Ridiculous Flight Costs!!

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Kaiser_Soze, Sep 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been disgusted to discover over the past few weeks that long haul flight costs have more than doubled. In looking to get a return flight to New Zealand over Christmas I am unable to find anything cheaper than £1500. I only last went 2 years ago and then it cost a mere £650 in comparison!!! :x

There must be someone out there selling reasonable flights otherwise no one will go. Anyone know where to find these?

2. just have to book your flights miles in advance. sounds to me like you did quite the opposite

3. The standard problem of Army life in not knowing where you'll be in 6 months time let alone a year means I was unable to do this.

4. Unfortunately, the major airlines have taken a bath over oil prices, so have increased the fares.

Have you tried the guys along Earls Court Road, figuratively speaking?

They may be able to help you out with short notice bookings.

Litotes

5. I've seen that, but they seem to be putting out long haul offers for everywhere but NZ. Is it a discrimination thing or are they just tight money grabbing barstewards?!

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You tried www.expedia.co.uk

I just did a quick shot and got £920 London - Aukland return flying Emirates. Play with your leave / return dates if possible to get the best deal

*Edit* Sorry, just spotted your "over Christmas" line. Bite the bullet mate.

7. msr

msr LE

8. Doesn't help you but I booked my flight down that way in July and it was £820 which was £150 more than 06.

Try Emirates they were the cheapest then, also price on their website was £100 cheaper than through cheapest internet broker.

9. I'm down in NZ at that time over Xmas as well and I paid £1500 for my flights (and I paid for mine back in June). I did get a stopover arranged in Singapore and Hong Kong though. I booked my flights through STA Travel-they were the cheapest by far.

It's a pricey time of the year to go though I'll admit :(

10. move to brunei. it's only £700 from here ;)

11. I'm down in NZ at that time over Xmas as well and I paid £1500 for my flights (and I paid for mine back in June). I did get a stopover arranged in Singapore and Hong Kong though. I booked my flights through STA Travel-they were the cheapest by far.

It's a pricey time of the year to go though I'll admit :([/quote]

Yep, any long hauls in December are hiked by about 50%, gits.

12. Try www.lastminute.com I am now getting my flight to Africa cheaper than my parents are getting their flight to Turkey. Although, christmas time flights are always a lot more expensive than normal flights; last year I paid double what I am paying this year because I went over Christmas time.

Also, once you have a flight cost phone around a few companies, I managed to get mine over £100 cheaper with dial a flight than I could find on the internet, and that was with a flight to London thrown in.

Be sure to book themon your credit card though, you are then insured if the airline you are using go bust, which is quite likely at the moment.

13. I paid £1300 for a return to the Caymans... and that was like 6 months in advance, gayness :|