Rifle calibers and cartridges

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Cow, Sep 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cow

Cow LE

Morning all, slowly venturing into the pest control area as a way of getting out of the house and into the country side and am wondering if anyone can recomend a good site that explains rifle calibers, cartridges and their uses. For example, a colleague has a .177, .22, .222 and a few other rifles. To me they're almost the same caliber but using different rounds have different jobs.

Do the (to my unexperienced eye) differences make that much difference? I realise that a deer need a bigger round than a fox but can someone give me a basic run down?

Cheers

2. Don't know of any educational sites offhand but the differences do make a difference, although some are very slight.
    Biggest differences are velocity & muzzle energy which will help determine how hard they hit their target and their optimum ranges to the target.
    Not getting into air weapons (commonly .177 & .22) the cartridge firearms basically go from small calibre Rimfire to large calibre centre fire effulump type guns.
    A .22rf or .17rf are commonly used for short range targets & pest control. Centrefire like the .222 are higher velocity rounds and used for pests/vermin at longer ranges. Some parts of the UK allow .22c/f for some smaller species of deer. Larger calibres for larger quarry & longer range shooting.
    So for Rabbits at reasonable ranges (IMO to about 70 yards) the .22lr is the most commonly used tool.
    The .17 HMR & .22 magnum ghive a bit more range
    Next step up would be a centrefire such as .22 hornet,.222, .223, 22-250 and the list goes on and on.
    Depending on where you shoot & for dear over Roe size you'll need at least a .243 calbre.

Target shooting, again depends on what type you want to do, basic full-bore tend to use the 7.62 x51 but the .223/5.56 and various 6 & 6.5mm are also very popular nowadays.

Maybe some good info on the BASC site, that might be worth a look; otherwise just google your questions.

Happy shooting.

3. Cow

Cow LE

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Half of the forward I wrote for a book to start in my retirement based on my sporting experiences, still not yet retired so this may be useful;
    more to follow.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It continues;

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    That neatly covers the tables

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The last bit I have written for now;

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Hopefully thats of help?

9. Nice work Ugly! I'll look forward to reading the rest of the book.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The forward reads like I speak, rambles off at different tangents, too much booze and big guns in my youth, my old age I have decided should consist of more booze and loud guns, it seems the right thing to do!

11. Cow

Cow LE

Cheers Ugly, most useful. Have you covered ammunition yet?!

Edit: having actually read what you've pasted I can see you have touched on it, hopefully I should have enough to feed my brain on for now.

Cheers.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In what sense, most ammo is there, we use expanding for pest control. You could try Box of truth, be warned its addictive. He has an archive of tests that are used to myth bust gun lore!

13. Cow

Cow LE

I was interested in different rounds and their speeds, combined with a Moderator the affects can be small/large. I was out on Friday and my colleague who shot 4 foxes, he was using a .222 with a Mod and the noise (by us) was greater than I expected. I (probably wrongly) expected it to be suppressed a lot more. He said that if he had been using a different round then the effect would have been different. Being inexperienced would this mean a different rifle or can you get a mixture of ammunition for a rifle/caliber?

14. As far as differing ammunition in the same calibre, to be used for multiple disciplines a good example might be the choice of bullet weights and types in .243. If you were permitted to use a .243 for both foxes and deer then you would perhaps use 55-75gr for foxes and 80-105gr for deer.

One piece of advice (from someone who has sold thousands of rifles and owned a good few dozen) is to ensure you buy run of the mill calibres for your first purchases. This is because you WILL sell your first rifles within a year- 18 months and having it in a calibre people can pronounce (and buy factory ammunition for) will help you get rid of it! Don't be tempted by custom chamberings or obscure European calibres (although many are excellent) until you have settled on what you really want from your collection.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What happens when a normal velocity round is fired in a rifle with a moderator is that the sound is dissipated so the target cannot tell which direction the shot is being fired from. Senich collated some work into a very good book on moderators. bearing in mind that Hiram Maxim built the first effective moderator there has been a lot of work done in the intervening years.
    I am really a numpty novice with moderators despite reading lots about them and even conducting experiments.
    The best ammunition in a moderator to reduce sound is subsonic. This ammo travels much slower, slower than the speed of sound and it means thet you need to have a sight setting for subsonic ammo.
    It has been issued and used but never for general use or much beyond fielld trials outside of the SF circuit.
    Stalkers need to use moderators for several reasons, dissipation of noise, hearing protection and flash reduction. The rounds though have to be capable of meeting the minimum limits in the deer act otherwise they are breaking the law.
    You wouldnt be able to tell the difference out of the packaging until fired.