Rifle Bullets

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Top_Crab, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've often wondered how high a rifle bullet would go if you fired straight upwards, something full bore like an old .303 or an SLR. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say something like 12,000 feet, would that be anywhere near the mark?

I don't know much about rifles, they seem to be rather noisy things & you have to be careful with them, so any advice from experts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any knowledgable replies.
  2. About 18"........... well I was in a sangar at the time!
  3. no...in no way shape or form is that cool :wink:
  4. Don't forget gravity!

Gravity sucks. :D

5. Does it not pull :?
  6. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Sounds like a friend of mine........................................... 8)
  7. Love a g/f who can master sucking and pulling :twisted:
    Am I going off thread now :?
  8. The vertex height for an 81mm round is 10000 feet, which is nice.
  9. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Love a g/f who can master sucking and pulling
    Am I going off thread now

Just a little RG, but what's new :roll:
  10. There is no limit depending on the gun and the bullet. A gun could be made to shoot a bullet out of the solar system.
    A gun could never fire a bullet fast enough to escape Earth's gravitational field because doing so would inevitably lead to the bullet's vaporization due to its friction with the atmosphere, much as incoming meteors burn up when they enter the atmosphere. However, a rocket can escape Earth because it maintains a relatively low velocity to avoid burning up. Once in the near-vacuum of space, velocity can be increased without fear of vaporization. Hope this helps.
  11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

On it's descent would it reach terminal velocity or would it be slowed by spinning?
  12. 12000ft sounds incredibly optimistic. Have you seen how much a bullet drops at 3000ft? the energy loss is huge. I suspect you'd be lucky to achieve 6000ft with 7.62
  13. Not an answer but interesting;

In the U.S. Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, about two people die and about 25 more are injured each year from celebratory gunfire on New Year's Eve, the CDC says.[3] Between the years 1985 – 1992, doctors at the King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles, California treated some 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries. 38 of them died.[7] Kuwaitis celebrating in 1991 at the end of the Gulf War by firing weapons into the air caused 20 deaths from falling bullets.[7]

Firearms expert Julian Hatcher studied falling bullets and found that .30 caliber rounds reach terminal velocities of 300 feet per second (90 m/s) and larger .50 caliber bullets have a terminal velocity of 500 feet per second (150 m/s).[8] A bullet traveling at only 150 feet per second (46 m/s) to 170 feet per second (52 m/s) can penetrate human skin,[9] and at less than 200 feet per second (60 m/s), it can penetrate the skull.[10

14. Isn't it:

"Gravity is a myth - the Earth sucks"?