• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Riflemen quotes

I'm after a nice quote on Riflemen, perhaps by Wellington, to use as part of a thank you to an ex-Royal Green Jacket. Being a redcoat, could any of you gentlemen in green on the forum assist?

Thanks.

There is a sound of thunder afar
Storm in the South that darkens the day
Storm of the battle and thunder of war
Well, if it do not roll our way
Storm ! Storm ! Riflemen form !
Ready be ready to meet the storm !
Riflemen, Riflemen, Riflemen form !

Lord Tennyson, 9th may 1859. The Times

Hope this helps

Rifleman Snodgrass: Cup of tea sir?

Wellington: Thank you, very kind.

Or some such on the morning of Waterloo...95th have made much of this alleged episode over the years. Wellington had a long association with the rifles - from Copenhagen onwards...he may have said something more pertinent but their 16 battle honours during that period speak for themselves...

Swift and Bold!

I hate those Grasshoppers ! The name given to the Greenjackets by the French as they would appear behind them, stab them and disapear just as quickly.

More of a quote from our Old enemy!

RCGJ

Whilst looking for a suitable Wellington quote, I found this.
Not directed solely at Riflemen but appropriate just the same.

"We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France."

I like it so much, it's going to be my new signature.

Latest Threads