Ridiculous shit installed in new cars ...

Must just be the Focus that works on, as we had the same problem with too high a tyre pressure.
Fiesta/Mondeo/C MAX/Kuga say no too, but probably a common ECU.

Spitfires would skid round corners unprompted.

From an MG driver.
MGs would go straight on at corners.
From one who has driven both.
I'll have the Triumph (MkV with the modified rear suspension)
1570900949124.png

However I'll stay with this for now [picture is not mine but similar]
1570901026369.png

Blogg

LE
I hate those.
Totally un-intuitive
My old man had a 380, which had a handbrake on the right of the wheel - shaped like a stirrup.
You pulled it out, it shrank back in, then you pulled it out (IIRC??) and twisted it to disengage.
However, you had to be wary, lest you smash your knee if the bugger hadn't retracted.
That's the old style "umbrella" handbrake and yes they can be a right PITA.

The foot parking brake has a fly off release handle under dash & works well will auto's because it is just for parking

With manuals a bit of a eeekk moment for those not familiar as confronted with four pedals but fine when you have it sussed

No problem if you have the hill start/hold assist as well.

Blogg

LE
Interesting video about trends in engine development.

2.0 4 cylinder pumping out 381bhp or a BFO V8? Hmm tough one....

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
MGs would go straight on at corners.
From one who has driven both.
I'll have the Triumph (MkV with the modified rear suspension)
View attachment 422356
However I'll stay with this for now [picture is not mine but similar]
View attachment 422357
Mazda definitely wins.

Although I did manage an accidental 180 in an MX5 in Wolverhampton in a downpour!

MG never had trouble cornering, whether 1.8 or V8 3.5.

Interesting video about trends in engine development.

2.0 4 cylinder pumping out 381bhp or a BFO V8? Hmm tough one....

Really depends on your needs - do you want a smooth long distance cruiser with a lot of torque and relaxed state of tune or a peaky motor with high output while meeting current emission standards and tax levels and the usage type etc.etc.

A lot of things and variables in play with the choice....not many new V8s out there though, unless you want to spend a lot of money. They are a dying breed.

We had in the early 2000s a Volvo 480 Turbo. :eek:

When it was new I suspect, it wasn't a bad car! Apart from in a straight line, get it over sixty there was no weight on the steering!!!!!
Didn't like corners either...
But it had all electric 80s switch gear, the amount that fell apart in my hands. In fact one day my drivers electric window, decided to go up and down on its very own.

We had in the early 2000s a Volvo 480 Turbo. :eek:

When it was new I suspect, it wasn't a bad car! Apart from in a straight line, get it over sixty there was no weight on the steering!!!!!
Didn't like corners either...
But it had all electric 80s switch gear, the amount that fell apart in my hands. In fact one day my drivers electric window, decided to go up and down on its very own.
I had one of the first ever produced in RHD. Fantastic when it worked.

Trouble was, about 6 months in, it rarely worked...

Drove a mates new BMW X6 the other day. It had the most ridiculous shit I’ve ever seen in a car.

Apparently the lever behind the steering wheel operated lights that tell other motorists where you’re turning. No BMW driver will ever use that.

My Uber awaits.....

Drove a mates new BMW X6 the other day. It had the most ridiculous shit I’ve ever seen in a car.

Apparently the lever behind the steering wheel operated lights that tell other motorists where you’re turning. No BMW driver will ever use that.

My Uber awaits.....
Bob, I am worried about, and for you if you have "mate" that drives a BMW X6.

RigPig

War Hero

My Uber awaits.....
That lever you’re talking about does have a use in a BMW. I see many using it on the motorway, but to operate different lights to the ones you are on about. They pull it towards them and release, often doing this repeatedly whilst about 6” from the rear bumper of the car in front.

I may be wrong though and BMW have incorporated that function into the auto cruise control. Normal cars will slow down and keep the gap to a set size but have BMW set the headlights to flash?

RP

Mazda definitely wins.

Although I did manage an accidental 180 in an MX5 in Wolverhampton in a downpour!

MG never had trouble cornering, whether 1.8 or V8 3.5.
Why have an old shed of an unreliable and possibly dangerous car when 12k will get you a tidy Toyota GT 86, which has , according to Honest John the Telegraph motoring man, the best chassis and handling of any sporter on the road today, is comfy, well equipped and being a Toyota won’t break down? Definitely my mid life crisis car in a few years.

That lever you’re talking about does have a use in a BMW. I see many using it on the motorway, but to operate different lights to the ones you are on about. They pull it towards them and release, often doing this repeatedly whilst about 6” from the rear bumper of the car in front.

I may be wrong though and BMW have incorporated that function into the auto cruise control. Normal cars will slow down and keep the gap to a set size but have BMW set the headlights to flash?

RP
When I was driving Artics, those flashie flashie Beemers were about 50ft behind me....
I thought it was a bumpy road... Well I never knew they were a standard fitment :mrgreen:

Latest Threads