Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
DD75E572-7B09-4041-A247-26301187AF35.jpeg

My new baby.

Sauer 404 Synchro XT in .308
Minox ZX5i 3-15x56 scope
Barton Engineering moderator
ETA: a very nice Harris LM 9-13’’ swivel bipod will be fitted once the stud arrives

Very very pleased with the purchase. The rifle just feels ‘’right’’ and I was able to achieve very good groups from the off. Going to get some more trigger time at Corinium to ensure me and the rifle are fully fitted and competent then I’m very much looking forward to getting back out in the field.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
View attachment 352819

My new baby.

Sauer 404 Synchro XT in .308
Minox ZX5i 3-15x56 scope
Barton Engineering moderator
ETA: a very nice Harris LM 9-13’’ swivel bipod will be fitted once the stud arrives

Very very pleased with the purchase. The rifle just feels ‘’right’’ and I was able to achieve very good groups from the off. Going to get some more trigger time at Corinium to ensure me and the rifle are fully fitted and competent then I’m very much looking forward to getting back out in the field.
Glad you're chuffed with it and that uou group well with the rifle.
Must admit that my first thought on seeing the pic was, "Shit but that's ugly !"
That said, I own a CAM and a Steyr Scout so I'm probably not one to talk when it comes to rifle aesthetics.

Will someone show me the difference in size tween 7-62 and 30-06 please

ugly

LE
Ok 30-06 is a 63mm case and .308 is a 51mm case. Oddly enough the 7.62 x 51 wasn't a shortened 30-06 but a conversion of the .300 Savage case.
270px-9.3X62-30-06-8X57-6.5X55-308.jpg

From left to right 9.3×62mm, .30-06 Springfield, 7.92×57mm Mauser, 6.5×55mm and .308 Winchester

Pinched from Wiki as I'm about to eat breakfast

You will note that the 9.3 is shorter than the .30-06. In fact the US .30 calibre cartridge was introduced in 1903 but was a slo powder and round nose bullet. 3 years later they adopted the pointy bullet.

ugly

LE
@ugly should have an answer to this straight off one of the shelves in his man cave, I would think.
I cheated today, I do have loaded examples of both including factory adopted versions of .30-06 wildcats such as .25-06 which should have been the cartridge they used but they wouldn't accept a .276 bullet in the 63mm case so a .25 was never going to be seriously considered.
Trials with ordinary .276 ball proved it would penetrate the armour on the issue M2 scout car whereas the .30-06 ball struggled.

For the size of the gun (browning 30 ) I was expecting something similar to near 50 cal round thanks ugly

ugly

LE
For the size of the gun (browning 30 ) I was expecting something similar to near 50 cal round thanks ugly
Do you want some for your Browning?
If you think about it the .30 M1917 was designed to use the .30-06 Rifle cartridge before the M2 Browning M1919 was thought of. The .5 is a scaled up version of the .30-06. Not for reasons of simplifying production of ammo but because scaling up an already working feed mechanism is easier than trying to reinvent the wheel. The .30-06 is massively overpowered and the range template for the original ammo was almost unachievable for machine guns hence the introduction of the M2 round with its reduced template. The M1917 has been converted reasonably successfully to 7.62 x 51 Nato as the feed mechanism is easily adapted and the guns gave years of service. When you look at cartridges there is really very little new in concept thats been successful since 1914.

I have some (10 rounds) but they looked small for the size of the weapon. . Before I made a fool of myself I just needed proof I had the right thing. Getting a belt from SOF then all I will need is knowing how to load the belt (it covers the plugs)

ugly

LE
They may look small but they are bloody noisy especially when fired indoors

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not for reasons of simplifying production of ammo but because scaling up an already working feed mechanism is easier than trying to reinvent the wheel.
On the other hand, when scaling down one encounters a kakhuisvol of problems according to Bill Ruger.

Glad you're chuffed with it and that uou group well with the rifle.
Must admit that my first thought on seeing the pic was, "Shit but that's ugly !"
That said, I own a CAM and a Steyr Scout so I'm probably not one to talk when it comes to rifle aesthetics.
Beauty, as the Scaley Alberto Munters thread appears to confirm, is very much in the eye of the beholder :p

Latest Threads