Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

It looks like it.

You need to go for a stroll through Craigslist sometime. Elcans, ACOG's and NVG pop up from time to time ......................... usually around and about the large military installations, funnily.

The sunday market up by Oceanside (Pendleton) sometimes has stalls selling ex-USMC tat, sa some nice half-price used Pelican cases last time I was there.
Speaking of Marines and ACOGS, that is what I have on my varmint rifle. With Killflash!

ACOG.jpg

ugly

LE
The can looks a bit small, just how much sound moderation does it give you?
If that's for me its spot on its a B&T after all and I pay trade rate for it

If that's for me its spot on its a B&T after all and I pay trade rate for it
Absolutely , all a moderator needs to do is to reduce sound enough for the shooter not to have to wear ear defenders as the supersonic crack/boom will always be there , unless of course you are loading sub sonics which is a completely different ball game.

ugly

LE
Absolutely , all a moderator needs to do is to reduce sound enough for the shooter not to have to wear ear defenders as the supersonic crack/boom will always be there , unless of course you are loading sub sonics which is a completely different ball game.
Provided you shoot it outdoors its an effective mod. The last time I was in Scotland it impressed the Ghillie, not an easy man to please.
I did let one go from inside a vehicle muzzle included, it was interesting!

Provided you shoot it outdoors its an effective mod. The last time I was in Scotland it impressed the Ghillie, not an easy man to please.
I did let one go from inside a vehicle muzzle included, it was interesting!
I was using the little Surefire suppressors on an AR, the tiny little suppressor, out in the open, no ear defenders. Then I stepped under the wriggly tin roofed off area of the range to get some more mags, decided to fire from the bench and after one round wished I had not got up that morning - great in the open, any hard surface nearby and not so much. You get the same effect when moving down corridors, or in buildings, and need to wear ear def's - full stop.

That first Bond film where he gets his double O licence and he shoots the bloke in the office with a hushed pistol. Let's just say he would have winced a tad if it was real.

I was using the little Surefire suppressors on an AR, the tiny little suppressor, out in the open, no ear defenders. Then I stepped under the wriggly tin roofed off area of the range to get some more mags, decided to fire from the bench and after one round wished I had not got up that morning - great in the open, any hard surface nearby and not so much. You get the same effect when moving down corridors, or in buildings, and need to wear ear def's - full stop.

That first Bond film where he gets his double O licence and he shoots the bloke in the office with a hushed pistol. Let's just say he would have winced a tad if it was real.

Hollywood takes the unpleasant out of shooting. I hate watching The Walking Dead and seeing the shooters score head shots with handguns at 50 meters or rifles that have no sights on them what so ever.

Hollywood takes the unpleasant out of shooting. I hate watching The Walking Dead and seeing the shooters score head shots with handguns at 50 meters or rifles that have no sights on them what so ever.
That's nothing, did you ever see what Cannon could do with a snubby? The best one was from a moving boat.

The physics behind that is sort of interesting. Geek alert!

The sonic crack propagates in a cone from the bullet, the angle of the cone being a function of the Mach number of the projectile (at exactly Mach 1 the cone makes a 45° angle to the line of fire since the tip advances as fast as the shockwave propagates outwards, at Mach 2 it's 26.6° since the tip advances twice as fast as the shockwave propagates (arctan 0.5), and so on).

So when you're not under cover, the shooter is inside the shockwave cone, and it never hits him so he never hears the "crack" directly. The ground, unless it's concrete, isn't going to reflect it too badly, so it's comfortable.

Stand under wriggly tin and that's going to reflect that shockwave back at you. Plus any remaining muzzle report too. OW! PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Well I just ordered an Aimpoint PRO on flea bay for 378 bucks. The plan is to put it on the Scout Squad to turn it into a modern day “Brush Gun”. It should be here by early next week.

Haven’t got it yet so can’t “show” so I hope you will permit me a question.

I want one of these:

A1ABB4A5-A7FF-4590-8281-20DF901BEBD0.jpeg

It’s a Mauser M12 Max, I’ll get it in .308. It’ll be my first centre fire rifle. I prefer a traditional wood finish to synthetic and I also prefer a thumb hole stock, this particular rifle has also had good consistently reviews across the press. I want it primarily for stalking then deer and fox control on my shoot along with trips to South Africa for game.

I mentioned this preference to the gentleman with whom I’m doing my DSC1 and getting some trigger time. He was of the opinion that the wood would be of inferior quality (a branch) at the price point (Circa £1500) and would not provide the length of service I’d expect. He also mentioned that he wore out a Mauser in 4000 shots whilst a Sauer will last 6000 and I’d be much better off with a Sauer 100.

Whilst I have the greatest of respect for this gentleman, having been shooting other disciplines for a while, I’m also aware how “partisan” some can become regarding kit and brands. That said, his opinion might indeed be valid. I’d greatly appreciate any opinions either way regarding this rifle to assist with the decision.

Well I just ordered an Aimpoint PRO on flea bay for 378 bucks. The plan is to put it on the Scout Squad to turn it into a modern day “Brush Gun”. It should be here by early next week.
You trust fleabay?