Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

I was under the impression that depending on the Kanton concerned it was possible to shoot a full auto under the same conditions as a full auto.
Shooting with a full auto weapon is prohibited at federal level, but the cantons can authorise exceptions. There is no canton with a general exception, a permit is required for each event.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Anthony Buckland, his prices were "interesting" as an RFD, that was of course before he got sent down for being a bit naughty.
He sold me an Enforcer for £120 but that was a fair time ago (forty years actually).

So the mrs’ lad who at 20 and being an online gamer knows everything there is to know about weapons and their stopping power informs me an SLR wouldn’t take someone out at 200m with a single shot. Now I’ve tried to explain but as usual given up as he knows more than everyone about any subject you’d care to raise.

anyone care to proffer an ‘independent view’ on how much damage you‘d do to someone unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of a single 7.62mm round from an SLR?

Lets stick to a body shot to the chest. Views chaps for our 20 year old expert welcome.....

When in the RAMC TA, I was at Cambridge military hospital, an officer who had just a " glancing" hit on his jaw right side, his whole jaw was busted it was in a right mess and had been wired up to heal, his aftercare was a set of wire cutters, and mouthwash,

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
So the mrs’ lad who at 20 and being an online gamer knows everything there is to know about weapons and their stopping power informs me an SLR wouldn’t take someone out at 200m with a single shot. Now I’ve tried to explain but as usual given up as he knows more than everyone about any subject you’d care to raise.

anyone care to proffer an ‘independent view’ on how much damage you‘d do to someone unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end of a single 7.62mm round from an SLR?

Lets stick to a body shot to the chest. Views chaps for our 20 year old expert welcome.....
Field dressing for the entry wound and a shell dressing for the exit wound.

When in the RAMC TA, I was at Cambridge military hospital, an officer who had just a " glancing" hit on his jaw right side, his whole jaw was busted it was in a right mess and had been wired up to heal, his aftercare was a set of wire cutters, and mouthwash,
In a similar vein I once knew an ex-Rock who tried to stop a 7.62 rd with his foot. Ended up losing the leg below the knee.

Shooting with a full auto weapon is prohibited at federal level, but the cantons can authorise exceptions. There is no canton with a general exception, a permit is required for each event.
Interesting post, I'm a regular reader of SWM and although the subject of full auto weapons crops up occasionally they never mentioned the problems associated with trying to fire them. I thought that the Germans were burocratic, the Federal Supreme Court of Administration banned the firing of full auto a few years ago on the grounds that they are collectors items and firing them could cause irrepairable damage thereby reducing their value.
Hence the existence of semi-auto belt fed guns here as shown in my posts a short while back.

Mick9abf

War Hero

Just tell the eternal bore that there’s plenty of red deer which tend to have ‘fuller’ chests than humans shot and killed with one 7.62/.308 at distances exceeding 200m every year.

It doesn’t really matter what delivers it although some Arrse inhabitants believe ‘that’ rifle improves the calibre’s ballistics to intergalactic proportions....... personally I think the 30-06 makes a far better job of flattening deer but ultimately, when you hit them in the right place, it’s neither here nor there.

There is an extremely detailed/enlightening/horrifying description of what a 7.62/.308 round will do to the human body in Hugh McManners book, "The Scars of War".

A 7.62x51/308W will easily kill at well over 1000yds.....if you can hit your target.
7.62/308/30_06/300Win Mag can all use the same size bullet heads , the speed that bullet head leaves the barrel is what counts , 300 Win Mag wins every time.

Just tell the eternal bore that there’s plenty of red deer which tend to have ‘fuller’ chests than humans shot and killed with one 7.62/.308 at distances exceeding 200m every year.

It doesn’t really matter what delivers it although some Arrse inhabitants believe ‘that’ rifle improves the calibre’s ballistics to intergalactic proportions....... personally I think the 30-06 makes a far better job of flattening deer but ultimately, when you hit them in the right place, it’s neither here nor there.
he doesn’t actually believe you could even hit a target at 200m with an SLR, and that if you did by chance, you would take the target out with a single shot.

as I say, he’s an expert because of his X Box gaming.......

Mick9abf

War Hero
he doesn’t actually believe you could even hit a target at 200m with an SLR, and that if you did by chance, you would take the target out with a single shot.

Perhaps a practical lesson could help...... “just walk 200m that way and stop with that hill behind you” :grin:

When he drags himself out of bed at lunchtime, show him these. It's a factory refurb L1A1 with a new barrel and new furniture, shot at 300m.

Off the bag, target rings are 10cm, 20cm, 30cm etc...

Then prone freehand, take 1. the 4 ring is 20cm wide, and the figure is about 45cm wide:

Take 2: same again

He probably also believes cars and 45 gallon drums will stop small arms fire , Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

Did any of you use those massive scopes on one ? How good where they

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps a practical lesson could help...... “just walk 200m that way and stop with that hill behind you” :grin:
Only a hill?

HE117

LE
Did any of you use those massive scopes on one ? How good where they
Plaster old chap... can you give some more details when you ask these random questions?

Do you mean the SLR, and what "massive scopes" are you talking about?

I am only aware of a couple of optical sights for the SLR. One was the SUIT (sight unit infantry trilux) which looked like half a binocular. The other one was the "Starlight Scope" Individual Weapon Sight (IWS) which was a first generation image intensifier. It did have some magnification and could be used in daylight with a pinhole mask, but was primarily a night vision aid.

They were both pretty good for their day, and were better than anything else around. Always remember that an optical scope does not affect the accuracy of a rifle, it simply helps you find your target! A plain optical sight helps you gather more light and on average gives you an extra half hour at dawn and dusk. It also makes sighting easier by bringing the target and sight into focus at the same time.. something that "more mature" folk like us find difficult at times! The IWS was bulky and although not as heavy as it looked was not easy to hold. They were mostly used for surveillance rather than engagement.

The main weakness of the strap on sights for the SLR, was that they were usually fixed to the top cover, which was not the most rigid and precision built bit of the rifle. That said, the sights seemed to have been good enough to meet most requirements..

4(T)

LE

I have to say that the FAL/L1A1 is portrayed as a weak gun in most PC games (Far Cry, Div 2, CoD, etc). I think its because the developers just use "old guns" as content fillers, and use sexy "tacticool" guns as "high end".

Latest Threads