Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridiculous shit installed in new cars ...

The newer Ford Kugas, you pretty much have to take off the whole front end to change the battery, it's like they built the car around the battery.
Similar but even more frightening.
get a quote for replacing the passenger side dip beam on a fiat multipla.
about 3 hrs work, the battery box and loads more has to come out.!

By boss just bought himself a BMW R80 airhead boxer with the 247 engine. Beautifully simple and well-made thing.

Mrs SD recently got a 2019 Focus Ecoboost ST Line. Stupid-looking "infotainment" screen, it looks like someone has left a tablet stuck to the dash (it sticks up). I'm seriously considering a turbo-timer for it, as she does a lot of short journeys. It'll also be getting an oil change every 6 months, regardless of mileage. I have to check under the bonnet every damn day to make sure it hasn't pissed out all of its coolant ("They all do that, sir"). Thought I'd got away from that after I waved goodbye to my last K Series car.

My little sis got an "Approved Used" 2017 Megane 1.5DCi last month. Stupid auto handbrake shat itself. She was pulling out onto a roundabout when the thing re-engaged, and the car stalled. Day 1 of ownership. Car went back to the dealer, where they replaced an ECU, the switch and the damn' GEARBOX. She wouldn't take the car back, and threatened to sue everyone in sight. What the actual fvck is wrong with a normal handbrake? Ended up getting a newer Peugeot 2008 instead for no extra money.

We've been discussing our next replacement vehicle, its accepted that I will no longer drive so no requirements for software to communicate with my vehicle control box.
After a few brainstorming sessions , especially purchase costs ,ease of servicing, running costs , load capacity and depreciation, we have narrowed it down a bit to a light commercial pick up ..................

from the 1950's /60's.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
We've been discussing our next replacement vehicle, its accepted that I will no longer drive so no requirements for software to communicate with my vehicle control box.
After a few brainstorming sessions , especially purchase costs ,ease of servicing, running costs , load capacity and depreciation, we have narrowed it down a bit to a light commercial pick up ..................

from the 1950's /60's.
there you go
even got an uprated engine

The only people at work that wear Apple watches are salesmen, make of that what you will.

I wear an Apple Watch, and I’m definitely not a salesman.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I wear an Apple Watch, and I’m definitely not a salesman.
I doubt you're in the other part of the Venn diagram either - 'where I work' ;)

Mattb

LE
Ford Kuga. A great car IMHO.

Until a headlamp bulb goes.

I had a quick squint at the back of the sealed unit and just couldn’t figure it out. Putting it down to age and a little voice that said “don’t even think about it, it’ll cost you in the long run”, I took it to Halfords and rather pitifully said “giz us a bulb, and can you fit it for me please“.

”Certainly Sir, that’ll be 25p for the bulb and £19.99 to fit it” or some such nonsense. “Epic, I’m just going to do a quick bit of shopping, I’ll be back in an hour, here’s the key”.

60 minutes later, return to find the entire front bumper off and the wing flapping in the breeze. The lad had had to ring HQ to find out how to do it and that was the answer! It was a freezing day and the whole lot is held together with plastic clips so the guy was crapping himself in case any of the clips snapped what with being stiff and brittle with cold. As it happens he managed it but I’d have snapped one for sure.

£19.99 very well spent but why?
My car also requires removal of the bumper to change the bulbs (fortunately sidelights/fogs only, the main are xenon) but at least it's held on with bolts. Plastic clips are the work of Beelzebub.

On the subject of the Mini, if anyone has one and is wondering where the switch is for intermittent windscreen wipe is, it’s the hidden little push button on the end of the stalk with absolutely no labelling at all. It’s on page 4,862 of the Owner’s Manual under the title “What to do if you run over a hedgehog”.

In exchange for that gem, can anyone tell me how to use the SatNav?
The button you mention on the wife’s mini is the auto wiper function. Satnav is not as good as my Discovery Sport to set up I find, but that may be due to me using the DS more. I think you can just press the map button that surrounds the joystick, which will bring up the map then select the chequered flag to put the end point in. You can either choose voice input or use the joystick, rotating it to select the correct letters.

I would go outside and have a better play with the system, but her car is now dropped off at the dealers after getting a puncture. She has tyre insurance after getting 3 punctures in her last car.

She also has the auto mirror dip function on the passenger side when she selects reverse. That was disabled by the mirror setting button being out to the drivers side.

Irritating things on modern cars, great big screws in the tyre and no spare tyre fitted.

Somebody else mentioned all the cars they drive have stalks working the same way. I heard recently (on this thread?) that to change the wiper setting on a Tesla you have to go into a touch screen setting. What’s wrong with the stalks? Easy to do without even having to look for them and by feel.

RP.

