Rifkind - CGS should resign

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by diplomat, Oct 13, 2006.

1. No

2. Never

3. Under no circumstances, as he is right

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

Just on C4 News, Rifkind agrees with CGS, thinks he shouldn't have said it and therefore should resign.

Apparently, as CGS he serves the government! Funny, as I always thought that he served the Crown (HM)!

Obviously a constitional issue, but it is surprising that a 'has been' politician like Rifkind thinks that CGS's oath of allegiance as an officer is to the government!
  2. Loyalty to the Queen and her Army - end of story !!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. What about freedom of speech its good enough for everyone else.
  4. I've just finished watching Rifkind on C4 - what an idiot.

He agrees with everything that CGS said, and that the war in Iraq is a lost cause. However he thinks that CGS should resign quietly if he dislikes government policy and not stand up for the army!

Thank goodness Rifkind is no longer anywhere near the cabinet or SofS Defence post - he appears to be living in the Victorian era. Mr Rifkind - modern society has moved on - at last it appears that we have a CGS who will speak up for the army and not allow it to be flogged into the ground.

Well done CGS!
  5. engr172

engr172 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Rifkind is a konb.....get out to Iraq and do a tour, see him come crying all the way home, wakner
  6. Rifkind has once agin proved his expertise in stupidity!
    A chomper and a has been!
  7. What a knob. Who do these politicians think they are - gods walking amongst us mere mortals?
  8. Now who amongst us actually gives a f*ck about what Rifkind has to say?
  9. I met Rifkind once.
    Totally up himself and at the same time out of his depth.
  10. Hasn't changed much then.
  11. Aye that's all well and good though chances are, unless the morally courageous general does some really serious tap dancing, he will be eased into retirement.

The CGS' statements rated a full page spread, albeit on page 2, in my local Connecticut morning paper. Made the news too on public radio (the equivalent of BBC) though later in the day, in a further interview, the General claimed he was taken out of context.

Poor General no matter what he says now he'll be damned!
  12. Rifkin hummmm out of touch out of the loop out of power, not to mention it was options for change ' read disaster' was started 'on his watch' 'IIRC'
  13. Not as damned as Tony will be in the history books.
  14. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Wasn't it a Tory SoS who was photographed trying to load a mortar backwards? Says it all really. Perhaps we could have a Private Eye type recurring picture of it to remind us of the huge gap between those who haven't served but think they know it all and those who actually have a right to comment?
  15. Can I have your assessment of an MP who is also amember of HAC? Err obviously a Tory.