Rifleman > Para

ugly

LE
Thank you everyone, some really helpful responses and has made me see things a-bit clearer. Just to be it across I think the Rifles are an excellent regiment and will offer me a wipe range of opportunity and that’s something I’m most excited. Maybe doing a civvy course in parachuting is my best option for now :) have a good day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The old Lt Div had a parachute display team, competition for a slot was always high but a two year posting with them was heaven! One of the reasons I left was being constantly denied the nicer courses as well as the career ones!

The old Lt Div had a parachute display team, competition for a slot was always high but a two year posting with them was heaven! One of the reasons I left was being constantly denied the nicer courses as well as the career ones!
The Pathfinders? Remember seeing their signwritten minibus knocking about somwhere- either Light Div Depot or Sennybridge.

Thank you everyone, some really helpful responses and has made me see things a-bit clearer. Just to be it across I think the Rifles are an excellent regiment and will offer me a wipe range of opportunity and that’s something I’m most excited. Maybe doing a civvy course in parachuting is my best option for now :) have a good day

He was with me on selection

Hang on didn't someone prove that the majority weren't ex inf at all and actually from Corps?

Whoa there just a minute, the Rifles were formed in 2007 and took their history by crushing many decent county regiments to ensure the Black Mafia lived on!
At least the Paras date officially from the 2nd World War

As opposed to any other regiment who never see any action or go near a front line such as?
That said you should make up your mind before you go.
As an ex-Para, who do, you expect me to support? Your mob ACC?

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ex-para, or ex-PARA, @Robme? Just I would have expected anyone who was ex-PARA to know that it's a 3 PARA mortar platoon dit, not 2 PARA.

Not to be a dick about it, but there's a big difference in the relevant advice here between the two, and though IIRC they all have to jump out of planes in order to get the patch, air dispatchers (assuming that is why it's your avatar) are rarely actually PARA. If it's para / AD, then all ears about the mechanics of jumping out of planes, but it's not particularly relevant to the OP's problem.

@StewAndDumpling

As some have said: decide which you want to go before you start training. I'm not going to advise you which is better, because it's personal. Try hard to ignore all the directed advice about which regiment is "better" on here, as everyone is biased some way or another. There is plenty to read about both regiments, just do your research and see which ethos you think fits you.

After you have started Basic, it will either be hard to switch, or you won't be inclined to go through it all again to swap capbadges. Before starting Basic, it is much easier. If you want to go Para Reg and your fitness, today, has improved from when you started the recruitment process, or is likely to improve with some work, then at this point - even if you are in the process for Rifles - it is relatively easy to switch your choice of arm, particularly remaining within the infantry. The Army recruitment process isn't exactly top notch so your CSM or whoever may push back initially, but ultimately they want to get feet through the door, and they don't much care which regiment those feet go to. If you're serious about switching, persevere and you will get them to switch you. I'd suggest the first step if you want to switch is to get loaded onto one of the PARA pre-selection courses (used to be called the PRAC), to see if you meet the grade. If you don't, it's all good phys, and you can continue on the Rifles path.

Finally, although I wouldn't consider this as the best path because it is very difficult, there is one reasonably surefire way to switch capbadges to Para Reg after you are a trained soldier. Pathfinder Platoon, the brigade recce force for 16AA Bde, has been tri-service for some years now (e.g. anyone from the Army, Navy, RAF can join). If you pass PF selection, are good, and express an interest to move to Para Reg, they'll find a way for you to do so. Moreover, since you need to pass P-Coy to be PF, telling your Rifles chain of command that you want to undertake Pathfinder selection is a good way to ensure that you get the chance to do P-Coy, as they are likely to consider it a pre-selection course to see if you are at the standard. That is a reasonably secure route that you can take to transfer.

BUT. It is not an easy route. The standard for PF is very high - equivalent to SF physical standards (PF actually tab faster). So it's far from a certain thing.

PS To the various people who have suggested it...there's just no equivalence between military and civvy parachuting / skydiving. They aren't even a different ballpark: they're different games. Telling him to go Rifles then go parachuting in Neth is a false choice.

Ex-para, or ex-PARA, @Robme? Just I would have expected anyone who was ex-PARA to know that it's a 3 PARA mortar platoon dit, not 2 PARA.

Not to be a dick about it, but there's a big difference in the relevant advice here between the two, and though IIRC they all have to jump out of planes in order to get the patch, air dispatchers (assuming that is why it's your avatar) are rarely actually PARA. If it's para / AD, then all ears about the mechanics of jumping out of planes, but it's not particularly relevant to the OP's problem.

