Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

Fill yer boots. Can decide if it will be rammed or completely empty as your average shooter is 465 years old..

Dear NRA Member
CURRENT CHANGES TO RANGE BOOKINGS

We will be open weekends only from Saturday 23rd May.

If you are wishing to make a booking please follow the guidance set out below and note the restrictions in place.

As per the previous announcements bookings will not be processed until Tuesday 19th May.

MAKING A BOOKING

Bookings are currently 1 per person, per hour, electronic targets at weekends only

When selecting ‘Range’ type in the top right corner ‘Session’ which will provide you with two range options (Century or Stickledown). All other ranges are currently void and will not let you select a booking date up until 1/7/2020.

Ensure you select the distance you would like.

Stickledown 900x (lanes 21-26) or 1000x (lanes 46-50)
Century 100x (lanes 103 – 108), 300x (lanes 73-78) or 600x (lanes 37 – 48)

Please let us know in the comments if you would be happy with any other alternative if first choice is not available.

Please note in the comments the hour you wish to shoot for.

Hour sessions are between 0830 – 1230 and 1330 - 1730
Please be aware if your selected hour is not available your booking may still be approved for a different hour (this will be noted in your booking confirmation email)

Note:

A separate bid must be submitted if more than one hour is wanted

A club making a booking must state the individuals name in the comments

That’s was the butts on short Siberia on Sunday afternoon

B2F21602-F4E2-4EB5-B446-C50B235F6A03.jpeg

6 of us shot. The way we did it was each of us had 20 minutes And you could fire as much as you wanted, then rotate. Two rotations and that was the afternoon done. It worked OK.

I'm told Saturday was ‘quite’ busy. Sunday was like the Marie Celeste.

first outing for the SLR

8298276C-5F48-4306-B859-D59891694831.jpeg

nice grouping according to the lad on the Butt, but Jesus - the cycling. Working parts really stiff and cocking it for every round when you have two full mags......... not a barrel of laughs. As for the shoulder

Last edited:

HE117

LE
That’s was the butts on short Siberia on Sunday afternoon

View attachment 487500
6 of us shot. The way we did it was each of us had 20 minutes And you could fire as much as you wanted, then rotate. Two rotations and that was the afternoon done. It worked OK.

I'm told Saturday was ‘quite’ busy. Sunday was like the Marie Celeste.

first outing for the SLR

View attachment 487501
nice grouping according to the lad on the Butt, but Jesus - the cycling. Working parts really stiff and cocking it for every round when you have two full mags......... not a barrel of laughs. As for the shoulder
... which is why I have resisted buying any of these "gasless wonders".. Without any primary extraction it is hard work cycling them, and using one just makes me annoyed that such a good bit of kit has been butchered for no good reason/ political expediency...

Like buying a racehorse with a leg cut off.. !

... which is why I have resisted buying any of these "gasless wonders".. Without any primary extraction it is hard work cycling them, and using one just makes me annoyed that such a good bit of kit has been butchered for no good reason/ political expediency...

Yup. Rifles lacking primary extraction aren't a great choice.

Sometimes it can be overcome with good quality brass though, but that means either extra cost for modern factory, or handloading.

Another handloading option is slightly reduced loads so they don't obturate as well.

cant disagree with that where the first set of brass I put down it was concerned. It was great to shoot it though and I must say, I was sat wishing I was in the US after shooting it

Sometimes it can be overcome with good quality brass though, but that means either extra cost for modern factory, or handloading.

Another handloading option is slightly reduced loads so they don't obturate as well.
I put two different types of round down it and the brass made a huge difference to the cycling. I was shooting factory

This is why my SLR is built as a dedicated .22, I had tried the straight pull and found it awkward.
Going the sub caliber route was a good compromise for me, it cycles well on higher velocity ammunition and is great for bunny bashing.
I have my Enfields for when I need a bit of recoil and longer ranges.

This is why my SLR is built as a dedicated .22, I had tried the straight pull and found it awkward.
Going the sub caliber route was a good compromise for me, it cycles well on higher velocity ammunition and is great for bunny bashing.
I have my Enfields for when I need a bit of recoil and longer ranges.
straight pull is a pain, but I have to say, there is nothing like shoving a 7.62mm round down an SLR - straight pull or not. It feels really nice and it was deffo worth the beer tokens.

One of the lads shooting with us yesterday is a member of that small club of civilians in the UK owning a 50 cal Barrett - he was telling me there are only about 50 owners in the UK. They've won the court case - he's not shot it for 2 years and hoping to be back on the Javelin range this season. I'm just trying to work out how to sneak one of those past the mrs.......

HE117

LE
straight pull is a pain, but I have to say, there is nothing like shoving a 7.62mm round down an SLR - straight pull or not. It feels really nice and it was deffo worth the beer tokens.

One of the lads shooting with us yesterday is a member of that small club of civilians in the UK owning a 50 cal Barrett - he was telling me there are only about 50 owners in the UK. They've won the court case - he's not shot it for 2 years and hoping to be back on the Javelin range this season. I'm just trying to work out how to sneak one of those past the mrs.......
I would not wish to denigrate your enjoyment for one moment, and if you get pleasure from your SLR, then you are very welcome, but please go into these transactions with your eyes open and try to resist buying Unicorns!

