Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

It does seem irrational that in the land of litigation fitting a firearm with something designed to make it safer to the user is illegal. Has anyone tried suing the Govt for this?
'But assassins will be murdering people and due to the silence, there will be no evidence'... :eek:

It does seem irrational that in the land of litigation fitting a firearm with something designed to make it safer to the user is illegal. Has anyone tried suing the Govt for this?
I think there's at least one case going through the system there at the moment.

The cost of the things over there is truly astronomical, plus of course the $200 "tax stamp".

Unaware of any such challenge. Over here the govt usually gets cases against it dismissed on sovereign immunity grounds unless something extra (police brutality for instance) is at play. There is also our Constitutional doctine of separation of powers between the 3 branches such that courts usually will not entertain a case arguing the govt should have passed a particular law.

Ah the Hollywood effect--similar result for full auto weapons being gangster guns.
Having fired a sound moderated MP5, while I was impressed with it, it was still rather loud. The subjective impression was that it was about .22LR level. However a mates home made silencer on a .22 pistol really did silence it.

Having fired a sound moderated MP5, while I was impressed with it, it was still rather loud. The subjective impression was that it was about .22LR level. However a mates home made silencer on a .22 pistol really did silence it.
That's down to him using subsonic ammunition in the .22. Standard 9mm is supersonic.

That's down to him using subsonic ammunition in the .22. Standard 9mm is supersonic.
The ammo in the 22LR pistol was bog standard Eley club, the MP5 is a different kettle of fish. Just forward of the chamber there is a series of very small holes to reduce the gas pressure, so regardless of ammo the muzzle velocity is subsonic.

Hollywood creates a real false impression. That is why I prefer "suppressor" to "silencer." Much also depends on the ammo--my 9mm integrally suppressed F/A UZI is more like a pellet gun than .22 with sub-sonic ammo. The open bolt cycling makes more noise than the round. I have a video that makes the point but don't know how to post it.

ugly

LE
Hollywood creates a real false impression. That is why I prefer "suppressor" to "silencer." Much also depends on the ammo--my 9mm integrally suppressed F/A UZI is more like a pellet gun than .22 with sub-sonic ammo. The open bolt cycling makes more noise than the round. I have a video that makes the point but don't know how to post it.
Over here the technical name is sound moderator, this is a good fit as it may suppress the sound, it doesn't silence it but definitely moderates it.
A good description has been "like the sound of a 20 bore shotgun off in the distance but where I cant tell!"

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has problems posting videos.
I just realized I have Cluster-a photo/video sharing app. If anyone is interested, pm an email and we can share firearms related media.

That's good to hear, the traditional conversion work tends to be on Remington 700's but I have a cabinet full of Ruger 77 rifles and I quite like them!
Ruger provides lots of value for the money.

Talking of tins, I am most impressed with the wildcat 12 I have just stuck on my .223 Remmy. No louder than a .22lr HV and no real need for ears, on top of that, with the extra weight there is very little movement when shot and observing the fall of shot is a doddle.

The ammo in the 22LR pistol was bog standard Eley club, the MP5 is a different kettle of fish. Just forward of the chamber there is a series of very small holes to reduce the gas pressure, so regardless of ammo the muzzle velocity is subsonic.
It'
Holes in the barrel to make the MP5 subsonic?
Certainly not the standard model.
I dismantled & reassembled one or two in the distant past & the only ones with holes in the barrels were the suppressed SD models & they were a lot quieter than a standard .22rf, or for that matter a suppressed, subsonic .22rf.

It'

Holes in the barrel to make the MP5 subsonic?
Certainly not the standard model.
I dismantled & reassembled one or two in the distant past & the only ones with holes in the barrels were the suppressed SD models & they were a lot quieter than a standard .22rf, or for that matter a suppressed, subsonic .22rf.
It was a privately owned H&K MP5 with built in sound moderator, as issued to the GCP. This was some time mid 90s. The owner stripped the weapon and showed me barrel complete with gas vents, which bled off excess gas in order to keep the MV below 1000 fps. The noise assessment is purely subjective, we fired on an outdoor range and I could just tolerate the noise without ear defs.

ugly

LE
Ruger provides lots of value for the money.
I agree, I also agree with Barnes, my 77Mk2 HBVT in .223 was out of the box astonishingly accurate. The other 77's could benefit from a slightly better trigger but the only faults I have had with Ruger 77's have been user induced!

How do you define astonishingly accurate?
I thought a STEN Mk.II with Canadian loop butt was astonishingly comfortable and easy to shoot. But then I went into the whole experience with exceptionally low expectations :D