Rifleman > Para

Hi, first time posting on her and I just want to put across a question that’s been on my mind for awhile.. I currently leave for basic in 10 days and I’m joining The Rifles and hoping on being sent to 1 Rifles. I’ve always liked the idea of being a para and was wondering if there would be a chance or opportunity to join the parachute regiment later on? I understand I have to serve in the rifles for a certain amount of time but as they are both infantry maybe a change in the future could be possible?

P.S sorry for the paragraph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay that’s understandable, do you have any info on how? My plan was to do p coy whilst serving with the rifles then in the future see if I could join paras. Maybe I need to look into it more as it sounds a-bit far fetched in my own head haha

Okay that’s understandable, do you have any info on how? My plan was to do p coy whilst serving with the rifles then in the future see if I could join paras. Maybe I need to look into it more as it sounds a-bit far fetched in my own head haha

Why dont you just join the paras? It will be difficult to convince the Rifles to put you on a course that has no real benefit to them (P-Coy).

Before my selection I was deciding between paras and rifles and I didn’t feel my fitness for up to the standards of the parachute regiment so I went with rifles ( I’m excited to join them ) but I’m just seeing if I could eventually join paras after spending time in the rifles and building my fitness to a higher standard. Maybe just do my four years then leave and rejoin as paras? There’s not much online regarding this

If you complete your training, you will be proud to be a Rifleman, and proud of your Regiments history and achievements. It's unlikely you would even want to join another.

If you think you would enjoy parachuting, do a private course and have it as a hobby.

Whilst its good to have aspirations dont worry about becomng "a para". You joined the Rifles so get through the training, dont mention the Para's and once posted fit in with your Section, Platoon and Company etc etc then come back to it. Betting is you wont even thing about it again.

Do not underestimate the pride there is in being a Rifleman.

Its also worth noting the range of job opportunities available, with five Regular Battalions with roles ranging from straightforward ground pounder, to armoured infantry = Warrior.

Plus Colchester is shite...

OP, fitness is rewarded across the army- but especially in the infantry. As long as you’ve got a couple of braincells, the aptitude and the attitude to go along with it, you are likely to progress in whichever regiment you choose.
If you spend a couple of years in a Rifles battalion, perhaps having passed a JNCO cadre and Junior Tac- and more importantly made loads of good mates, you probably aren’t going to be inclined to start again as a crow at Depot PARA.
If you think you might be inclined to chuck up two years’ progress to transfer, you’d be better off joining the Parachute Regiment in the first place.

It all depends on what your overall goal is?
The Rifles are a great regiment with a long history and a great place to make a career of being in the Army.
The Paras however are a completely different ball game, your fitness isn’t going to be a hindrance to start,with as basic training will iron out difficulties. But it is a steep learning curve as you would expect for a front line regiment such as the Paras.
Where joining the Paras can give you the edge, is if you see your future being as a SF Operator, as something like the majority of the SAS are ex-Para.
Really the reasons for joining shouldn’t be limited by any short term goals, thinking about where you want to be 5 or 10 years in the future is as valid as why your joining up in the first place.
When I joined back in the 70’s, I came from an army family, and my dad was a jungle warfair instructor in Malaya, who helped me a great deal in understanding that the long term picture is just as important than the here and now.

Chap went from my lot, not infantry, with the desire to be a para. He was required to do the final 10 weeks of basic training with the para's, followed by p coy, etc.

He lasted about 5 weeks with them before he went AWOL and ended back up at our depot in jail. He mumbled something about daily 8 milers, wearing helmets and Cpl's with pick helves.

ugly

LE
Where joining the Paras can give you the edge, is if you see your future being as a SF Operator, as something like the majority of the SAS are ex-Para.
Hang on didn't someone prove that the majority weren't ex inf at all and actually from Corps?
The Rifles are a great regiment with a long history and a great place to make a career of being in the Army.
Whoa there just a minute, the Rifles were formed in 2007 and took their history by crushing many decent county regiments to ensure the Black Mafia lived on!
At least the Paras date officially from the 2nd World War

But it is a steep learning curve as you would expect for a front line regiment such as the Paras.
As opposed to any other regiment who never see any action or go near a front line such as?
That said you should make up your mind before you go.

@StewAndDumpling

Looking at your spelling and grammar you are obviously overqualified to become a Para.

With just a few days or so to go before you sign on the dotted line, my advice would be to focus on the here and now. Get your mind set on passing basic and continuation training and establish yourself as a good and reliable Rifleman.

As others have said, if the idea of throwing yourself out of perfectly serviceable aircraft appeals to you, try a civvy course. If you like it, take it up as a hobby and get good at it.

Then, in a few years time when you've proven yourself to be a good soldier and being an experienced parachutist, you might find the doors being a little bit more open to you should you wish to transfer.

Wholeheartedly agree with all the posts lauding the Rifles. I was a Green Jacket and had an awesome time. One thing that no-one has mentioned yet, is that the Rifles are the only regiment who actually march properly!! ;)

Thank you everyone, some really helpful responses and has made me see things a-bit clearer. Just to be it across I think the Rifles are an excellent regiment and will offer me a wipe range of opportunity and that’s something I’m most excited. Maybe doing a civvy course in parachuting is my best option for now :) have a good day

Hang on didn't someone prove that the majority weren't ex inf at all and actually from Corps?

It was on either the MoD, or Para Regt website that something like 68% of THEM are from the maroon machine.

Wholeheartedly agree with all the posts lauding the Rifles. I was a Green Jacket and had an awesome time. One thing that no-one has mentioned yet, is that the Rifles are the only regiment who actually march properly!! ;)
I'll tell Corporal Gurung...

ugly

LE
It was on either the MoD, or Para Regt website that something like 68% of THEM are from the maroon machine.
I'm sure it was shown on here that most were from corps, yes many had been through a tour in an airborne unit which gave them the taste for it