My own view is tempered by many instances of witnessing where folk have bought these rifles, and then have been bitterly disappointed with their performance after investing much emotion and gold. All I am saying is to anyone looking at these rifles in anticipation of regaining their lost youth (or living out some electronic fantasy..) is that they should always have a go at one before going down this path so that they part with their emotions and money with a clear appreciation of what they are getting...!

I would also wish to gently point out to those looking to buy .22RF "Lookey Likey" rifles is that these are also pale imitations of what they set out to be. The .22RF round has a fraction of the energy produced by a full bore round and unless the action of the rifle is finely made and well maintained, its reliability is nowhere like its namesake. Quality in this market is regrettably is not the norm, and there is a lot of (overpriced?) cr@p out there, cheaply made of pot metal that are little more than toys..!

I just have other emotions when handling these firearms, knowing what they were originally like, how they now are, and for what!

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Does the straight pull version still make that "kerching" noise every time a round is fired?

Does the straight pull version still make that "kerching" noise every time a round is fired?
Nope. And the recoil impulse is quite different cos the working parts don't go anywhere.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope. And the recoil impulse is quite different cos the working parts don't go anywhere.
Ta. No fun then, just another piece of plastic - unless it's made with wooden furniture.

I would not wish to denigrate your enjoyment for one moment, and if you get pleasure from your SLR, then you are very welcome, but please go into these transactions with your eyes open and try to resist buying Unicorns!

My own view is tempered by many instances of witnessing where folk have bought these rifles, and then have been bitterly disappointed with their performance after investing much emotion and gold. All I am saying is to anyone looking at these rifles in anticipation of regaining their lost youth (or living out some electronic fantasy..) is that they should always have a go at one before going down this path so that they part with their emotions and money with a clear appreciation of what they are getting...!

I would also wish to gently point out to those looking to buy .22RF "Lookey Likey" rifles is that these are also pale imitations of what they set out to be. The .22RF round has a fraction of the energy produced by a full bore round and unless the action of the rifle is finely made and well maintained, its reliability is nowhere like its namesake. Quality in this market is regrettably is not the norm, and there is a lot of (overpriced?) cr@p out there, cheaply made of pot metal that are little more than toys..!

I just have other emotions when handling these firearms, knowing what they were originally like, how they now are, and for what!
Agreed 100pc never ever shot one in anger, but shot both both and owned a few deactivated old specs, even air soft models, and at all times I say to the young ones, "what's not on these that's on a play station "
A restart button

Totally agree. I went into my purchase with open eyes and knew what I was taking on, which is basically something thats more of a pain than a bolt action rifle. As I said, cycling was a pain with the first type of ammo I put through it. Much better with the second. I reckon the key to the cycling is the right brass.

As for shooting it? Where that was concerned, it was an absolute pleasure for two reasons:
  • The memories. it was a big part of the purchase for me
  • The effect. The lad on the butts said my grouping was excellent. Not so sure about @CptDanjou's zeroing skills however!!!!! He zero'd it before sending it out to me. Note to self - take tools to zero SLR next time you go out with it :)
I am glad I bought it and it will always accompany me when I go to the ranges. There was nothing like looking down that barrel and through those sights. Nothing can or will ever compare to it. as for pulling the trigger and the 'fcuk that hurt' factor. Shoulder is knacking today!!!!

Ta. No fun then, just another piece of plastic - unless it's made with wooden furniture.
Wooden furniture is on the shopping list when I have saved some pennies and I know the job is secure (Covid19 unemployment risk)

ugly

LE
Gloworms Imbel is afactory built .22rf trainer. Imagine the smallbore conversion kit built in from scratch and that's what he has.

Mufulira

War Hero
Gloworms Imbel is afactory built .22rf trainer. Imagine the smallbore conversion kit built in from scratch and that's what he has.
When employed in Brazil at a gold property, we had to design and licence our powder and det magazines and it was the Army who issued these documents. Early one morn we trundled off to the Para Amazonian Brigade HQ and sought out Sgt Maldonaldo who was handling our paperwork. The HQ was a very spiffy place and featured highly polished parquet flooring shined to perfection and cool dark corridors. After 0900hrs it came alive with scores of jungly cammo'd warriors with almost squeaky-silent, jungle tackie boots. A few armed riflemen were lolloping about with the then converted 7.62 SLR now in 5.56 as could be observed by muzzle. Though no-one offered me a chance to close-up examine their Rifle it certainly seemed to a fairly weighty proposition, that said, the recoil must have been minimal. A most entertaining day was had by all and paperwork duly completed followed by the customary 2.5hr lunch and discovering how friendly the Brazilians could be.

Ah, that was the FN FAL, this one is an L1A1 with a dedicated Walther Lothar barrel, the bolt is copied from the L12A1 H&K kit. I have two of the mags from the kit and one that was made with the rifle

Edited to add piccy
The FAL is an Imbel trainer factory built in .22
The SLR is a purpose built conversion
F921002B-7790-4518-AB52-126DFA293236.jpeg

Last edited: