Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

BMS CONCAM s/n 100 has arrived at my dealer!!!

1600337126189.png

1601582487621.png

Had the SAR80 out at 300m today. It was definitely unfired (although it had clearly been drilled/trained with) since after the ammo I put through it the bolt face showed clear signs of firing which it didn't have before. It took a little time to settle in, too, which is another sign, but it shot OK. It didn't like being rested on the mag much, and strung vertically a bit as a result, but we'll see if that settles out of it over time. Trigger is moist nugget style without a clean break. Sights are fine. It shot both 55gn and Swiss 5,6mm GP90 to the same point of impact (and didn't tumble the latter so it's tight twist). Nice cheek weld, very light recoil, the only real oddity is that the mag release is where your finger goes when you've got it along the receiver so you can drop the mag accidentally...

1601830325794.png

HSF

LE
Had the SAR80 out at 300m today. It was definitely unfired (although it had clearly been drilled/trained with) since after the ammo I put through it the bolt face showed clear signs of firing which it didn't have before. It took a little time to settle in, too, which is another sign, but it shot OK. It didn't like being rested on the mag much, and strung vertically a bit as a result, but we'll see if that settles out of it over time. Trigger is moist nugget style without a clean break. Sights are fine. It shot both 55gn and Swiss 5,6mm GP90 to the same point of impact (and didn't tumble the latter so it's tight twist). Nice cheek weld, very light recoil, the only real oddity is that the mag release is where your finger goes when you've got it along the receiver so you can drop the mag accidentally...
I thing later ones had some sort of protective ridge around it?

I thing later ones had some sort of protective ridge around it?
It does have a protective ridge around the front side of it, protecting against knocks, but given that the button is where your finger automatically wants to rest, your finger defeats it...

HSF

LE
It does have a protective ridge around the front side of it, protecting against knocks, but given that the button is where your finger automatically wants to rest, your finger defeats it...
When we first got them I am sure (old memorys) that with the new harness there were issues with the mag falling off because the release button bumped abainst your chest?Then even tried attaching a small chain to the mag? or am I totaly wrong again?

When we first got them I am sure (old memorys) that with the new harness there were issues with the mag falling off because the release button bumped abainst your chest?Then even tried attaching a small chain to the mag? or am I totaly wrong again?

Were you in the Singaporean army or the Slovenian? And why were you slinging the rifle with its right side over your chest? Seems backwards, and in any case the butt sling swivel is on the bottom, and the front one pivots

4(T)

LE

I think you are referring to the SA80, and not the SAR80 that Stoatman is using?

I do apologise,& thank you for your gentle reminder.But I was right about my shit memory & situational awarenes,as in who am I where am I' every day

I know the feeling all too well.
My, but the clunk of the mag of my LSW hitting the firmament was a frequent reminder of its poor design. Thankfully, Brigade or above decided that on active service, LSW back in the armoury and a gimpy in my mitts made for better security of the fire team (even with improvised mags made of gash pouches).

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

I shot at Bisley today on a 300m lane on Century. Bloody windy but no rain thank god.

There was a platoon of Infantry shooting in a block of lanes to my right at 100m then they dropped back to 300m just as I switched to the SLR. I was on lane 55 and I reckon they were on about lane 80, so a bit of distance between us. NCO heads turned as I discharged 'that rifle' according to my mate who was with me and watching the youngsters with their pop guns.

There is just something about that rifle.

Great day.

I've had this one for a long time... but she's been rather a bit of a safe queen since moving to Switzerland!

1602421586112.png

3F21DD72-2248-4C80-A4EE-DE298C2879A2.jpeg

another nice day at 300m on Century. It may be a side pull but I can live with it.

HE117

LE
Was out yesterday with the Dreyse needle gun that I rebuilt in the Spring for the first time..

I had made up both round ball and the egg shaped Lang Blei bullet cartridges as reported earlier in the thread..

I fired twenty rounds with no misfires, although a couple of the Lang Blei were tumbling.. these were known as "Hummers" (bumble bees) and seem to be caused by the bullet not separating cleanly from the sabot.

Accuracy was really quite good after the first couple of shots, with around a 2" group at 30m...

Was out yesterday with the Dreyse needle gun that I rebuilt in the Spring for the first time..

I had made up both round ball and the egg shaped Lang Blei bullet cartridges as reported earlier in the thread..

I fired twenty rounds with no misfires, although a couple of the Lang Blei were tumbling.. these were known as "Hummers" (bumble bees) and seem to be caused by the bullet not separating cleanly from the sabot.

Accuracy was really quite good after the first couple of shots, with around a 2" group at 30m...

I was thinking about doing a Gedankenexperiment with Chappie about how you'd fight British vs Prussian infantry in that era, with P53 Enfields vs Dreyse needleguns. The P53 massively outranges the Dreyse, but is 3 rpm max. Plus the soldiers were trained to get best use out of it. The Dreyse is massively advantageous in defence, with at least double the rate of fire of the P53, but only out to about 200m.

Initial thoughts are, and assuming little or no arty support on either side:

UK attacks Prussian position:

- Stand outside Dreyse range and soften them up with a number of volleys, then one unit presses the attack as quickly as possible under supporting fire from a flank. Flanking units then press home the attack as a second wave once the main force has got too close to the position to permit supporting fire.
- Prussians can't do much other than take cover and then give rapid fire once the attackers come into range and try to cut them down.

Prussians attack UK position:

- Prussians have to close the distance and get to the bayonet as quickly as possible. They are outranged so can't provide supporting fire unless they can work skirmishers under cover to within 200m or so.
- Brits have to cause Prussian attrition from maximum effective range (picked shots starting on the attacking force from 900 yds or so, or max visibility if less) and then increasing fire cadence as they get closer, hopefully stopping the attack with a few crashing volleys from 300 yds inwards.

Thoughts @HE117 ?

4(T)

LE
Prussians attack UK position:

- Prussians have to close the distance and get to the bayonet as quickly as possible. They are outranged so can't provide supporting fire unless they can work skirmishers under cover to within 200m or so.
- Brits have to cause Prussian attrition from maximum effective range (picked shots starting on the attacking force from 900 yds or so, or max visibility if less) and then increasing fire cadence as they get closer, hopefully stopping the attack with a few crashing volleys from 300 yds inwards.

Thoughts @HE117 ?

Isn't this basically Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg?

Advance troops for about a mile over open ground vs rifled muskets (many of which were indeed P53s)?

Might be interesting to look at significant repeating rifle vs P53 engagements in the US civil war. IIRC Spencer rifles were used in quantity by infantry units at the battles of Chickamauga and Nashville.

Latest Threads