rifle upgrades

just seen a big poster in our CQMS with pictures of how it'll look

im not keen on the handguard with the stupid foregrip

ACOG looks sweet though

no-one here seems to know when theyre coming in... anyone know??

all i got told was that were getting them first (inf)

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
The pistol foregrip is an option that has been on offer for several years. I have not seen the carbine version in the flesh but there was talk of that having it to allow a short barrel.

the handguard itself is black and looks a bit smaller

the barrel looks longer

also talks of fitting a new flash supressor to totally eliminate muzzle flash, and silencer... so this poster says anyways

Chris_2oo6 said:
the handguard itself is black and looks a bit smaller

the barrel looks longer

also talks of fitting a new flash supressor to totally eliminate muzzle flash, and silencer... so this poster says anyways
My bold, my "I will believe it when I see it" alarm has just tripped.

Sounds very nice, but like everone else i'll believe it when i see it!
Regards to the foregrip i've seen a few guys with the LSW grip attached in the holes beneath the current handguard.

Reading that it seems that only the handguard has actually been procured.
Still doesn't mount an ACOG as far as I can see. Surely the development ones with this sight have had a picatinny rail fixed - can't see ACOGs being specially made to fit the (not so standard) STANAG rail..

Looks a very good solution though. the Docter Red dot sight on top is excellent - I was looking at one the other day.

Mr Happy

LE
there's a couple of work arounds for the Stanag,

1. get a thin converter for stannag to pictanny, should be able to be done without too much trouble. it would raise the height of the sight a bit but the SUSAT is already quite high so perhaps this will work well with ACOG

2. have an arm coming off the top of the foregrip pictanny allowing the sight to be mounted on the arm. So it sorts of floats above the STANAG grooves.

Mr Happy

LE
Chris_2oo6 said:
all i got told was that were getting them first (inf)
Probably...

I saw the distribution order for C95 back in 1996, there were two columns, they were for ARMY and TERRITORIAL ARMY. The idea appeared that the distribution would start with the Regs but before all the Regs were done, the TA would start getting theirs:

Basic Reg order was

C/S deploying for Bos
C/S deploying for NI
22 SAS
Inf
arty
cav
remfs

basic TA order was

21/23 SAS
HAC
Inf
arty
cav (?)
remfs

The sum of this means that if you're not deploying to Iraq or AFG anytime soon you might find that a TA RLC L/Cpl will have his A2 gucci'd before you. Of course, rifles aren't C95 so the order may be different.

Mr Happy said:
there's a couple of work arounds for the Stanag,

1. get a thin converter for stannag to pictanny, should be able to be done without too much trouble. it would raise the height of the sight a bit but the SUSAT is already quite high so perhaps this will work well with ACOG

2. have an arm coming off the top of the foregrip pictanny allowing the sight to be mounted on the arm. So it sorts of floats above the STANAG grooves.
As I recall the STANAG rail is welded on to the receiver. (long time since I've seen one)

In this case your option(1) above would be the best.
Alternatively, a rework would just screw one on over The STANAG item.

Option (2) that you describe would be very bad for holding a zero. Might work for fitting an image intensifier that the ACOG looks through though. I've seen pictures of similar setups.

Mr Happy said:
image is too small, does anyone have the kit mag url?
Page 21:

I believe that the ACOGs are being bought with STANAG brackets fitted. And yes, we are the only NATO country to actually use the NATO rail!

Gun_Nut said:
Mr Happy said:
image is too small, does anyone have the kit mag url?
Page 21:

I believe that the ACOGs are being bought with STANAG brackets fitted. And yes, we are the only NATO country to actually use the NATO rail!
That really is barmy. Then again, I suppose the alternative would be adaptors for everything else.

Hmmm......