Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rifle to Canon? Army Photographer Article

Good CO

Admin
I just came across this excellent interview with Signaller turned Army photographer Tim Jones ('scuse ranks gents - couldn't see it in the article).

Given his comment that the branch is recruiting I thought it worth posting, and there are some good photos in the article so worth looking through even if you're not about to ask for an OC's interview afterwards. I hope someone reads this and 'takes a shot' as it sounds like a great opportunity for someone who fancies an interesting change of tack.

An Interview with British Army Photographer Tim Jones

Extract:

How did you become a British army photographer?

I found about Army photographers in Iraq. Upon returning, I arranged to meet a current trade member to find out about the trade and show them my portfolio. He then recommended me to be submitted onto the Photographic Trade Selection week. It comprised of a physical fitness test, an interview, a 10-minute presentation (on any subject apart from photography or military), basic Maths and English exams, a 24-hour exercise (with a shot list of 8 different subjects) and a few basic photography lessons. Upon successful completion of the selection, I started the 8-month Defence Photographers course at RAF Cosford.

RAF have also been advertising for 'togs quite heavily. (as opposed to heavy photographers)

I had an official Polaroid in the 1990s. :)

I was just commenting on the inappropriateness of the "pun" in the thread title.

As a mammoth Canon user for astrophotography.

Good CO

Admin
pah! 2 metre long 3-pin mains cable with the lump in the middle ('night!)

Behave.
Spotmatic_II_front_pf_x800.jpg

What did they use before "nowadays"? It's been mainly Nikon since at least the mid 90s.
When I was loosely associated with the TAPIO pool (ok, I drank with a few of them) they mostly used their own gear (35mm) because what was on offer wasn't anywhere near as good as what they owned. IIRC, most of them used Nikon or Olympus, and the 'official' kit was something like Yashica or Contax. Hazy in the memory, but I think that was it. However, these weren't official Army photographers, more journalists who happened to take photos

What did they use before "nowadays"? It's been mainly Nikon since at least the mid 90s.

Gather a parcel of 10 news photographers together and 5 will be shooting on Canon and the half Nikon. However, more and more 'stills' blokes are now using the video capabilities that DSLRs can provide and are occasionally shooting reasonable moving pictures. Canon have made interesting advances in that direction and their EF lens mount is compatible with some 'proper' HD video full frame 35mm cameras.

Purist:
Clipboard01.jpg

Anyway, if you're not up to your elbows in fix you must be an amateur or some sort of IT freak. Bigeye doesn't count.

Purist:
View attachment 230963

Anyway, if you're not up to your elbows in fix you must be an amateur or some sort of IT freak. Bigeye doesn't count.
Lovely camera.

When I worked in PR (on the Leyland DAF account - oh, the glamour...) I was once told that there was no photographer available and I'd have to DIY. This was for a major customer of one of the dealers and we had a massive yard booked for a big pic of all 22 tractor units that they'd bought.

I said "No problem, I've got a good camera". "What is it?" "An Olympus OM10". "Ah. Go see Brian and get something decent,"

Suitably miffed I wandered off to see Brian and he gave me two boxes with many thousands of pounds worth of Hasselblad gear in them and two hours of instruction on how to use it all.

I can trace the point that I became interested in photography (rather than taking pics) back to that afternoon. Now using a K7 and still amazed at what a modern digital SLR can do - but there will never be a feeling like hefting that Hasselblad and pressing that lovely little button on the front.

Only in dreams. We went from Spotmatics to Nikon FMs mostly, round about 1980ish.
You may well be right - I suspect the memory is playing tricks and they had things like Yashica and Contax. One of them I still keep in touch with has recently bought himself a Leica S-E. I believe he sold a couple of children to pay for it.

Purist:
View attachment 230963

Mmmmm lovely,

I up/down graded to one of those in the 90's. No battery, no TTL, crank a film in, use a light meter.... Crank the roll film on Wait......compose.......set.... F stop set speed Focus....wait....shoot (using a cable release)

Most beautiful reproduction I've ever seen with that lens

Latest Threads