Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

I think the example you give of a misaligned thread allowing the bullet to impact on a "muzzle attachment" is vanishingly unlikely.
It does happen with moderators. The chance of it doing so on a brake or flash suppressor is very tiny.

But the fact it happens with mods isn't an argument in favour of proofing them, just for gunsmiths to do it properly.

Indeed, the moderator-proofing-propaganda I saw at the Brum proof house when I was there over a decade ago was clearly a photo of a mod wrecked due to a baffle strike and not a pressure failure, a problem which will show itself with a simple test firing with a normal cartridge and doesn't require an action-stressing proof firing...

Quick question for the panel: Anyone shoot a Finnlight 2 with a sound moderator on the range?

I am thinking about acquiring one, which would mainly be used for stalking, however it would have to perform on the range from time to time and I wondered how it would handle the heat from extended courses of fire.
Thanks in advance.
B

HE117

LE
It does happen with moderators. The chance of it doing so on a brake or flash suppressor is very tiny.

But the fact it happens with mods isn't an argument in favour of proofing them, just for gunsmiths to do it properly.

Indeed, the moderator-proofing-propaganda I saw at the Brum proof house when I was there over a decade ago was clearly a photo of a mod wrecked due to a baffle strike and not a pressure failure, a problem which will show itself with a simple test firing with a normal cartridge and doesn't require an action-stressing proof firing...
I am no cheer leader for the proof houses whom I would add to my collection of narrow vested interests! Their various attempts at introducing periodic testing for example cuts no ice with me!

.. but some of the work I have come across had clearly never even been test fired! Part of the problem of course is the lack of suitable ranges and the difficulties of setting up testing facilities! My view is that we should get rid of the centralised proof houses and have a certification scheme for businesses that are equipped and trained to fit and test safety critical parts, however it is in many way a "who will bell the cat" problem, and I have even less trust in the processes that would be needed to set up such a thing.

If the National Firearms Factory can make such a cluster of designing, manufacturing and fielding the L85, what chance is there for the rest of us?

4o952r.jpg

I recently got this CZ 527 fully moderated .222 which I really like. There's not a huge amount of info out there it seems about them and I was told that they are no longer listed by CZ.

It is perfectly accurate with some very cheap Privi 45gr SP ammo I got with it and I also got some French subsonic stuff to try which seems horrifically expensive but no report yet (pun intended) as I have not had the chance to try it out. I intend to use it when required and shall no doubt be attempting to reload so of my own subsonic ammo in the near future.

Quick question for the panel: Anyone shoot a Finnlight 2 with a sound moderator on the range?

I am thinking about acquiring one, which would mainly be used for stalking, however it would have to perform on the range from time to time and I wondered how it would handle the heat from extended courses of fire.
Thanks in advance.
B

Thanks in advance.
B
I don’t know about the Finnlite 2 but I have an original Finnlite 75 and I wouldn’t bother considering it for range work with strings.

I’ll be honest they begin to wander after three or four shots. Don’t get me wrong at sensible ranges you can smash into groups of hinds no dramas but if I was looking for accuracy on the range I wouldn’t waste my handloads tbh.

Ive got this lovely little Mauser Model 201 in .22 win mag. Its circa 1980's and is stamped made in West Germany. Problem I have is that the magazine is damaged and consistently fails to feed. Ive searched online but can't seem to find where I can get hold of a replacement for it?
View attachment 524444
I would do the following-

Search/put Wanted on Egun

Email Mauser direct in Germany and they may sort you or alternatively try Blaser U.K. as the importer (I think).

Put a wanted add in Stalking directory/U.K. varminting.

Email/check the Frankonia Jagd and/or Allsport Jagd - both sites I think have translator but either will email you back promptly.

Try the likes of Emma custom rifles (I think they’re called) on guntrader as it’s the sort of stuff he deals with or Edinburgh Rifles as again he has a lot of this sort of stuff. Sloans International in Inverurie may have but Sloany isn’t renowned for being the cheapest.

Hexi Bloke

Old-Salt
I would do the following-

Search/put Wanted on Egun

Email Mauser direct in Germany and they may sort you or alternatively try Blaser U.K. as the importer (I think).

Put a wanted add in Stalking directory/U.K. varminting.

Email/check the Frankonia Jagd and/or Allsport Jagd - both sites I think have translator but either will email you back promptly.

Try the likes of Emma custom rifles (I think they’re called) on guntrader as it’s the sort of stuff he deals with or Edinburgh Rifles as again he has a lot of this sort of stuff. Sloans International in Inverurie may have but Sloany isn’t renowned for being the cheapest.
Many thanks Mick, thats given me plenty of avenues to try, your a star mate.

I don’t know about the Finnlite 2 but I have an original Finnlite 75 and I wouldn’t bother considering it for range work with strings.

I’ll be honest they begin to wander after three or four shots. Don’t get me wrong at sensible ranges you can smash into groups of hinds no dramas but if I was looking for accuracy on the range I wouldn’t waste my handloads tbh.
Thanks for that. The 85 has a fluted (but still short barrel) so I guessed that Sako might be concerned about overheating.

That may well prove to be the last shoot of the year. Quick 100m today and it was sodding cold.

03E025BB-752F-4497-96DD-78748CE985FA.jpeg

I’m feeling the need for another rifle

you can never have enough guns

Lovely looking rifle and equally nice looking, well maintained range.

rifle was a pain - long story.

the range is really nice - a long way but worth the trek. Only three of us shooting today and there are 7 lanes

Hexi Bloke

Old-Salt
The range I use is not bad, but not as well maintained as yours. We have a 6 lane - 25m, a 6 lane 50m and a12 lane 100m. All set in an old lyme quarry which affords a massively high back-stop. All firing points are under-cover. Picture below of 100m range....bit misty
20180127_113823_resized.jpg

rifle was a pain - long story.

the range is really nice - a long way but worth the trek. Only three of us shooting today and there are 7 lanes
Are they amenable to new members? I have a Fac and stalk a little but would like to try do some range work

Are they amenable to new members? I have a Fac and stalk a little but would like to try do some range work
There is a local club that use the range. I can’t remember what they are called. My club is in Oxfordshire. The range is next to Cheltenham. I’ll look into it later or is you google Stoke orchard refuse centre then range is beside it. You can see the club details on a sign outside the range if you use google earth or I’ll have a look into the details for you tomorrow.