Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridiculous shit installed in new cars ...

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Can it tell you the pressure above that figure or below?
If it uses transducers on the tyre valve stems yes, if it uses the wheel speed sensors, no.

Tesla are releasing Full Self-Driving (FSD) as a paid upgrade in the USA. It’s a Beta addition, which hardly fills me with confidence. Not legal in the UK.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Who the fück are you?

Get some time in and wait your turn. theres far more people in the queue before you to abuse me.
You f'kin tell him, Ironsides!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Can it tell you the pressure above that figure or below?
If I ask it to. On the left stalk, push an arrow left/right it will toggle the display. On the next screen, first item is a schematic showing tyre pressures. It may show other stuff too, but I'm not a slave to it.

If I ask it to. On the left stalk, push an arrow left/right it will toggle the display. On the next screen, first item is a schematic showing tyre pressures. It may show other stuff too, but I'm not a slave to it.

It's an 'intelligent' system then. Unfortunately, it still needs to be reset once the low-pressure warning has been triggered. It won't assume just because you've pumped the tyres up all is well. It requires you to confirm you've done it, probably to cover the manufacturer's arse.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's an 'intelligent' system then. Unfortunately, it still needs to be reset once the low-pressure warning has been triggered. It won't assume just because you've pumped the tyres up all is well. It requires you to confirm you've done it, probably to cover the manufacturer's arse.
It resets automatically, either when I restart the engine after using free air on the forecourt, or with the engine running while my cheap Middle of Lidl pump blows it up.

I only use Reset so I can see the digital soeedo behind the warning display if it comes on while I'm driving.

The low profile tyres on the Corsa don't hold air as well as did those on the Polo, which NEVER lost pressure. Memo to self. Could be a good day to check pressures BEFORE the warning comes on.

*And that's another thing. How come I've got this huge magnet that attracts other cars to me? I can park in a wide open car park with loads of spaces and have an empty space either side yet, when I come out, there's always someone parked right next to me despite there still being loads of empty spaces.
This is one of the mysteries of the universe. I do the same when parking - find a space well away from any other cars, and when I come back, there is generally one parked either side of mine and still miles of open space to the next cars.
I really have no explanation, but it does my nut in.

This is one of the mysteries of the universe. I do the same when parking - find a space well away from any other cars, and when I come back, there is generally one parked either side of mine and still miles of open space to the next cars.
I really have no explanation, but it does my nut in.

Simple, it’s gravitational attraction. If you watch a car park for an extended period of time you’ll see vehicles slowly creeping over to isolated vehicles. It ends up like a Queen/Worker/Drone relationship - a hive, if you will.

Either that or some twät/s simply thinks your car looks lonely.

I borrowed an Audi a few days ago. A light on the wing mirror flashes when someone overtakes. I had to look in the manual for a reason as it was new to me.As driver should I not be aware of cars around me without yet another flashing light to distract me?
I agree that I should be fully aware of other cars (as I am of blind spots in my car) but came across this feature when I hired a Volvo a few years ago.
It was irritating at first but by the end of 200 miles of driving- mostly motorway- I accepted it as a useful tool

The Vivaro again.

Clocks change. The infotainment system has DAB, RDS & GPS, but you still need to change the clock twice a year. Scrolling through the menus, the daylight saving time option is checked. There is also an option to sync the clock via GPS, perfect, I'll choose that.

The time is now two hours out! Despite using GPS, on a van built for the UK Market, it thinks we're in West Africa!

BTW, the front end has no grip in the wet and it feels like a brake disc is warped. 3992 miles as of this morning.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

Truxx

LE
Makes little odds really. In a couple of years time, a day like today, no sun, no wind, no one will be going anywhere..
I have posted before, but my son is a clever dick in the nuclear business. If we think that we want to live life as we do now, but rely on electricity, even with all the proposed wind and solar generation, the uk will need 12 new nuclear power stations.

Ain't going to happen. So instead our lives are going to change dramatically.

tgo

War Hero
The autobraking (pre-sense I think they call it) is really worthy of the thread title - unsurprisingly it's common across VAG(e) vehicles and is also a common source of complaints, the biggest problem is direct sunlight, especially in early winter / spring when the sun is low and reflections from shop windows, buses, other cars etc. etc. The system doesn't log any faults because it doesn't see the input as an invalid trigger, so diagnostically, there's nothing to go at, all you can do is look for patterns in the behaviour (time of day, weather, location, direction of travel etc.) and look for correlations in behaviour and triggers. It's a bit like 'false' activations of DAS on the C130's - in some ways you'd rather have false positives but it's feckin' annoying when it happens.
Personally, i'm an advocate of replacing the drivers steering wheel airbag with an ice pick - it'd make everyone a better driver (or dead) in a short amount of time. There are far to many driver 'aids' that people think absolve them of any responsibility for how they drive and the consequences of not doing it with their full attention or to an acceptable standard.
I concur, the more mong aids fitted, the more monglike people drive, it's not a great combination, it'll be fine when the fully autonomous systems come about but currently many drivers don't have a clue. It might be quite funny to stick a millennial in a 1970's RWD zero driving aids car and see how long they lasted.

Manual choke, no ABS or power steering, traction control, what's that then? Perhaps something like a Ford Capri, in the wet, with nothing in the boot :D

Thank furk I'm a dinosaur, and I'm in charge of the car and not the other way around.
Are you totally sure of that now?
1603879286529.png

That thing is following a loop laid in the road, it's only a posh tram!

Latest Threads