Rifle clubs in Cambridgeshire/ Bedfordshire ONO

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by FourEM, Jan 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now Ive persuaded the boss of the house that rifles arent the spawn of Satan I'm looking for a club local(ish ) to meself

Any recommended for the above areas ??

Want to start on small bore then work up to shooting with horse power again ??
  2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Try Vintage Arms or Highlander, who meet at Bassingbourn, as do Bassingbourn Rifle and Pistol club. VA have small bore and everything up to and including .675. Most are black powder but small bore is all cased.

But it depends on which bit of Cambs you are in. There is- or was - a good club in Mepal.
  3. My abode is in St Neots so midway between Cambridge and Bedford
  4. old_fat_and_hairy

Oh dear! That really is unfortunate. St neots. Dear oh dear!

I'll find the details of the clubs that meet here at Bassingbourn and let you know details.
  5. Im a peasant what can I say :D

Thanks for that OFAH
  6. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

St. Neots? You poor chap. Never mind, make the trip to Bassingbourne once in a while and see how the other half live.

From memory, the Bassingbourne Rifle and Pistol Club are the only place near us (I live just east of you) that has the facility to shoot lrger bore rifles. They use the gallery range at the barracks and also a larger range at Barton Road.

I've been told that there is a small bore target club in St. Ives, but don't have the details for it. Similarly, there's another one up in the fens that a mate of mine goes to. I'll see if I can get the details of that for you.
  7. Cheers gents; I tug my forelock at both of you for the info

Yours socially disadvantaged :blush:
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

Small bore club used to meet in St Ivo centre, ( a 'recreational and leisure centre') not sure if it still does. I think Mepal is the one in the Fens.

Vintage arms are excellent, they shoot all sorts, from Remington .22 to Tower Muskets and Matchlocks, by way of .303 and 7.62. Not all ancient weapons, some very modern stuff around too, and they are very sociable, welcome visitors and let you play with their guns.

Next meet at Bassingbourn is 6th Feb, at 25 metre range. From about 12 pm onward.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Barton road used to have a great reputation, HBSA used to hold a couple of shoots every year but it oop norf for me so I always gave it a miss!
  10. There is a small bore club in Whittelsey if your brave enough to head that way
  11. NSRA Club Finder
    Also e-mail the NSRA and ask for a list of local clubs. Some haven't embraced the 21st century enough to get a website or allow their details to be published on the NSRA Club Finder.
    If you're near a border, check the listings for the county next door in case there's a really convenient one that isn't listed in your county listings.

NRA Club Finder
    Somewhat less friendly than the NSRA one, but the information is all in there...
  12. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Arrse. Might be back home on that weekend, otherwise I would come along. It's been ages since I did any shooting of the recreational/target variety.
  13. old_fat_and_hairy

There are very few people brave enough to endure the small bores of Whittlesey. Or even the place itself, although it used to have a quite reasonable Sunday market!