@StewAndDumpling

...,,Moreover, since you need to pass P-Coy to be PF, ..........
Are you sure about this part? I’m pretty sure you don’t have to, or at least I’m sure it was the case at one time.

There is no requirement for an individual to pass P Coy before volunteering for PF, and passing PF Selection Course results in:

"... be[ing] granted an overall pass for Pre-Parachute Selection by Comd 16X".

To the various people who have suggested it...there's just no equivalence between military and civvy parachuting / skydiving. They aren't even a different ballpark: they're different games. Telling him to go Rifles then go parachuting in Neth is a false choice.
That's as maybe but jumping out of a civvy plane and hurtling towards the hard stuff at knots-a-plenty before hoping the big hanky and bits of string stop you going splat when you reach the bottom might be an idea to see if he likes it.

I appreciate Para Reg isn't all about imitating bird sh!t but if the core requirement of the role is to jump out of planes as and when required isn't it worth finding out if one actually enjoys the experience before making the commitment to join the regiment?

Whoa there just a minute, the Rifles were formed in 2007 and took their history by crushing many decent county regiments to ensure the Black Mafia lived on!
At least the Paras date officially from the 2nd World War
Despite the amalgamations, the line of preceding Regiments are very clear.

2 Rifles are the old 1st Battalion The Royal Green Jackets who were descended from the old Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

And that’s official.

It was elements of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry who were the first British infantry in action against the enemy on D Day taking and holding Pegasus Bridge until they were relieved by reinforcements.

It’s a battle honour still proudly displayed by The Rifles.

Of course the Parachute Regiment have a proud record since their creation in WW2 but it would be entirely wrong to ignore the heritage of regiments who have a proud linage, some of them dating back over a period of centuries, just because they have amalgamated.

ugly

LE
Despite the amalgamations, the line of preceding Regiments are very clear.

2 Rifles are the old 1st Battalion The Royal Green Jackets who were descended from the old Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

And that’s official.

It was elements of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry who were the first British infantry in action against the enemy on D Day taking and holding Pegasus Bridge until they were relieved by reinforcements.

It’s a battle honour still proudly displayed by The Rifles.

Of course the Parachute Regiment have a proud record since their creation in WW2 but it would be entirely wrong to ignore the heritage of regiments who have a proud linage, some of them dating back over a period of centuries, just because they have amalgamated.
As a rock ape pointed out formed in 1942 and still not amalgamated or disbanded, my regiment may trace its lineage back to 1685 but wasn't formed until 1968 and was stolen in 2007!

As a rock ape pointed out formed in 1942 and still not amalgamated or disbanded, my regiment may trace its lineage back to 1685 but wasn't formed until 1968 and was stolen in 2007!

How many times was your regiment amalgamated after 1685 and before 2007?

But you’re not bitter and twisted about it...... :)

ugly

LE
How many times was your regiment amalgamated after 1685 and before 2007?

But you’re not bitter and twisted about it...... :)
My regiment only existed between 1968 and 2007, it had forbearers and antescendants but they weren't the same regiment!
I'm not bitter and twisted just honest about it!
Its not my regiment, it belonged to the MoD and the taxpayers. I was just enjoying its company for a few years until the Maffia messed about with it again!

Last edited:

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That's as maybe but jumping out of a civvy plane and hurtling towards the hard stuff at knots-a-plenty before hoping the big hanky and bits of string stop you going splat when you reach the bottom might be an idea to see if he likes it.

I appreciate Para Reg isn't all about imitating bird sh!t but if the core requirement of the role is to jump out of planes as and when required isn't it worth finding out if one actually enjoys the experience before making the commitment to join the regiment?
Jumping = 6 minutes of your year. 90 seconds to stay current, plus another 3-5 minutes if lucky on exercises etc.

6 minutes jumping.
525,600 minutes doing everything else.

I just think it's smart to make decisions based around what you actually do, not the shiny headline thing that is in reality a very rare occurrence. This applies to most major life choices.

@Cregg Bristle / @alfred_the_great

I'm probably out of date. 2IC PF told me that units were encouraged to put non-Para qualled PF candidates through P-Coy first, but this was 6 years ago, which is a different era now. Also may have been more of an aspiration than a hard rule. I'll wind my neck in.

It's on threads like these I really miss multi-colour John. I mean, he'd be telling us that quoting a DIN from a couple of months ago means little. There'd be multi-quotes and tales of Gibraltar and everything.

My regiment only existed between 1968 and 2007, it had forbearers and antescendants but they weren't the same regiment!
I'm not bitter and twisted just honest about it!
Its not my regiment, it belonged to the MoD and the taxpayers. I was just enjoying its company for a few years until the Maffia messed about with it again!
Just accept the inevitable!

capice!! :)

Last edited: