rifle v GPMG

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by razorlight, Jan 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fcuk again!
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Maybe because it is a machine gun and not a machine rifle. The RA lot get twitchy if you describe a Howitzer or a light gun as a xx calibre wheeled rifle.
  3. Because 'GPMR' would sound daft if you said 'gimpr' instead of 'gimpy'. :roll:

You'd sound like a Cornish farmer.
  4. Can you elaborate a little? Are you suggesting that a pistol isn't a gun as it has a rifled barrel? How are you defining the term "gun"?
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Shotguns can be rifled too!
  6. Bring on the nerd answer! :study:

According to the Cambridge Advanced Learner's English Dictionary:

"gun = a weapon from which bullets or shells (= explosive containers) are fired"

This appears to encompass rifled and smoothbore firearms.
  7. more fcuks still!
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

read the answers then muppet, its a machine gun, are you a cadet?
  9. Who hasn't been sensible? How are you defining the term gun?
  10. Because it shoots things at other things like a gun ?
  11. because if you walk into a bank and held it up and asked for money the witnesses would all say it was a machine gun... not a ******* big rifle!

plus the dribble bout sensible answers, ask a question that fukin matters ya spazza
  12. OK, while we're on the subject, when does a machine (don't want to upset anyone) gun become a cannon?

People talk about a 13.7mm Cannon and that's .54 inches in the the real money whereas a .50 comes out as 12.7mm. So would one be right in saying that anything over .50 is a cannon?
    And just to muddy the waters some more: The American Navy used to refer to their 16" guns as rifles :lol:

edit: spelling
  13. I don't think it's a daft question at all.
    Think of the BAR, the US "BREN" equivalent.= Browning Automatic Rifle.

I think that in British usage, the fact that the early examples, Nordenfeldt, Maxim etc , were employed tactically in a similar way to that in which light guns were used might have influenced the name.

I think that technically, Machine rifle is quite correct. As is "Sub machine Carbine" !
  14. ...and another thing: what's the difference between a 'rifle' and an 'assault weapon'?

Answers on a post card please.
  15. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I'm quite willing to be corrected on this one, as I'm sure there are people with superior knowledge to me on this site, but doesnt the rifle/assault rifle thing go back to their genesis in WW2 germany, with the army referring to them as submachine guns to get their production past Hitler, then when he found about the new weapons he gave them the name of assault rifle?