Ridiculous shit installed in new cars ...

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Stop it, just stop it.
This thread is scaring the shit out of me.
I am taking delivery of a new Mazda hybrid tomorrow and it has every swinging dick bell and whistle that they could possibly cram into it, not that I specifically ordered them, but that is how they come.
I see a few interesting times ahead.
What size boots? Asking for a friend, of course.

I posted this before, but one weird gadget that i encountered was on a Jap import Lexus.
It had been in a shunt and I spent a fair amount of time repairing it.
All of the buttons on the dash were in Japanese script, I worked out what all of them did apart from one.
Every time you pushed it there was a strange squeaking noise, it seemed to do nothing.
One day I was backing it out of the bay and it had been raining so the side mirrors were covered in raindrops.
Out of curiosity and still trying to find out WTF it did I pushed it again, as I was looking in the mirrors all of the moisture just slid off of them.
Clever ultrasound stuff going on.
Never seen it on any other make of car.

Son's Astra has a lift up/push down button. VERY weird to use. Give me a normal handbrake any day.

Edit: Hired a minibus a few months back (Merc or BMW, can't recall). It had an extra foot pedal to engage the handbrake and a handle to disengage. Not fun if you stall the thing in traffic on an incline!
Pool cars in work include 2 Nissan Leafs, with this pedal operated parking brake, they are also automatics, I was coming back from visiting a local lawyers and came up to a junction, forgetting that I was not driving my own car, I managed to engage the parking brake while still moving, in my own car I would be dipping the clutch as I came to a stop.
It was an impressive straight line skid. Still stopped before I ended up on the main road luckily.
My first car, was an elderly p5, coupe it had a pedal for the dipped headlight, and another above that for the reserve fuel tank, and the normal AB&C, pus a flip up on the gearstick with the overdrive button.

Good practice whether the car makes you do it or not. Always done it since s and passing my test in a Series 2A.

Lightens the load on the starter motor and the battery and of course, in that moment of absent mindedness in the car park, the vehicle never lurches backwards or forwards into the car parked a gnats cock from your bumper.

The rest if it is what it is, take it or leave it.
+1

being taught taught myself to drive in a Series 2A - Safari version

When looking to replace our 1989 Volvo 740 dog car my main consideration was simplicity for 'er indoors and also less to go wrong.
Mondeo zetec fits the bill voice control of phone is the only clever thing I use also the rear parking sensors as visibility isn't great. Apart from those it is as simple as the Volvo was and with the same urban fuel consumption.
My favourite silly design was the boot release of the Peugeot 508, it was the centre of the middle number, that took some finding on a lease car in the rain.

Bollox

War Hero
Personally I like the push/pull electric handbrake tab, but I never use the tab to disengage it just pressing the accelerator pedal automatically disengages the brake, similarly turning the car off automatically engages the brake.
A friend's car that had an electronic brake couldn't drive it when the brake refused to disengage but the AA bloke just unplugged a wiring loom in the boot and linked two pins which sorted the problem within 5 minutes.

Last edited:
My Focus has stop/start which I hate and the power button which I like.

The stop start on however only kicked in once just after I bought it at some lights when I suddenly thought 'Shit its died', then as its a button had a momentary brain fart and didn't know how to start it without a key.
Then I noticed the symbol on the dash. Happily it didn't do it again and for the next 9 months all was well until we went down to Cornwall when after the 600 mile charge the battery had had it started working again.

Weirdly the return journey didn't produce the same effect and the next day it had stopped working again and hasn't since. I have a very County specific version of it?

The start button I like as I can just flick the fob in my pocket and leave it in there, however Major Sunrays Focus lacks the bells and whistles of mine and the other day I grabbed her car to go shopping. After arriving in the carpark I messed about with my phone for a minute, sending the 'anything else we need?' text and set off across the carpark. Could I find the car keys to lock it?
After patting myself down twice and being unable to find them I looked back at the car and thought 'I wonder?'
Keys were still in the ignition where I left them.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Standing washing up about a week after getting new car (see ⬆️). Looking at dish in hands in sink. Zero Alpha (drying up) says, "Why did your indicators just flash?"

Leaning on the worktop, I was pressing the Unlock button. I have always kept house key in left pocket, car key in right. Now I park my car keys on the hall table. (First question I asked before buying, "It isn't keyless, is it?")

Just have now to get out of the new habit of leaving the house, car keys still on hall table.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Standing washing up about a week after getting new car (see ⬆). Looking at dish in hands in sink. Zero Alpha (drying up) says, "Why did your indicators just flash?"

Leaning on the worktop, I was pressing the Unlock button. I have always kept house key in left pocket, car key in right. Now I park my car keys on the hall table. (First question I asked before buying, "It isn't keyless, is it?")

Just have now to get out of the new habit of leaving the house, car keys still on hall table.
Don't leave them on the hall table. Scallies will have your car away without them. Use a biscuit tin or metal container.

Beware of keyless ignition.
If you have it, put your keys in a metal box when in the house, or thieves can relay the signal, one device near the front door picking up the fob and relaying it to another next to the car, and they can drive it away.
Find some way of locking your car doors when you fill up with fuel or load/unload the boot, as you will be close enough to let somebody jump in your car, start it, and drive away. I tried that with a friend, and you can do it.
It's worth paying the extra to order your car with a key ignition, some manufacturers will still do it as an optional extra, but only if you order the car and are willing to wait. Keyless fobs are making life easy for car thieves.

Latest Threads