Last edited:
My car also requires removal of the bumper to change the bulbs (fortunately sidelights/fogs only, the main are xenon) but at least it's held on with bolts. Plastic clips are the work of Beelzebub.

Agreed. I bought a selection of 6 of each type fitted to my Focus. Some of those I bought for my X Type Jaaag are the same. I had to take the hatchback trim panel off when fitting my reversing camera and broke 3 or the 4 rivnuts. Replaced with spire clips and BFO self tappers.

Irritating things on modern cars, great big screws in the tyre and no spare tyre fitted.

First thing I did when my folks got their MK7.5 Fiesta was go to the breaker and get a spare wheel, jack, and wheelbrace. Spare wheels are so much in demand that the breakers' has a supply of brand new tyres and a fitting machine. The whole lot cost me 30 clams, incl. new tyre (although I've known the guy for years)

There was another man there at the same time as me, looking a spare wheel for his daughter's new Citroen C1. No dice. I looked it up when I got home out of interest: dealer's looking £130 for a wheel & tyre, and 70 quid for a jack.

@SauceDoctor
My Freelander had a great big hole in the boot filled with polystyrene and a few tool where a spare wheel could be fitted, my DS does not have spare nor the capability to fit one. If you wanted a spare the whole boot floor is different to those which have one. There is no space in a mini for a spare.

RP.

I just walked past the old national HQ of Ordnance Survey to get the paper. The new HQ is a similar distance the other way.

Recently (last year? ), local news reported that OS had been trialling unmanned tractors that could work by GPS to 1cm accuracy.

I reckon what you've described is easy.
My gps golf watch gives me yardages accurate to 1 m (or yard, user preference) and cost less than £100. So why not?

@SauceDoctor
My Freelander had a great big hole in the boot filled with polystyrene and a few tool where a spare wheel could be fitted, my DS does not have spare nor the capability to fit one. If you wanted a spare the whole boot floor is different to those which have one. There is no space in a mini for a spare.

RP.

The spare wheel well in my 2011 Focus isn't deep enough for a full-size spare, just a dopey space saver. I've got a full size spare with a cover on it, and just slung it in the boot. I agree, though, bit of a pain.

I may have already mentioned it on here or elsewhere. My brother got his Focus STI as an economic write off. It had a puncture and was left on the side of the road on a jack whilst the tyre was replaced. Some thieves cut the door locks off and stole the interior. To replace the interior correctly with Alcantra would have cost a bomb, so the car was written off.

He bought it cheap, found a correct non damaged door and an interior, not the correct one, but leather I think, and now has a rather nice car. All because the back box of the car is huge and there is no room for a spare.

RP.

Last edited:
there you go
even got an uprated engine

exactly !
I did enquire about the Morris JE electric van, but 11 months later and a couple of follow up emails I still havent had any reply such a shame it would have been ideal for a wheelchair, I dont even know if they are still operational .

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
exactly !
I did enquire about the Morris JE electric van, but 11 months later and a couple of follow up emails I still havent had any reply such a shame it would have been ideal for a wheelchair, I dont even know if they are still operational .
they keep sending me emails, but I wonder if Covid has hit the production and financial backing

Ford Kuga. A great car IMHO.

Until a headlamp bulb goes.

I had a quick squint at the back of the sealed unit and just couldn’t figure it out. Putting it down to age and a little voice that said “don’t even think about it, it’ll cost you in the long run”, I took it to Halfords and rather pitifully said “giz us a bulb, and can you fit it for me please“.

”Certainly Sir, that’ll be 25p for the bulb and £19.99 to fit it” or some such nonsense. “Epic, I’m just going to do a quick bit of shopping, I’ll be back in an hour, here’s the key”.

60 minutes later, return to find the entire front bumper off and the wing flapping in the breeze. The lad had had to ring HQ to find out how to do it and that was the answer! It was a freezing day and the whole lot is held together with plastic clips so the guy was crapping himself in case any of the clips snapped what with being stiff and brittle with cold. As it happens he managed it but I’d have snapped one for sure.

£19.99 very well spent but why?
I had to take the front wheel of my E350 to change the xenon bulb , theres a little flap that allows you to get your hand in.

HCL

Old-Salt
Doing that with IBM mainframes 30 years ago. Iraqis nicked the Bank of Kuwait mainframe, took it back to Baghdad. Absolutely wouldn't IPL until the modem was connected. It started up, IBM went round and recovered their mainframe, leased to Bank of Kuwait.

IPL, haven't heard that in years. You'll be cold boot straping next.

@SauceDoctor

RP.
7 seater Disco Sports don’t have a spare. 5 seaters do. They don’t sell many 7 seaters here in Oz......

I had a couple of Lotus Elises in the noughties; daily commuters that did big miles. My first experience of driving with no spare, but there was a bit of logic to it. You’d have to carry two as the front and rear rims are different sizes.

Latest Threads