Rifles Hot or Not - Show us yer kit!

Thanks Ugly, made to feel a fool in another thread, still I get common sense here :)

I know this isn’t strictly a rifle and it is unfortunately (due to our Draconian laws) is now a deact, but I have been doing a refurb on a very nice little mkV Sten. Marked RTL so from ROF Theale and RA so it went to Rhodesia at some point. Much better quality than earlier marks I have seen. All in all, an impressive piece of history
D62D8823-BF9A-494A-BB6F-77826E07AB10.jpeg
8806D94A-96DB-408A-8CF3-88995607BCF0.jpeg
C6F080AD-A5E2-4DE4-BAC7-DC95C75996FC.jpeg

I know this isn’t strictly a rifle and it is unfortunately (due to our Draconian laws) is now a deact, but I have been doing a refurb on a very nice little mkV Sten. Marked RTL so from ROF Theale and RA so it went to Rhodesia at some point. Much better quality than earlier marks I have seen. All in all, an impressive piece of history View attachment 332134 View attachment 332135 View attachment 332136
Not bad at all, is it EU. ? I have a few I go for obsolete calibre now, no butchery

It still cocks and dry fires but has had the bolt split and the front half segmented and part of that welded over the ejection port. What would have been the remaining half of the bolt has been replaced with a steel cylinder, drilled to take the cocking lever. Quite well done really

I now have two deacts, a bren and this, both because of the butchery that has since been imposed on the latest spec stuff. I like the engineering that went into the old kit, at least with the older spec deacts you can still see how it worked.
The rest of my kit is all live fire, shame the bren and Sten can’t be, even as semi auto or straight pulls

I have a bren, old spec, belongs to Chester castle, as all of mine do, even the air soft look alikes, waiting for the Lee Enfield 303 to come then the public can have fun safely

My bren
6E23230E-30A6-4277-B98E-9E025421FDDE.jpeg

I have hopes that one day I can get my hands on a straight pull bren to use on the range... ;-)

So I sorted out the massively laterally offset rearsight cradle on the BotR 03A3 Springfield. Luckily hitting it to the right popped it right off. I then stared in amazement at how they'd done the "staking" - lots of striations struck into the front top edge of the male dovetail, and a blob of weld put on the female dovetail. I passed the file over both of these bits gently to take off whatever was ailing it, and I then managed to drift it so that the datum lines matched up by using a plastic hammer and a piece of wood:

1524925128185.png

Not a great system... If the cradle gets a good knock, your wind zero is done and your sight might even fall off!

BTW there is a setscrew that they abandoned using - I imagine they didn't hold firmly enough and the heads got wrecked trying to cinch them down nice and tight, hence the move to staking (mentioned in the manual).