Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

HE117

LE
Found a 2m by 2m redundant diversion sign blown into a field laminated aluminium and plastic chopped it up for targets shows de oles well
Joking aside, you need to be very careful using soft metal plate targets. Clipping the edge can send bullets off in odd directions with considerable velocity.. The danger area behind an ETR is witness to this. They can also strip and sling jackets back at you from considerable distances..

In particular solid brass and bronze bullets have a potential to create very long range ricochets because of their lack of plasticity..

Joking aside, you need to be very careful using soft metal plate targets.
Many years ago in Brüggen we used gash bits of aluminium for pistol falling plates. Great idea, too bad that the rds went straight through without moving the plates.

Before anyone asks, we use aluminium because we had plenty of it, courtesy of the battle damage repair people, but gash steel was nowhere to be found.

Last edited:

HE117

LE
Many years ago in Brüggen we used gash bits of aluminium for pistol falling plates. Great idea, too bad that the rds went straight through without moving the plates.

Before anyone asks, we use aluminium because we had plenty of it, courtesy of the battle damage repair people, but gash steel was nowhere to be found.
Was Bruggen the range with a 30m at right angles to an old gallery range and a clay range at the side of it... went to one of the clutch for a shoot once when I was in the big house, but can't remember which one...

Was Bruggen the range with a 30m at right angles to an old gallery range and a clay range at the side of it... went to one of the clutch for a shoot once when I was in the big house, but can't remember which one...
Correct, the shoot in question was on the old gallery range.
Actually the new range was 25 mtr.

I have a large hill loads of timber and the remains of a dry stone wall behind the target. I did have something come back when i shot some steel plate but i think it came off a stone behind it. Im prone shooting across and down into a valley.
It sounded like a low flying angry griffon engined typhoon going overhead at some height and speed its always a concern. Very rocky ground especially now its dry.

I’ve just acquired an LMT 308 sharpshooter Rifle, though am still getting to grips with it ...

Attachments

• 0EEC3655-5953-4919-9B0C-67C32E6594CB.jpeg
    0EEC3655-5953-4919-9B0C-67C32E6594CB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • 7D075758-969F-48DA-981E-7547DE7AAE54.jpeg
    7D075758-969F-48DA-981E-7547DE7AAE54.jpeg
    857.3 KB · Views: 88
So one for the arrse hive minds, I'm looking at getting a 5.56/.223 and a 7.62/308 target rifle. What do people recommend? I'm not particularly good shot or anything but just to practice with out breaking the bank with my 303s.

I was thinking of something Enfield like for the 308 but I can't afford an actual L42 or Enforcer.

For the 223 is wanting something that takes a stanag mag but isn't an AR15. Sadly an L98 is unlikely!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

HE117

LE
So one for the arrse hive minds, I'm looking at getting a 5.56/.223 and a 7.62/308 target rifle. What do people recommend? I'm not particularly good shot or anything but just to practice with out breaking the bank with my 303s.

I was thinking of something Enfield like for the 308 but I can't afford an actual L42 or Enforcer.

For the 223 is wanting something that takes a stanag mag but isn't an AR15. Sadly an L98 is unlikely!

You need to narrow down a bit and decide on a budget..

Are you after a military type rifle or a "proper" target rifle.. the latter will cost you money!

Are you really stuck on those calibres? Lots of cheapish .303 and 7.5x55 Swiss around and very good value.

Not many nice/cheap 5.56 about as most of these are semis and illegal. You can get modern stalking type rifles in this calibre but not that cheap...

If you're serious about TR, don't waste your money on any of the stuff built on military-type actions. You'll regret it.

Musgrave, Swing/Paramount/RPA or similar, or GTFO...

You need to narrow down a bit and decide on a budget..

Are you after a military type rifle or a "proper" target rifle.. the latter will cost you money!

Are you really stuck on those calibres? Lots of cheapish .303 and 7.5x55 Swiss around and very good value.

Not many nice/cheap 5.56 about as most of these are semis and illegal. You can get modern stalking type rifles in this calibre but not that cheap...

Honestly F class stuff looks a little intense it would be be more practical level of shooting. My club is more fun stuff with lots of historical stuff.

Sadly yes (ISH) as that's the empty slots on my FAC. I already have a mkIII* SMLE and No4 so .303 is already covered. It's more to do with cheaper rounds so I can practice more without breaking the bank. Getting lots of .303 is a pain in the butt.

If you're serious about TR, don't waste your money on any of the stuff built on military-type actions. You'll regret it.

Musgrave, Swing/Paramount/RPA or similar, or GTFO...
Yeah sorry Stoaty I said Target shooting to differentiate from hunting. I'm looking more for stuff that is "historical"or military style but cheaper to run.

ugly

LE
Savage do 223 target rigs that come with 20 round mags

Is that a real rifle magazine bottom right?

Nice to see the rig up and running at last!

It is. My eyesight is shite now sadly - I got two bloke on the firing point two along from me today. I was convinced they were the target :)

Ruger is a pleasure to shoot. 600m was full of coppers today or I'd have switched to a longer lane. Only me and a mate + the two blokes I shot shooting at 300m

4(T)

LE
Honestly F class stuff looks a little intense it would be be more practical level of shooting. My club is more fun stuff with lots of historical stuff.

Sadly yes (ISH) as that's the empty slots on my FAC. I already have a mkIII* SMLE and No4 so .303 is already covered. It's more to do with cheaper rounds so I can practice more without breaking the bank. Getting lots of .303 is a pain in the butt.

There are absolutely shed loads of 7.62mm No4/P14 target rifles around, priced at little more than the value of the PH sight.

If you don't need it for actual competitive TR, then any of the first generation rifles will be excellent for general practice and club comps. Most of them easily shoot better than the TR capabilities of yer average club plinker.

Latest Threads