Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridiculous shit installed in new cars ...

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The original point was that gearboxes can’t anticipate. Tesla’s don’t have gearboxes. Lots of vehicles have complex sensor arrays, artificial intelligence and use GPS signals to read what is in front of them and adjust any number of settings to suit what is in front, including gear selection. None of them have gearboxes that can anticipate what is in front of them.

I think the only reason that's not really done to the same extent on mechanical engines/transmissions is economic. My truck has an electronically-controlled transmission and throttle, it can certainly be commanded to change up/down with buttons, throttle electronically set etc. Linking all that to the array of sensors, telemetry inputs, AI brains is not outside the wit of man.

It's just a technological dead-end, the money is better spent investing in electric and autonomous vehicles, as they're clearly the future, rather than oil-powered vehicles.

A man ain't a man with a ticket in his hand.

You need Wheels.

That depends. The ticket in my hand, also known as a bus pass, gets me in and out of town a damn sight quicker than any wheels. No stuck in traffic in bus lanes. Finding somewhere to park. then having to remember when it expires and having the correct amount to top up. I don't mind not being a man in town, and use my wheels further afield. ;)

Electric vehicles is the way, and it’s a whole new way of looking at it. Driving is a bit different too with the regenerative braking.

NSP

LE
I avoid bus travel just as much as I possibly can
I had to take a cross-country train today. I was reminded why I eschew public transport. Apart from it costing almost four times as much as a rental, you have to share the space with morons (and arrogant SNP MPs, if you're unlucky) - such as the two dickheads from the disease-ridden north who got on in Birmingham and occupied the table bay ahead of me, on their way for a "holiday" in the comparatively disease-free south-west, heavily populated by geriatrics; refusing to wear a mask, one of them coughing and snotting all the time, both pissed as rats and asking for a sexual harassment charge for the way they were commenting and trying to get the attention of the two young lasses opposite (who donned headphones, got stuck into their laptops and gave them a stiff ignoring). Loud, obnoxious, broken-brained, stinking and rat-arsed. Just what God's own peninsular needs on a good day, let alone in the present crisis.

When the old duffer invaded my space and demanded to know what I was reading on my laptop I gracefully replied that it was an interesting treatise entitled, "How To Mind Your Own Business And Not Be An Irritating C**t." I'm sure I saw one of the girls briefly flick a smile out of one side of her mouth as the supersonic tit staggered back to his own seat, bumping his gums under his breath as he went.

Tosser...

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
That depends. The ticket in my hand, also known as a bus pass, gets me in and out of town a damn sight quicker than any wheels. No stuck in traffic in bus lanes. Finding somewhere to park. then having to remember when it expires and having the correct amount to top up. I don't mind not being a man in town, and use my wheels further afield. ;)
We use buses because himself has this magic ticket of which you speak. They tend to be full of weirdos who tell you their life story, take 1.5 hours to do a 20 minute trip because they detour through every small village and hamlet, drop you in weird places because bus stations have been sold for retail development that never happened, and cannot bring you home for three hours after you finished what you went to town to do.

Wheels, you need wheels. Two preferable when the sun is shining, so parking is no problem.

We do use long distance buses to get to that there London though. Cheaper than trains, toilets are cleaner, seats are comfortable, and the stewardesses are entertaining. Berry's buses are cool!

I guess you missed the song reference...

Right then car driving folks

What do we think about the impending requirement for all new cars to be speed limited?
Makes little odds really. In a couple of years time, a day like today, no sun, no wind, no one will be going anywhere..

anglo

LE
Makes little odds really. In a couple of years time, a day like today, no sun, no wind, no one will be going anywhere..
21/10/2020, 1025hrs
The wind turbines are producing 5.17Gw at the moment, a couple of days ago they were
down to 0.75Gw, the most I have seen being produced is just under 13Gw

I nearly always use trains when I go to Sydney. Takes an hour and twenty on an express straight to the city centre. That journey takes two in a car before you search for somewhere affordable to park. The way the fares work, it’s basically free to jump on any public transport (train, bus, metro or ferry) once you’re in town as there’s a $15 maximum daily fare. That $15 would buy an hour’s parking in the city assuming you could find a space and didn’t have to use a car park.

I get to do most of my business reading on the train.

We use buses because himself has this magic ticket of which you speak. They tend to be full of weirdos who tell you their life story, take 1.5 hours to do a 20 minute trip because they detour through every small village and hamlet, drop you in weird places because bus stations have been sold for retail development that never happened, and cannot bring you home for three hours after you finished what you went to town to do.

