Ridiculous shit installed in new cars ...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the info. We have kids and a cream carpet (house rented) so you've got to be Johnny-on-the-spot with the vacuum before dirt gets ground in. The battery has pretty much gone on the Dyson cordless and our main vac is a big Dyson which is sodding awkward to do the stairs with.
Deliberately did the hall carpet with the Dyson then, soon as the Shark was up, did it again. Impressive. It actually sucked.

Long time ago a wise man said to we assembled younglings:

"Complexity always introduces fragility"

and went on to describe how difficult it can be to determine the actual reliability of Complex Systems.

And ever since we have had our everyday lives increasingly filled with the bloody things of course.
I learned a similar phrase when at TACOM in the early 1980s, discussing design and development of ‘A’ vehicles, most notably the M1 tonk.
“Never confuse sophistication with complexity”.

I've never understood how the battery doesn't get killed by the on/off system. Surely, it's less polluting to keep the engine idling rather than have it start up 30 times a trip.
Mazda for one are actually quite clever about it. Their system stops, on a 4 pot anyway, when two pots are at TDC...in short under compression..plus a miniscule squirt of go juice. In that case, it barely needs spun to fire away.
From what I savvy from the Roadster Club clever sorts...something else other than the starter motor spins it...an "Istop" mechanism...which of course is more weight...more complexity..more to go wrong in later years...more 2nd/3rd owner headaches.Not sure if all other manufactures do it.
In short...an exercise in futility as a cash saver BUT.....Mazda would say it all helps keep the Corporation below the strict emission permits.
On that point, despite the hi-tech SkyActive mill of the 2ltr Roadster...it's so "dirty ?" it's off the market till 2020 till they figure a work-around. Maybe ask VAG for some "tips".

Headache Warning.
Not for Office Listening.;)

Cadogan can be a pain in butt, however he does call a spade a spade...when he decides Today is Polite day.
He is utterly detested by car manufacturers, dealers, tyre makers, but most of all twonks who did not take him seriously enough before they got bummed at dealers buying joke ridden shitboxes..and wish they had.
He has lots on YouTube but really...if you can put up with his delivery...have a laugh.
Typical quote:
"Benz build quality and reliability sucks harder than a Thai hooker at happy hour!"

Last edited:

Bollox

War Hero
I hate that auto engine stop a pain in the arse and pointless as when the engine remains switched off for more than 1 min it restarts itself as the battery can't run all the other car systems. Mine has the additional feature in that if the engine is stopped and you un-buckle your seatbelt the whole car switches off.

I have some features missing that I would like to have
No engine temperature gauge so you can't take action when you notice the temperature rising.
No engine oil dipstick so can't see or smell the oils condition.
No dpf active regen indicator. You have to be driving at 50mph or above and long enough for the regen to take place. If you go under 50mph (ie you come off the motorway) the regen process doesn't finish. Any remaining diesel fuel from the uncompleted regen is dumped into the engine oil (hence smelling the dipstick) diluting it. Do this often enough and the oil gets thin enough to get past the oil ring on the piston and the engine will run to destruction with no way to stop it.

Some cars now have a combined starter motor alternator. So you are starting the engine via a belt, rather than the ring gear on the flywheel.

Auto stop is a pain, it's not quick enough to restart when the lights go green, but if you turn it off, it resets every time you turn off the ignition, which I do 20 times a day.

Auto head lights work well, until you are driving down a tree lined road with a low sun, then it's just a disco.

Why fit an auto dimming rear view mirror if you don't fit the same to the side mirrors?

Why can't the reversing sensors cope with a trailer?

Intermittent misfire for six weeks, no fault codes showing, various emission system warnings, still no fault codes showing. Only 37k miles from new.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Tin foil hat time! The only reason police would ever want to know where a vehicle is would be if it were reported stolen or reportedly being involved in crime or being driven in a manner causing concern. In the former case, the owner and the latter everyone else would have no problem tracking the vehicle. The police do not track random people for no good reason. We really do have better things to be doing with our time.
Not just the police, any good hacker will be able to do it, and IS already able to do it. There have already been articles in the newspapers and on television about how hackers have been able to take control of cars remotely, because of the SIM, and apply brakes, lock doors etc. No tin foil hats, unfortunately, it's already happening, Fortunately, so far as we know, attempts thus far have been "proof of concept", but hackers latch on to vulnerabilities and exploit them for the same reason people carry out vandalism or climb everest.... because they can.

Here's just one of many such articles:

Last edited:
I read an article the other day that stated that 3/10 every new car no longer has an hand brake but a push button instead.
Has anyone got any experience of driving such a vehicle?

The auto engine stop is a pain, it comes on when i start the car and I need to turn it off manually. Can't find a way to keep it turned off. The auto door locking 20-30 seconds after setting off is irritating as well. Even if I push the button to turn it off, it comes back on again after another 20-30 seconds.

