Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

Having been a new member of a gun club for six months, I'm now looking to pursue my FAC.

Trouble is, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop and can't decide what to buy, as every week I turn up and shoot yet another club owned rifle, and think that's the one for me.

I know I can have more than one firearm on my ticket, but is there a danger of taking the piss on a first application?

My priority is a no.4 or SMLE (or both?), but I've had some fun with a Ruger Precision, and there's an under lever in .45, which is sweet as a nut, plus a few .22's etc, etc, etc.

Maybe I should keep test firing and get a better idea.

I know the feeling, when I first got my license, I bought every 'good deal' I saw. Sold most of it again now though.

Get your Enfield when you find the one you want, it's worth waiting to find a decent example.

ugly

LE
Having been a new member of a gun club for six months, I'm now looking to pursue my FAC.

Trouble is, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop and can't decide what to buy, as every week I turn up and shoot yet another club owned rifle, and think that's the one for me.

I know I can have more than one firearm on my ticket, but is there a danger of taking the piss on a first application?

My priority is a no.4 or SMLE (or both?), but I've had some fun with a Ruger Precision, and there's an under lever in .45, which is sweet as a nut, plus a few .22's etc, etc, etc.

Maybe I should keep test firing and get a better idea.
Simply look at what competitions the club caters for and apply for a firearm in each calibre. I would think about a 38/357 funderlever rather than a 45 long colt, its a lot cheaper to feed in 38 special. Apply for a .22 rifle, a .303 and a 308 and there you have the basis for building up a good set of firearms in your first 5 years.

ugly

LE
It may also help if the club has a shop where club guns come and go, this way you can usually sell beginner rifles a year or two later to move onto newer rifles!
Some RFDs will take back rifles for close on what you payed if you are buying its replacement from them. Also consider other calibres such as 8mm mauser, lots of good used rifles about and lots of quality ammo from PPU.

I remember that feeling when your first FAC drops through the letter box, I don't even think mine had the chance to hit the floor.

I love .45 Colt, especially with black powder, but Ugly is bang on with his 38/357 choice for the under-lever.

38/357 is a great choice, especially if you get into shooting what passes for a revolver in the UK these days.
Cheap bullets, frugal on propellant & the brass lasts forever (I shoot it a lot in the US & some cases must be on their 20th or more load by now).

I like a pistol grip stock, so sod the traditional looks, I'd go for one of these.

I wonder if I can get it OK'd for foxes...

Some new parts to try this weekend. The Cheek weld on most of my ARs is pretty crap, hoping this is a winner.

.303 meets steel plate (lifted from facebook)

In 1966 I attend a rifle match against 26 Medium Rgt (RA) at Shoeburry Ness. Part of the competition was falling plates. We had never done that before, so our hosts went first although I don't recall what they were firing. We had M-1 Garands and I don't know how that happened because they were no longer standard AF issue.

at the command commence firing, we did. And every now and again a plate would fall over. WTF? Cease fire. We went forward and found a number of the plates still standing had nice, shiny, .30 holes through them.

The ammo had been scrounged from somewhere. It was belted and mostly black tipped AP ball.