rifle v GPMG

ugly

LE
Maybe because it is a machine gun and not a machine rifle. The RA lot get twitchy if you describe a Howitzer or a light gun as a xx calibre wheeled rifle.

Can you elaborate a little? Are you suggesting that a pistol isn't a gun as it has a rifled barrel? How are you defining the term "gun"?

Bring on the nerd answer! :study:

According to the Cambridge Advanced Learner's English Dictionary:

"gun = a weapon from which bullets or shells (= explosive containers) are fired"

This appears to encompass rifled and smoothbore firearms.

ugly

LE
read the answers then muppet, its a machine gun, are you a cadet?

Because it shoots things at other things like a gun ?

because if you walk into a bank and held it up and asked for money the witnesses would all say it was a machine gun... not a ******* big rifle!

plus the dribble bout sensible answers, ask a question that fukin matters ya spazza

OK, while we're on the subject, when does a machine (don't want to upset anyone) gun become a cannon?

People talk about a 13.7mm Cannon and that's .54 inches in the the real money whereas a .50 comes out as 12.7mm. So would one be right in saying that anything over .50 is a cannon?
And just to muddy the waters some more: The American Navy used to refer to their 16" guns as rifles :lol:

edit: spelling

I don't think it's a daft question at all.
Think of the BAR, the US "BREN" equivalent.= Browning Automatic Rifle.

I think that in British usage, the fact that the early examples, Nordenfeldt, Maxim etc , were employed tactically in a similar way to that in which light guns were used might have influenced the name.

I think that technically, Machine rifle is quite correct. As is "Sub machine Carbine" !

...and another thing: what's the difference between a 'rifle' and an 'assault weapon'?

Answers on a post card please.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm quite willing to be corrected on this one, as I'm sure there are people with superior knowledge to me on this site, but doesnt the rifle/assault rifle thing go back to their genesis in WW2 germany, with the army referring to them as submachine guns to get their production past Hitler, then when he found about the new weapons he gave them the name of assault rifle?

Dragstrip said:
...and another thing: what's the difference between a 'rifle' and an 'assault weapon'?

Answers on a post card please.
Hitler, as an ex-inf full-screw trusted and believed in the power of thhe rifle -in his case the Mauser Kar98 as here:-

The Mauser, similar to other bolt-action rifles of the time could fire up to 1,000 yards, was highly accurate and fired a huge bullet which was frankly unpleasant to shoot.

It was suggested by the troops that a better compromise would be something that fired a less powerful round a shorter distance but faster and more controllably and the Wehrmacht came up with this:-

The Stg-44.

Hitler didn't like this idea -the Kar 98 worked for him, why change things now? The Wehrmacht made and distributed them anyway behind his back under the misnomer of MP43 (Machine Pistol 43). Eventually reports came back of the weapon's efficacy in dealing with Soviet Desantankovi (Tank Riders) armed with SMGs.

Hitler, realising his error, then had the task of giving them a suitably Wagnerian name and he came up with 'Sturmgewehr' (assault rifle).

Assault Rifles then are semi-auto/auto, have a detachable magazine and fire a round low powered enough to be able to hit targets rapidly at 3-400m.

This is a good site

This is an assault weapon

if you're in Cyprus...

Some might have you believe that the difference between a rifle and an assault weapon lies less in its own physical attributes and more in the fundamental differences between the intended users. The basic premise is that a rifle is a precision instrument that is issued to and adjusted for use by a particular individual who is trained in its use to marksman standard; an assault weapon is not.

because it has three spirals in the barrell, rathter than four or five, or even six for proper "rifling" aka spin.

This means that the rounds which come out of it will never have the same "chance" as a round, of the same calibre, which erupts from a riflle or the same caliblre, it will always be less accurate.

It is an area weapon, therefore a gun, not a rifle.

I could be wrong, in which case shoot me down, but ony with an area weapon please.

ugly

LE
EX_STAB said:
I don't think it's a daft question at all.
Think of the BAR, the US "BREN" equivalent.= Browning Automatic Rifle.

I think that in British usage, the fact that the early examples, Nordenfeldt, Maxim etc , were employed tactically in a similar way to that in which light guns were used might have influenced the name.

I think that technically, Machine rifle is quite correct. As is "Sub machine Carbine" !
Remember that when Browning designed the BAR, .30 06 was the rifle calibre and it was designed to be operated by one man hence magazines rather than a belt!
The early patchetts were stamped carbine but in the UK Carbine has never been a common usage word legally defined in shooting. It was in vogue with early breechloaders but fell out of use when the Rifle Short Mk1 was introduced. Carbine and handgun as words was challenged in the House of Lords in the 97 firearms ammendment act.
That said its more about usage and doctrine. The US Infantry squads had Bar men like we had bren gun teams and used them similarly by WW2 but also in the platoon was the M1917 and M1919 Browning MGs in light role and sustained fire role. These were platoon assets so clearly machiune guns if we accept the principle as tripod mountable, belt fed (usually) and small crew operated and under local control.
We have the Grenade Machine Gun and thats really a launcher or is it?
Acceptance of nomenclature will help ease the pain! If not I'm sure "show curiousity at Gdroom 2200hrs!" will help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr The Intelligence Cell 7
B Aviation 5
Jip Travolta Current Affairs, News and Analysis 8