Auto lights - WHY FFS?! Running lights OK but I'll decide when I need dipped headlights on or off thank you very much!

Turn the engine off but leave the radio on and after a few minutes you get a nagging message on the screen warning about flattening the battery. How much juice does a car radio take FFS?

Having said that, given how narrow and tight our drive is, the reversing camera is extremely useful. Shame there isn't one on each side of the car and at the front as well TBH.

I read an article the other day that stated that 3/10 every new car no longer has an hand brake but a push button instead.
Son's Astra has a lift up/push down button. VERY weird to use. Give me a normal handbrake any day.

Edit: Hired a minibus a few months back (Merc or BMW, can't recall). It had an extra foot pedal to engage the handbrake and a handle to disengage. Not fun if you stall the thing in traffic on an incline!

Post #10... The car is 6 years old.

She had a little red something (possibly Fiat) which was automatic. God help us if she needed to escape from a roundabout before the next car approached from the right - foot down, **** all happens. Is it me?
Old autos used to be “interesting” like that. I had a ‘96 Mercedes 500SL which would trundle into the path of oncoming traffic at junctions at which point you’d attempt to shove the loud pedal through the floor, the thing would kick-down a couple of gears and take off like a stabbed rat. Quite nice if you were pointing straight ahead :)
I quite like some of the toys in newer cars and they’re quite useful as long as you know their limitations- for instance automatic lights which stay on too long after coming out of shadows or tunnels or more dangerously fail to come on in fog or spray. I really like connecting the car to my phone and I like auto wipers and auto dimming mirrors. Ford’s heated windscreens are marvellous on frosty mornings as are heated seats.
We’ve all gone a bit soft as not many of us would buy a car these days without aircon. When I was a kid you just had the option of winding your window down (as not many motors had electric windows either) and suffer third degree burns off the superheated vinyl seats.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Also parking up manually - wasn't going that fast, i got a bit close to the parked car in front and it did the same thing - the scary part is the car being able to lock up the brakes - there will be a serious accident if there is ever a glitch of software whilst doing speed on a motorway - Skynet don't need to send back terminators, just lock everyones brakes!!!
Very nearly happened to me:

Bollox

War Hero
I hate that auto engine stop a pain in the arse and pointless as when the engine remains switched off for more than 1 min it restarts itself as the battery can't run all the other car systems. Mine has the additional feature in that if the engine is stopped and you un-buckle your seatbelt the whole car switches off.

I have some features missing that I would like to have
No engine temperature gauge so you can't take action when you notice the temperature rising.
No engine oil dipstick so can't see or smell the oils condition.
No dpf active regen indicator. You have to be driving at 50mph or above and long enough for the regen to take place. If you go under 50mph (ie you come off the motorway) the regen process doesn't finish. Any remaining diesel fuel from the uncompleted regen is dumped into the engine oil (hence smelling the dipstick) diluting it. Do this often enough and the oil gets thin enough to get past the oil ring on the piston and the engine will run to destruction with no way to stop it.
Sorry forgot to add,
The only way of checking for excessive oil dilution is if the reported oil level increases when you check the dashboard indicator. I'm also doing a oil service every 6 months rather than the 12 recommended by the manufacturer.

Having to press the clutch to start the car is designed for my stupid female offspring.

Otherwise I would have to replace next doors' garden fence weekly and probably have to explain why Mike's A6 has a Suzuki shaped dent in the side.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Old autos used to be “interesting” like that. I had a ‘96 Mercedes 500SL which would trundle into the path of oncoming traffic at junctions at which point you’d attempt to shove the loud pedal through the floor, the thing would kick-down a couple of gears and take off like a stabbed rat. Quite nice if you were pointing straight ahead :)
I quite like some of the toys in newer cars and they’re quite useful as long as you know their limitations- for instance automatic lights which stay on too long after coming out of shadows or tunnels or more dangerously fail to come on in fog or spray. I really like connecting the car to my phone and I like auto wipers and auto dimming mirrors. Ford’s heated windscreens are marvellous on frosty mornings as are heated seats.
We’ve all gone a bit soft as not many of us would buy a car these days without aircon. When I was a kid you just had the option of winding your window down (as not many motors had electric windows either) and suffer third degree burns off the superheated vinyl seats.

I used to think aircon was a must in hot weather (actually heating in winter is more important!), but since it packed up a couple of years ago, I've got used to winding all the windows down and motoring around (with loud music of course) like the little old lady of Pasadena.

I do worry about the dog, however. :-(

Awol

LE
Does that allow you to choose which side you unlock, or is it a choice of both or neither?
Sorry, missed this.

All doors lock when pulling away, but each door can be individually unlocked when simply opened from the inside. (Saab).

Had a hire car with lane assist a few months back.
Start slowly changing lane and it felt like a toddler grabbing the steering wheel
A reet shock first time it happens

I’ll stick with the 1989 defender