Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

HE117

LE
Looks like an AR18 made by Stevie Wonder from Braille blueprints drawn on a Etch a Sketch.

Enough about the SA80....

Let's talk about the SAR80 I'm buying :p

There are absolutely shed loads of 7.62mm No4/P14 target rifles around, priced at little more than the value of the PH sight.

If you don't need it for actual competitive TR, then any of the first generation rifles will be excellent for general practice and club comps. Most of them easily shoot better than the TR capabilities of yer average club plinker.
Cheers! Is there anyehere you recommend looking?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

They are interesting because the main design concept on it seems to be how can we make a rifle for £1.50.

In both cases, indeed.

They were claiming back in 1983 that the bare L85A1 would cost £200... There's no figures for what they actually cost, but the entire cost of the A1 programme (rifles, accessories, sights, ancilliaries) worked out at, off the top of my head, £1400 per gat. Even taking into account the in-service upgrades, that £200 figure for the bare rifle without sights must have been waaaaaay off...

In both cases, indeed.

They were claiming back in 1983 that the bare L85A1 would cost £200... There's no figures for what they actually cost, but the entire cost of the A1 programme (rifles, accessories, sights, ancilliaries) worked out at, off the top of my head, £1400 per gat. Even taking into account the in-service upgrades, that £200 figure for the bare rifle without sights must have been waaaaaay off...
Yep, not a lot of difference between an SA80 and a SAR , basically the same rifle in different forms, one cost peanuts and the other the cost spiralled totally out of control. Cheap and nasty the SAR looks at least it worked enough not to have required most of the working parts to be replaced and the upper sent back to be re machined.

You can't argue against if the SAR was adopted instead of the SA80 it would have saved millions. Even if it looks like a piece of bed frame finished in roofing paint.

Sterling 1 / Royal Ordinance 0 on this one.

Yep, not a lot of difference between an SA80 and a SAR , basically the same rifle in different forms, one cost peanuts and the other the cost spiralled totally out of control. Cheap and nasty the SAR looks at least it worked enough not to have required most of the working parts to be replaced and the upper sent back to be re machined.

You can't argue against if the SAR was adopted instead of the SA80 it would have saved millions. Even if it looks like a piece of bed frame finished in roofing paint.

Sterling 1 / Royal Ordinance 0 on this one.

The other thing over the entire SA80 service life, the A3 rifles have receivers that have been reworked twice (I've heard allegations of the A3 uppers being new but I can't confirm and I've not seen any photos which indicate they're not the originals, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and show photos :) ). With the pace of ops the British Army has been on in the period, most countries would have replaced their rifles entirely several times over, at least the ones that needed it, rather than re-working the same ones endlessly. For the cost of a rifle through to A3, the number of up to date (at each stage) M16/M4 rifles that could have been bought for the same sum is not insignificant...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
In both cases, indeed.

in 86, £300 was the touted figure.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
My new toy:

1600161730779.png

Henry Survival 22LR AR7, just a lot of fun.

Took it out on the weekend for a test fire, (range booked was 300m, aiming at the crest of the butts I was bouncing off the 100m firing point and ricocheting into the sand which was a bit naughty, but at least I know it goes bang :-D) Trigger pull is heavy but crisp, no issues with feed and the magazines are well built.

Definitely worth £150.

ugly

LE
My new toy:

View attachment 504616

Took it out on the weekend for a test fire, (range booked was 300m, aiming at the crest of the butts I was bouncing off the 100m firing point and ricocheting into the sand which was a bit naughty, but at least I know it goes bang :-D) Trigger pull is heavy but crisp, no issues with feed and the magazines are well built.

Definitely worth £150.
Rumours from the importers that they weren't going to bring any more in!
Scurrilous rumours about barrel length and section 5 were rife three years ago.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Rumours from the importers that they weren't going to bring any more in!
Scurrilous rumours about barrel length and section 5 were rife three years ago.
Interesting....

Just measured my barrel and it's a gnat's-cock over 16" (407.5mm), and IIRC Section 1 minimum barrel length is over 300mm? I suppose it is incredibly easy to fit a shorter barrel (if you have one), but even so, sounds like a VERY scurrilous rumour!
1600165476226.png

Mine is second hand, but new ones are available from dealers in UK (I've been patiently waiting for a cheap one to be advertised for some time). Whether these are remnants from large orders made some time ago I couldn't begin to guess.

Interesting....

Just measured my barrel and it's a gnat's-cock over 16" (407.5mm), and IIRC Section 1 minimum barrel length is over 300mm? I suppose it is incredibly easy to fit a shorter barrel (if you have one), but even so, sounds like a VERY scurrilous rumour!
View attachment 504627
Mine is second hand, but new ones are available from dealers in UK (I've been patiently waiting for a cheap one to be advertised for some time). Whether these are remnants from large orders made some time ago I couldn't begin to guess.
It's a shade over 16" to comply with US law.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

My new toy:

View attachment 504616

Definitely worth £150.

James Bond walt!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
007 ? Narrrr more Mat Helm
Do I know you? It's true, I tend to lead my life more like Dean Martin than Sean Connery (ie: semi pissed, coasting through on charm and humour).

Do I know you? It's true, I tend to lead my life more like Dean Martin than Sean Connery (ie: semi pissed, coasting through on charm and humour).
There's only a few on here "I know" BB is one, ugly, and two others one I talk tof now and again , after all anyone could be anyone on the net,

Latest Threads