Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

I've never seen what might be called a Sterling demonstration piece - a conversion with their factory marks.

Neither do any of the full conversions carry any sort of WD/MoD mark, as you'd expect if they had been done for trials.

However most of the full conversions I've seen were obviously on unused Mk1/2 upgraded rifles or - as with the one you've shown - rifles that were then refinished with pukka suncorite.

I'm guessing that a batch of the full conversions was done by a trade gunsmith at the order of Sterling, or as a commercial venture using the kits. Given the poor relations between Sterling and the MoD, I doubt the army touched any of the kits themselves.

The Charnwood rifles tend to be complete bitsas, whereas the Sterlings are usually based on a complete original rifle.
Mine's a Mk.1/2 FTR(F) rifle, with IIRC a matching bolt (I'll look when I get home). A-suffix to the serial number though, which is interesting. It's clearly been refinished again prior to conversion - the feed ramp is refinished and untouched by copper/brass, and the FTR markings are underneath the finish and weak.

Remington model 81 semi auto in .35 Remington. hold five cartridges
Tis a long recoil action, made in 1949 this particular rifle

Designed by John M Browning and originally marketed as the Model 8 in 1903
IMG_0609.JPG

Springfield Armory M1 Garand, May/June 44 production, Ignore the 40mm cases and enbloc of M2 AP
IMG_0639.JPG

HE117

LE
Just to bring you up to date with my latest efforts in the workshop.. a mate brought a gun into me for some TLC and de-bubbaing!

The rifle in question was a Walther Sport model V. A single shot, pre war .22 rifle in the sporting style. Another mate had bought it through a "well known auction site" but was a "bit disappointed" when it arrived, and it had been languishing at the back of a gun cabinet ever since...

The gun was in a pretty sorry state...

1. Someone had decided to shorten the stock at some point and lopped about 2" off the stock. Why anyone would want to do this confuses me as the rifle is far too long and heavy for a youth gun and was completely unbalanced by the modification. At some point the stock had been re-lengthened by glueing and screwing a roughly shaped block of wood to the stock with two long screws, but with no attempt at matching it up with the existing stock.

2. A large steel bushing had been threaded into the forend stock for some purpose that escapes me. It was far too far back for a bipod and was very roughly made.

4. None of the stock screws were present or the barrel bearing nut which dovetailed into the underside of the action. The rifle had obviously been used with telescopic sights as the iron rear sight and foreside blades had been remove, but leaving the mountings. The proper trigger guard was missing and had been replaced with one of the wrong size held in place with electrical tape..

5. Despite the fact that the rifle was a pre war, single shot .22 someone had decided it needed to have its muzzle threaded for a sound moderator, now missing and with threads exposed...

Arrrgh...!

The first job was to strip down the beast and see if there were any other gremlins.. yup an internal stock crack and a cracked firing pin...

The stock had obviously been sanded at some point after being cut down and the edges of the butt were rounded over. I had to cut the stock back another 1/2" to get to a point where the stock was parallel. I could then fix a block of walnut to replace the missing stock. (you can see the old block in the blue tray..)
IMG_1812small.jpg

The extension piece was fixed in place with black agraglass and long screws. The stock had obviously been split previously (How?) and partially fixed, however a large gap had been left between the rear action screw and the trigger slot. This got filled with a sliver of walnut and more agraglass...

IMG_1813small.jpg

The next task was to remove the steel plug....

IMG_1814small.jpg

The hole was filled with a plug cut from walnut with the grain running in the appropriate direction...

The original trigger guard had been replaced with another one of the wrong type. I was able to borrow another MkV and copy the profile to allow me to machine and file a replacement from aluminium...

IMG_1816small.jpg

This at least allowed me to line up the action screws and make up new ones...

To deal with the bare muzzle threads, I made a new muzzle cap and blued it. I also managed to find a matching pre-war Zeiss scope that would fit it.. The barrel and action were also a bit scabby, so I ran it through the steam pipe a few times to freshen up the blue..

IMG_1817small.jpg

After the agraglass on the stock had set up, I was then able to bring it down to the profile of the stock using chisel and spokeshaves. I also used one of these Japanese rasps that look like a bundle of hacksaw blades riveted together.. very good and highly recommended!

IMG_1819small.jpg

Finally the rest of the stock was re-sanded and re-finished and a new butt plate fitted. I freshened up the chequering and finished the stock with alkanet and rapid oil which brought it all to an even colour..

IMG_1820small.jpg

The last job was to test fire it which showed up a burr on the chamber which prevented it from ejecting cases! .22s of this era are a bit prone to this and is a result of dry firing! I have a special tool that irons down the bump!

All done and back to the owner....!

Last edited:
I'm on the scrounge - does anyone from these parts happen to have a slack handful of 7.62 NATO stripper clips that are surplus to requirements? I've gone through my stuff and only have 11 and now I have a rifle that uses them... (also posted in the other thread)

gorilla

War Hero
I'm getting out of the rifle game, so if anyone is after a .243 or a DPT mod or scope let me know.

4(T)

LE
I once had an ''odd'' SMLE

BSA 1915 version made without cutting the receiver for the cutoff lever?

Stock marked RWF on the bottom by the grip and windage adjustable backsight

Id always been told they dropped the cutoff in 1916

Are you sure it was a 1915? On many with worn stamping, its hard to tell if its 1915, 1916 or 1918.

Are you sure it was a 1915? On many with worn stamping, its hard to tell if its 1915, 1916 or 1918.
yeah 1915 fairly clear stamping job, stock was cut for the Cutoff but receiver never slotted for it

Twas a BSA

Very Partial collection of 3 of us up at our camp

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
yeah 1915 fairly clear stamping job, stock was cut for the Cutoff but receiver never slotted for it

Twas a BSA

It seems that BSA started cutting corners way before the official approval, but 1915 is really early for a non-cut receiver.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
My BSA No1 Mk3 is dated 1915, but has the cut off recess machined. As stated before, it's a bitsa gatt, but it presumably came from the factory with cut off fitted.

4(T)

LE

Twas a BSA

Very unusual. BSA was pretty sharp on building rifles to government spec, and 1915 is well before the cut-off was permitted to be dropped.

IIRC the few reported examples of uncut MkIIIs all date from 1916 during the transition period. They generally have the "*" over-stamped later. Presumably rifle production cracked on whilst they were getting the roll-stamp cut for the No1 MkIII* designations.

Most uncut No1MkIII* rifles that still had the cut-off boss in place were later cut and had the star barred out. The No1 MkIII with cut-off remained the standard military pattern until 1939, and so any rifle with the facility was retrofitted. Thats why there are so many "star barred out" rifles around.

Latest Threads