1945

Been sourcing ammos for it this week, got 3 diff types to try some decent grouping this coming weekend, will be taking it out spotlighting after wallabies for the shits and giggles.

View attachment 567031View attachment 567032View attachment 567033View attachment 567034View attachment 567035View attachment 567036View attachment 567037View attachment 567038View attachment 567039View attachment 567040
View attachment 567028View attachment 567029View attachment 567030
Oh you jammy Dodger. I have allways wanted this. They don't come up that oft

Looks to be on good nick and not a knock off - which is nice.

A lot of the bearing surfaces are very polished so that's a sign of regular use.

Do not get too twitchy about accuracy, these rifles were not designed to be precision "tack drivers", a consistent 4 inch group at 100 Yards is within acceptable bounds IIRC.

After all, for the Mk 1's and Mk 4's a test group of 5 rounds of between 2 - 4 inches at 100 yards was the acceptable factory pass standard.

Lots of "guff" on T'interweb about the problems of a "wandering zero", personally, I'm inclined to ascribe this to the firers anticipation of recoil and so, precursive flinching.

Ammo? - Too easy to get too hung up on working on loads that produce tighter groups, far better to look for a load that you actually enjoy shooting, some Smellies like heavier bullets ( 190 grain) and less propellant, equally some work best with lighter bullets ( 150 grain) sitting ontop of a larger pile of propellant go figure.

Anywho, above all enjoy.

After all, for the Mk 1's and Mk 4's a test group of 5 rounds of between 2 - 4 inches at 100 yards was the acceptable factory pass standard.

Nerp, there was never a test at 100 yds. Sorry.

Also which "Mk 1" and which "Mk 4" are you referring to? There's Mk 1 designations for the No.1, No. 2, No.3, No.4, No.5, No.6, No.7 and No. 8, and there's Mk 4 designations for the No. 1 and No.2 series, which are the only ones which got that high.

Every day is a schoolday, long live lifelong learning.

As ever, happy to be corrected. The No 1 's I was referring were the Mk 1's to the Mk 5's, the No 4's were the Mk 1's and Mk2's.

The information regarding acceptable factory accuracy standards came from the chap who runs "Highgrove Classic Firearms" whose name temporarily eludes me.

Every day is a schoolday, long live lifelong learning.

As ever, happy to be corrected. The No 1 's I was referring were the Mk 1's to the Mk 5's, the No 4's were the Mk 1's and Mk2's.

The information regarding acceptable factory accuracy standards came from the chap who runs "Highgrove Classic Firearms" whose name temporarily eludes me.
He's wrong. They were all tested at 100 feet, 4 out of 5 shots into a rectangle 1.5" high and 1" wide, no touching the line allowed, and a proportion (10% off the top of my head) were tested at 600 yards, 9 of 10 into a 24" circle for the No.1 and 9 of 10 into an 18" square for the No.4. The 600 yd test included any that were iffy at 100 feet.

New Toy.

Made in January 1945

That looks brill, very tidy indeed.

The No5 is much maligned but is a lovely carbine IMO, mine was properly fettled some years ago and is very consistent out to 300 yards, but that is my self imposed limit due to old eyes. It is very unforgiving and will magnify any errors in your marksmanship techniques, do it right and it hits where pointed. The recoil is a little more noticeable but very controllable.
I was lucky with mine, it had very little wear and even came with a brand spanker’s, spare (original) barrel.
You have done well with that one, she looks a beaut ;-)

I think I may have come up with a plausible theory as to the "wandering zero" myth, which is actually super simple.

A certain proportion of No.5's just group badly.
If you use a 5 shot group to zero them, as was the style at the time, there's a fairly high probability that your 5 shots' MPI won't be near the actual MPI. Have a play at refreshing this little spreadsheet thingy I did, and see how often the MPI is actually quite a whack out (type something into an empty cell to make it refresh): I need to look in the pam again to see if they shot a check group or not. But assuming they didn't, if you then take the same rifle and shoot it again for zero tomorrow, there's a high probability that your 5 shot MPI will be... somewhere else, to the point that they'd adjust zero again.

Which corresponds mostly exactly to the wording of the myth, and with observations on real rifles today.

Carbon 6

War Hero
New Toy.

Made in January 1945

View attachment 567031View attachment 567032View attachment 567033View attachment 567034View attachment 567035View attachment 567036View attachment 567037View attachment 567038View attachment 567039View attachment 567040
View attachment 567028View attachment 567029View attachment 567030

That’s a beauty. I enjoy mine and as you say, with the rubber pad as hard as a rock, it has a bit of a kick. Mine was manufactured a few months later so probably missed all the excitement.

B78664B1-488E-4D46-BE3A-5AA9A39B3C1B.jpeg

Latest Threads