Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

Sitting chez my US exporter currently :)

1608661260410.png

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Is that yet another ropey AR18 locally manufactured in some third world sh1thole? You could have bought a FAL at least...
I'll tell the Aussies you called Straya a third world Sh1thole.... :D

I have a Proper FAL, made in Birmingham. Don't need anything like that out the US - there's far more interesting FAL's available on the Continong, and far cheaper too :)

I`m most impressed he can supply magazines ,Magpul have all but dried up lately with Septics panic buying.
They came with the rifle :)

When they arrive I'll have zillions of STANAG ones.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll tell the Aussies you called Straya a third world Sh1thole.... :D

I have a Proper FAL, made in Birmingham. Don't need anything like that out the US - there's far more interesting FAL's available on the Continong, and far cheaper too :)
Pretty sure they know

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
i suspect we’ve seen the end of range shooting until after Easter....

Personally I doubt it because that National Shooting Centre will be desperate to make more money at Bisley. I reckon they'll open as soon as it is defined as legal to be open.

Personally I doubt it because that National Shooting Centre will be desperate to make more money at Bisley. I reckon they'll open as soon as it is defined as legal to be open.
Totally agree. I didn’t get my point across very well in my post - I think we will be in lock down til April so they won’t be able to open.

1608724118074.png

So that's a full bells-and-whistles conversion - barrel, mag, extractor, charger guide, ejector mod. From the look of the mag, and the grease in the chamber, it looks like it's not been fired post conversion. Looking around, the Charnwood conversions seem to lack the ejector mod and the charger guide adapter (which is a solid thing bolted on, not the pressed bit of wriggly tin used by Enfield with L8's...)

Receiver's a Mk.1/2 Faz FTR, and isn't marked "Sterling".

Had a bit more of a look over it:

- From the mag and feed ramp it's not been fired other than for proof.
- Stocking-up is a bit off but not drastic (not consistent down pressure and a little bit of touching to the right, will shoot before adjusting it in any case. Might try a cork shim as a poor man's centre bearing since there's quite a lot of leeway at the muzzle and the Canadian experience with the DCRA rifles shows light-barrel 7.62 No.4's shoot best centre bedded).
- The massive bolt-on charger guide is MUCH better than the wriggly tin pinned in Enfield one, and actually reaches to the nubs in the middle of a charger (although it is a bit on the tight side laterally).

4(T)

LE
Charnwoods just relied on the Enfield mag to do the ejecting.

They are very hit and miss; I'm not sure they check-milled the receivers, or just picked rifles that the mags seemed to fit straight off.

It didn't help matters when Charnwood went on to make the repro Enfield mags which, although to the eye dimensionally correct, never seem to work well in any rifle.

Charnwoods just relied on the Enfield mag to do the ejecting.

They are very hit and miss; I'm not sure they check-milled the receivers, or just picked rifles that the mags seemed to fit straight off.

It didn't help matters when Charnwood went on to make the repro Enfield mags which, although to the eye dimensionally correct, never seem to work well in any rifle.
I've seen pics of Charnwoods with the Sterling mag, like this one which I presume is just a barrel, Sterling mag and Enfield or Sterling extractor:
1608731506538.png

So mine's either done by Sterling without the receiver being engraved (were they even all engraved?), or by a gunsmith who went the whole hog and did all the bells and whistles. Deffo not a Charnwood though from what I've seen of them (CO serial number, not all the bells and whistles).

4(T)

LE
So mine's either done by Sterling without the receiver being engraved (were they even all engraved?), or by a gunsmith who went the whole hog and did all the bells and whistles. Deffo not a Charnwood though from what I've seen of them (CO serial number, not all the bells and whistles).

I've never seen what might be called a Sterling demonstration piece - a conversion with their factory marks.

Neither do any of the full conversions carry any sort of WD/MoD mark, as you'd expect if they had been done for trials.

However most of the full conversions I've seen were obviously on unused Mk1/2 upgraded rifles or - as with the one you've shown - rifles that were then refinished with pukka suncorite.

I'm guessing that a batch of the full conversions was done by a trade gunsmith at the order of Sterling, or as a commercial venture using the kits. Given the poor relations between Sterling and the MoD, I doubt the army touched any of the kits themselves.

The Charnwood rifles tend to be complete bitsas, whereas the Sterlings are usually based on a complete original rifle.

Latest Threads