Rifleman > Para

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It's on threads like these I really miss multi-colour John. I mean, he'd be telling us that quoting a DIN from a couple of months ago means little. There'd be multi-quotes and tales of Gibraltar and everything.
Yeah, I realise that allowing for uncertainty and admitting I might be wrong is Bad Internetting and a serious social transgression. I promise to try and blame Israel or something next time, but until then I can only apologise for my mistake.

Ah shit, did it again.

Was probably Israel.

As a rock ape pointed out formed in 1942 and still not amalgamated or disbanded, my regiment may trace its lineage back to 1685 but wasn't formed until 1968 and was stolen in 2007!
Get over it.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
2 Rifles are the old 1st Battalion The Royal Green Jackets who were descended from the old Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

And that’s official.
Up to a point Lord Copper ...

Back when the RGJ had three Regular battalions, 1, 2 & 3 RGJ could effectively be designated as direct descendants of 43rd&52nd (OBLI), KRRC and RB respectively.

In 1968, all three battalions lost their bracketed subtitles and the uniforms became more ... uniform, and they were all officially designated as equally being descended from the antecedent Regiments. This was because they were expecting one of the battalions to get the chop in 1970 and didn't want to lose the link with one of the old cap badges. 3RGJ was nominated to go, but ended up surviving as a Company until brought back to full strength a short time later. Essentially though, all three battalions kept that direct link alive to their particular old cap badge.

In the 1990s however, with Options for Change, 1RGJ did get the chop. 2RGJ became the new 1st Battalion (which went on to become 2 RIFLES) and 3 RGJ became the new 2nd. The bods in the original 1RGJ were distributed between the remaining two. With this reduction, any direct link between any single RGJ battalion and 2 OBLI (the 52nd of Pegasus Bridge fame) was lost. Even the Oxf and Bucks elements of the Territorial/Reserve battalion, 7 RIFLES, are in fact descendants of 4 OBLI and the 1st Bucks Bn, OBLI.

Still, it was always good to see the display at Slade Barracks (RIP) ...

I stayed with my first choice and went with Rifles, I’m currently in day 4 of basic and just like to say thanks for all the info on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed with my first choice and went with Rifles, I’m currently in day 4 of basic and just like to say thanks for all the info on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Try and transfer to a corp that will get you more useful trade / skills.

eg RLC, REME, RE, even RA may get you plant / tracked vehicle driving etc.
Don't listen to all the old b*****s on here telling you that the infantry is great etc. I don't know why they do it. They should know better.

Time flies and before you know it you'll be leaving the army.
Then what?
If you want to be a security guard, I'm sure they'll take guys from the corps as readily as ex-inf.

Plus, if you really want to do P-coy, you're much more likely to get the chance from any support corps, than you are coming from the Rifles. The Rifles would at best view this as 'badge collecting' and at worst as disrespectful (ie you think you're too good for the Rifles).

I'll get a lot of s**t for this post - but it's true.

Last edited:
Try and transfer to a corp that will get you more useful trade / skills.

eg RLC, REME, RE, even RA may get you plant / tracked vehicle driving etc.
Don't listen to all the old b*****s on here telling you that the infantry is great etc. I don't know why they do it. They should know better.

Time flies and before you know it you'll be leaving the army.
Then what?
If you want to be a security guard, I'm sure they'll take guys from the corps as readily as ex-inf.

Plus, if you really want to do P-coy, you're much more likely to get the chance from any support corps, than you are coming from the Rifles. The Rifles would at best view this as 'badge collecting' and at worst as disrespectful (ie you think you're too good for the Rifles).

I'll get a lot of s**t for this post - but it's true.
Blasphemy!