Rifles Dress Uniform - Croix de Guerre

#1
I was reading that the No1 and No2 Dress uniforms of the Rifles have a Croix de Guerre ribbon (and medal?) on both arms. I have not been able to see a picture of this though.

If anyone can send or post me a image of what it would look like (or describe in some detail) then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Peter
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#2
Try the MOD website for the rifles, If I recall there was a link to uniforms showing this. I wouldnt get too excited in 7 years as a regular LI man I only wore No2 dress about 12 times. I never wore No1 dress.
 
#4
Hi,
Here is a picture of the actual medal, obviously we only wear the ribbon, the same shape and size as you do under your medals on the front of your tunic, on either arm approx 1 inch down from the shoulder.

This is on Service Dress/No2's. Mess Dress and No1's

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tomo
 

Attachments

#5
Yeah...great, thanks for the help! :D

Peter
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#6
ugly said:
Try the MOD website for the rifles, If I recall there was a link to uniforms showing this. I wouldnt get too excited in 7 years as a regular LI man I only wore No2 dress about 12 times. I never wore No1 dress.
Ah, but the LI were never as smartly dressed, well-turned out and as sartorially astute as Greenjackets!

During my service, when the Rifle Depot was still in use, we mounted guard in no 1dress, then changed into combats. Guard commander and C.O.S that is.
We did wear no 2 dress often, even in battalion.
 
#7
In 1959-60 we trialled the No 2 dress with 42 Regt RA, at that time we wotre a khaki forage cap with it and wore No 2s regularly but in 15 years I never wore No 1 Dress (Blues)
 
#8
old_fat_and_hairy said:
During my service, when the Rifle Depot was still in use, we mounted guard in no 1dress, then changed into combats. Guard commander and C.O.S that is.
We did wear no 2 dress often, even in battalion.
Blimey if that isn't BULLSH!T - what IS ????

BT. 8O
 
#9
contact Slade Bks at Oxford.....ask for the "bucksman"...he will supply you with all info..........as for the OXFORD CLUB......
 
#10
old_fat_and_hairy said:
ugly said:
Try the MOD website for the rifles, If I recall there was a link to uniforms showing this. I wouldnt get too excited in 7 years as a regular LI man I only wore No2 dress about 12 times. I never wore No1 dress.
Ah, but the LI were never as smartly dressed, well-turned out and as sartorially astute as Greenjackets!

During my service, when the Rifle Depot was still in use, we mounted guard in no 1dress, then changed into combats. Guard commander and C.O.S that is.
We did wear no 2 dress often, even in battalion.
When 1LI were in Tidworth in the late 70's (Lucknow Bks) the guard wore No 2's until after 6pm when they changed to combats. Also wore puttees over their NI boots by all accounts. :roll:

A very weird lot indeed though they blamed it on their RSM if I remember correctly.

By the way OFH, I assume you were at the Rifle Depot in the early 60's or even before that ?
 
#11
with 2 LI in Germany back in the '90s I was guard 2 I/C a few times (always the bridesmaid!) and only ever wore combats, was never inspected, but the BOO & BOS wore No 2s up until 8PM then the BOO changed into Mess Dress
 
#12
PeterM88 said:
I was reading that the No1 and No2 Dress uniforms of the Rifles have a Croix de Guerre ribbon (and medal?) on both arms. I have not been able to see a picture of this though.
Which part earned French CDG?

Have worn Belgium (colours opposite way round) and French CDG in RH and Leeds Rifles (both TA)
 
#13
The Croix de Guerre was reinstituted in 1939 with the onset of the Second World War. The 2nd Devons and 1/4th KSLI (Reserve Bn) were awarded the Croix de Guerre during the First World War. Both Regiments were permitted to wear the medal ribbon on their uniform sleeves and this tradition continued within the Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry and 5th Battalion The Light Infantry - later the West Midlands Regiment. On the formation of The Rifles, the tradition of wearing the 2nd Devons Croix de Guerre ribbon on uniforms continued.
 
#14
When 1LI were in Tidworth in the late 70's (Lucknow Bks) the guard wore No 2's until after 6pm when they changed to combats.
Was next door in Mooltan Bks with 2 RGJ and I don't recall that, not that I spent my time worrying about what 1 LI were up to. Nodody wore No 2's on Guard at the Rifle Depot in my time, when was this you are talking about?

I do remember 1 LI always wore green puttees, but whether they wore them over NI boots or just weren't allowed to wear NI boots in camp I don't know.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#16
I spent the weekend at the LI reunion in Shrewsbury and E Coy the WMR as the descendants of 1/4 KSLI wear theirs on the left sleeve of No1 dress. The buglers at the Church service to celebrate Bligny day certainly did and they still wore LI No1 dress.
I know that in the UK postings before I joined 1 LI they wore No2 dress till sunset on Guard but we certainly didnt in Munster or weeton. It was worn for Garrison duties such as the SKC guard but not even as court orderly at DCMs. I know as I was one! Apart from an NI medal parade, NCO cadre parade, RoP's and a strange beasting from the RSM I rarely saw mine. My old rifle coy certainly got lots of mileage as they mounted Guard at Edinburgh Castle but I was on a course!
I was a green not a chocolate soldier.
 
#17
Apart from an NI medal parade
Mine was handed to me in a box with a rubber band round it as I came off of stag. :lol:
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#18
Mine didnt fit due to egg banjos so I watched the parade from the block!
I did see my No2s though, a new lad was wearing them!
 
#19
Mine didnt fit due to egg banjos so I watched the parade from the block!
Not a tough choice really. Eat more egg banjo's or bull boots for parade in twos....

'nother egg banjo please chef!
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#20

Bugle Major and Band Master on parade but no eveidence on left sleeve of CdeG which is where KSLI and descendants wore theirs.
or on the left sleeve

A good picture of the Bugles stepping off in the new Rifles dress. This caused a few raised eyebrows as it seems to be almost all RB/RGJ and very little LI. You can see the difference with the bugler outside St Chads from E Coy WMR:

The difference being all black and red for the Rifles and all Green and silver for the LI. The CdeG is just hidden under the buglers cords on his upper left sleeve. Perhaps the new Regt didnt have enough ribbon available which is odd as the regtl shop was flogging repros!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2 Infantry 0
2 Juniors 0
2 Military Clothing & Boots 2

Similar threads

Top