Rifles(1 battalion)-Para Reg

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by AJ_1986, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am hoping that someone can help with my question,as i have searched over and over for an answer with no success!
    I am wondering what the difference is between 1 battalion rifles, and para reg? i know the Paras are air assault and that the 1 rifles are joining 3cdo brigade,though i want to know what the difference is between not just the recruit training but what they actually do during operations, When the paras hit the ground are they really much different from the Rifles role?

This is not a slaggin post either,the reason i ask is because im currently in two my which regiment to join!
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

go Para... be the best you can be..

3. Historically Para's jump out of planes onto the battlefield, although these days they are more likely to instert by helo or vehicles/foot. Which is not much different from many other inf regs.

1st Rifles is the regiment which was Devon and Dorsets ( I think). In all honesty, the training is much the same, except that paras will do the P company aspect whereas Rifles wont.

4. The outlook is different.

5. If you really want to be a steely eyed killer with no compassion for your fellow man, and have the willpower and ability to inflict a lingering, painful death on your chosen victims, become a chef.

6. Well put blobby.
    Back in my day I knew some ACC (as was) chefs attached to the paras. They could have passed P. company without even leaving the fcuking kitchen!
    That is to say nothing of the legendary Chef Swan, ex SAS butchery instructor who gave the attentive trainee a very sound training in the craft of butchery. But who from the front of the class could throw a knife with the accuracy of James Coburn in the Magnificent Seven into the wood block of any trainee whose mind had wondered from the task in hand.

Paying attention less the thrown knife might find its preferred target was the order of the day in Chef Swan's class. And it was this fact more than any other that added to the delightfully exhilarating atmosphere of every class of his that I attended. :D

7. [quote="goodkurtz]
    That is to say nothing of the legendary Chef Swan, ex SAS butchery instructor who gave the attentive trainee a very sound training in the craft of butchery. But who from the front of the class could throw a knife with the accuracy of James Coburn in the Magnificent Seven into the wood block of any trainee whose mind had wondered from the task in hand...
    [/quote]

I would like to see the health and safety evaluation for that class 8O

8. Both fine units - 1 Rifles are probably a bit more understated. Para's have a very strong ethos of being Para's. Depends on where you'd feel happier - I found the Para's a bit gung ho for me but mate of mine love being in the 'Reg'.

In the Rifles I imagine you have the ability to move to different Battalions and get involved with things like Armour (5 Rifles). Flip side, the Para's do seem to have been used a fair amount recently.

9. Xinflurker is correct, the Rifles are now (apparently) encouraging both Officers and Other Ranks to move between battalions to get the full scope of the Rifles Regiment.

So even if you don't join 1 Rifles first, you can always go there later in your career (assuming you join the Rifles, that is).

10. My understanding is that 1 Rifles soldiers will eventually "have" to pass the all arms commando course at Lympstone. This basically means that you will have the choice to be either an Army Commando or a Para.

The choice for the MOD was either reform 41 Commando RM or switch an army infantry battalion to 3 Cdo Bde. The latter has been chosen and 1 Rifles will I believe become Marines in all but name. I suspect that they will also end up wearing the rifles cap badge on a marine green beret.

11. The Rifles are the test-bed of the 'Regiment-free' infantry corps; all roles, with easy transfers between battalions so you can do anything the infantry do.

The only way to answer the original question is to go out on the lash with members of both units, and see where you fit in the best...

12. Met some Rifles lads on a night out, good lads, few different nationalities in there, good laugh, but the thing that really impressed me?

They all tried chatting up my girlfriend at one point or another! :lol:

They might have had more success if they hadn't have huddled together, all four of them, dribbling out of there mouths and taking it in turns to talk to her! :D :D

13. Apparently they aren't going to, they are going to keep their Rifle Green berets and just wear the Commando Flash. Well that's what I've been told.

14. I have served in both a County Regiment and the Para's, when you have been in both you will know the difference

15. so 4 and 2 rifles in Basra palace Iraq and 6/7 rifles in helmand in the past year is not being used much then,1 rifles is going to helmand next year