Wheels, you need wheels. Two preferable when the sun is shining, so parking is no problem.

We do use long distance buses to get to that there London though. Cheaper than trains, toilets are cleaner, seats are comfortable, and the stewardesses are entertaining. Berry's buses are cool!

I guess you missed the song reference...

Opposite in my case. Into and out of town, 10/15 minutes, Pass loads of wheels in both directions, more so on the return journey thanks to usual local planners knowing sod all about how to keep traffic flowing smoothly. All in all a no brainer letting the bus take the strain.

Further afield, wheels every time. I'm still cab happy and enjoy driving just as much now as when I first started. Hell, next year or one after, I'll have been behind the wheels for sixty years. Bloody hell! No points ever, touch wood. Not, I hasten to add, because I'm a goody two shoes everything by the book type. I've just been a follower of the eleventh commandment. ;)

You're quite right myself missing the song reference. I was ,what was called back in the day, a square, a label I was happy with. Although not a nat, thank furk, I embraced my countries music. My feet started tapping after having to listen to my Mammy hearing Mrs Dales Diary, a soap for women on the old Scottish Home service, steam wireless for you youngsters. Kate Dalrymple started playing, and is still the signature tune for Take the Floor played on Saturday nights which is
a programme of S C Dance music. Pipeline follows after that, so I'm still a square but happy with my choice of music. I liked some of the songs back then, but only a few of the artists, Big O, Buddy, Everly Bros., and Roger Miller with his nonsense songs. Beatles and Elvis did nothing for me, but I liked some of the Stones and Animals. Heretic that I am, I'll head straight to hell now.

That was a trip down memory lane, well for me at least, thanks. Funny things that trigger a far distant memory. I must've been about six/seven when Mrs Ds Diary was broadcast, although it was what came after I was interested in. Apologies for thread drift.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Merton Parkas walt

And these were the wheels that they were referring to:-
mods-lambretta-motorcycles-AHNC8J.jpg

wheel

LE
The anti collision dobber in my Golf paid dividends today when some white van twat on dual carriageway pulled no swerved over into my lane right in front of me. Breaks applied four ways came on faster than I could react. This allowed me more ranting and cursing time. Its a fecking impressive system, only had the odd warning beeper go off before that.

Ive just picked up my new car. It’s crammed with tech and features that some dinosaurs on here would hate. All very easy to use and i can even start the car remotely with my phone.

I‘d be fücked without this ‘ridiculous’ technology.

HCL

Old-Salt
Ive just picked up my new car. It’s crammed with tech and features that some dinosaurs on here would hate. All very easy to use and i can even start the car remotely with my phone.

I‘d be fücked without this ‘ridiculous’ technology.

Oh, so it comes with a complete dick behind the wheel then?

The anti collision dobber in my Golf paid dividends today when some white van twat on dual carriageway pulled no swerved over into my lane right in front of me. Breaks applied four ways came on faster than I could react. This allowed me more ranting and cursing time. Its a fecking impressive system, only had the odd warning beeper go off before that.
I haven't managed to get my Vivaro to auto brake yet. The cruise slows me up, then beeps and switches off if I get too close, but I haven't got close enough / been brave enough, for the brakes.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I haven't managed to get my Vivaro to auto brake yet. The cruise slows me up, then beeps and switches off if I get too close, but I haven't got close enough / been brave enough, for the brakes.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
My Mark 3 Golf had ABS. I discovered. There's a rat run between North Baddesley and Ampfield (Pound Lane) and the Golf cornered beautifully, so I was confident every morning driving through the esses. The limit was National. Last time I travelled it, it was 40.

Now halfway down, Pound Lane goes under the Eastleigh - Romsey railway line (in a second s-bend as it happens, but it's irrelevant) and the height is restricted, clearly marked so at both ends.

Coming out of the s-bend, the very last thing I expected to see (and it very nearly was the last thing I ever saw) was an Italian articulated lorry reversing up the hill. The ABS stopped me faster than anything I've ever known in my life.

When I got to work, I may have had extra coffee.

wheel

LE
Golf GT TDI. Low tyre pressure warning display and Red warning symbol. Nothing wrong with that good safety system. All tyres checked rear offside slightly low so inflated to correct pressure. Warning displays still on. I know all pressures are correct so I drive it for a couple of days . Warnings still on. So I check all tyres again, all are correct. Out comes the handbook. Instruction : go into infotainment system, select CAR, scroll to tyres, select squiggly symbol. Choice tyre pressure correct select OK. Bingo warning goes off.
Why the **** if the system knows when they are low does it not reset itself once they have been inflated to the correct pressure.