Ricky Gervais upsets the septics

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by dusty_jacket, Jan 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Although I did not watch the 2011 Golden Globes last night, I did catch the fallout on most Local (US) news programmes. It seems like he told a few home truths to some of the Hollywood elite, and in some cases it did not go down that well. You can google it yourself to see what it was all about, but here is a link to some of the better dialogue:

YouTube - Ricky Gervais' funniest Golden Globes jokes

Here is an article from the Telegraph

Golden Globes 2011: Ricky Gervais gets mixed reaction - Telegraph

Personally I think he did well, especially at the end when he upset the Bible bashers, with the immortal parting line “I’d like to thank god for making me an atheist!”

What are fellow arrsers thoughts?
  2. A sawn off transplanted Canuck wound up a bunch of Yanks, what a tragedy.
  3. Thought he was a Brit, born and brought up in the UK.

As to his jokes and the award show itself. The needle did not move on my DILLIGAF meter.
  4. Not a Big Fan of His of late actually, all he appeared to be interested in ever since the Gervais / Merchant / Pilkington podcast series was more money. The link to youtube you posted however is quite funny and more David Brent like, tad painful to watch. I can understand well that this is making the yanks uncomfortable, but it's also Rickys proper trade for which he is known & liked. Well done Ricky, feck the American bollocks political correctness, everyone else already does that.

I don't know his bio, but Gervais is a French name.
  5. Irritating dull cnut annoys arrogant dull cnuts.
  6. I chuckled at his reply when asked if he'd offended the septics with his material,

Shrugged his shoulders was a great reply, I'm not a fan of ricky's but good him..
  7. Not all that funny but honest...

YouTube - Ricky Gervais on Atheism
  8. Watched the first link and it was quite amusing.

Most of the assembed bods seemed to be enjoying it. Maybe the stabs at scientology were a bit close to the mark... but from what I've read British actors/resses in Hollywood just don't get all this kabbalah and scitentology and laugh at it. Even Kelly Brook has turned down kabbalah...
  9. From Reading.
  10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

More of the "jokes" and reactions here.
    BBC News - Mixed reaction to Ricky Gervais as Golden Globes host

I particularly like Robert Downey Jr's ""Aside from the fact that it's been hugely mean-spirited, with mildly sinister undertones, I'd say the vibe of the show is pretty good so far, wouldn't you?"

A fairly good summing up of Gervais's crap humour style.
  11. Well done son.

Anybody who takes their self too seriously deserves it in my book and there were a lot in that room who do. Their precious little egos were dented, the little darlings.
  12. I suspect his ratings in the US are in decline, so this is either his parting 'Fuck-you-all' eulogy, or he's trying the 'Look-at-me-I'm-controversial' bit to maintain his (in my view) unjustifiable public adoration.

The Office was good, Extra's medicore and everything else I've not bothered with.

Irritating cunt!!
  13. It was a bunch of utter chods being utter chods, in an office. I worked in a place like that and it was one of the most horrible experiences of my life, he caught the surreality and mindless cruelty of such places well, but why anyone would find it entertaining rather than soul-destroying, horrible and cringeworthy, defeats me.
  14. You mean choots As in cnuts?
  15. When he first appeared here on the telly, I thought, "Great! Another program from the UK."

After very few minutes I turned it off and haven't watched him since.

As several of you have said: Irritating cnut.