Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

4(T)

LE
At Desert Brutality and 2GAC matches they do it the mil way (although people are allowed to use flags if they prefer). Having at least been a poxy cadet and UOTC peon I had at least done it that way 2+ decades ago and it was easy to get back into that mindset, once the initial "huh" had passed. It's a discussion point in an upcoming vid I filmed with Karl, cos it's something that surprises some people.

The historic crowd cause even more trouble:

"Uh, my rifle magazine is not detachable"

"uh, my rifle doesn't actually have a safety catch"

"Uh, I probably won't be able to unload without firing off the rifle. You see the cases are very tight, and..."

"Uh, I need my tools and a workbench to get the bolt out"

The historic crowd cause even more trouble:

"Uh, my rifle magazine is not detachable"

"uh, my rifle doesn't actually have a safety catch"

"Uh, I probably won't be able to unload without firing off the rifle. You see the cases are very tight, and..."

"Uh, I need my tools and a workbench to get the bolt out"
Over here we tend to reduce it for historic stuff to "breech open, magazine detached if possible, safety applied if possible", cos the rules are based around Swiss straight-pull rifles for which all those are possible with the bolt open.

I love comments like this. They're an interesting kind of nitpicking virtue-signalling. Nothing is unsafe whatsoever, and yet cos I didn't do it exactly according to the pams, it's the end of the world.

"A round falls out when the magazine is fitted, not good. " Faulty mag. Right lip isn't quite long enough. It sometimes loses the second to last round as a result too. But I'm sure that's my fault and bad handling or something... :roll:

"Making ready by using the holding open device, certainly not in any pamphlet." Our range rules require the bolt to be locked back when not on the firing point, aside from with a Stgw 57 which a) doesn't have a hold-open, and b) has a loaded chamber indicator. So we make ready by simply dropping the bolt. Why would you expect us to do anything else than just press the bolt release? Should I be letting the bolt forward, applying the mag and then cocking it just because in the British doctrine the bolt would be forward? When according to our range rules it has to be back?

"And last but not least, unloading with the mag fitted. " Oh dear, it's the end of the world. I hooked the bolt before removing a mag I knew to be empty on one occasion... Such terrible gun handling :rolleyes:

"I am curious about why the working parts were locked to the rear, not let forward and the action fired off. Is that a SOP for civilian ranges?" Yes. Swiss range rules require the bolt to be locked back.
Believe me, I have seen some poor weapon handling in the military. Personally, I would not mess about with the holding open device, I would make ready by pulling the cocking handle to the rear as per the old stoppage drills. Just an opinion.
Anyway, let's not get into handbags at dawn, life is just too short.

150 - 500 yards iron sights show the foolish child this
a pleasure!!

he doesn’t listen to me as you may have gathered and like all teenagers, he knows everything and I know nowt.

I did like the idea someone had of sending him out 200m and seeing how I get on with a single shot

Bisley shut as of this morning. I’m surprised they stayed open for so long. Civilian, Police and Military also affected.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Bisley shut as of this morning. I’m surprised they stayed open for so long. Civilian, Police and Military also affected.
Actually they started cancelling earlier because my shooting had already been cancelled by them. Needless to say I had to phone them to find out and I think they have finally realised they were getting too many phone calls because the only News was tucked away on their website, hence the email to members.

4(T)

LE

I wonder if we RFDs will get refunds for the Phoenix arms fair bookings?

Well, the good news is that NRA staff can now focus on servicing the target frames, replacing the targetry, filling some of the potholes, repairing the firing points, building some more overhead cover and benches, open up some more zero range capacity, and..

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
There was something in this morning's message about payments being carried forward or refunded.

HE117

LE

Well, the good news is that NRA staff can now focus on servicing the target frames, replacing the targetry, filling some of the potholes, repairing the firing points, building some more overhead cover and benches, open up some more zero range capacity, and..
and..

.. most of the staff have been sent on Furlough!

HE117

LE
Ok, my enforced gating has not been all bad..

Dreyse is slowly sinking into its block of wood.. I have got to the point where I am thinking that if I heat the gun up to red heat, it will sink into the wood of its own accord....
IMG_1550small.jpg

...also the Lang Blei Bird flew past and laid a few eggs.. (..and a needle!)

IMG_1551small.jpg

HE117

LE
Ok, my enforced gating has not been all bad..

Dreyse is slowly sinking into its block of wood.. I have got to the point where I am thinking that if I heat the gun up to red heat, it will sink into the wood of its own accord....
View attachment 460059

...also the Lang Blei Bird flew past and laid a few eggs.. (..and a needle!)

View attachment 460060
What is interesting is that most of the dimensions seem to be in imperial! The thread on the end of the needle is 1BA (or as close as makes no difference) and the main screws all seems to be nominal inch fractions!

Certainly not metric, although perhaps as the Needle gun was used in the Franco Prussian war, this may not be surprising!

What is interesting is that most of the dimensions seem to be in imperial! The thread on the end of the needle is 1BA (or as close as makes no difference) and the main screws all seems to be nominal inch fractions!

Certainly not metric, although perhaps as the Needle gun was used in the Franco Prussian war, this may not be surprising!
Russians were the same before the revolution, the small dimensions were called lines with 10 lines to the inch, hence the mosin nagant was known as the 3 line rifle I.e. 0.3" or 7.62mm.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

HE117

LE
You know how to inlet actions with a smoke lamp ?
Yes I do.. although I am using Micrometer blue at the moment as it is easier to use and does not fill my workshop with smuts, but I might switch to smoke for the final fittings as it is more precise, although it is not quite so critical with a wood to metal fit!

Blue is also easier to see against wood than black, particularly as I am using black walnut! A smoke lamp is better when you are working on the smoked surface as the bright spots are easier to see. Spotting the black streaks of transfer colour is harder with smoke..

Last edited:

4(T)

LE
Yes I do.. although I am using Micrometer blue at the moment as it is easier to use and does not fill my workshop with smuts, but I might switch to smoke for the final fittings as it is more precise, although it is not quite so critical with a wood to metal fit!

Blue is also easier to see against wood than black, particularly as I am using black walnut! A smoke lamp is better when you are working on the smoked surface as the bright spots are easier to see. Spotting the black streaks of transfer colour is harder with smoke..

I use Johnson's Baby Powder.....

Sprinkle on wood, blow off. Wipe metal work with oily rag and then assemble.

You get witness marks both on the wood and on the metal, where the powder has stuck. Nice contrasting mark both sides. I use it all the time for forend fitting, as its quite easy to pick up even tiny "touching points" with talc.

HE117

LE
I use Johnson's Baby Powder.....

Sprinkle on wood, blow off. Wipe metal work with oily rag and then assemble.

You get witness marks both on the wood and on the metal, where the powder has stuck. Nice contrasting mark both sides. I use it all the time for forend fitting, as its quite easy to pick up even tiny "touching points" with talc.
Thanks, I might just try that!

Latest Threads