Richmond castle conscientious objectors graffiti to be saved

Good news for those who like their history. The grafitti left by the conscientous objectors imprisoned in Richmond castle during WW1 is to be preserved.

"Crumbling" graffiti drawn by conscientious objectors held in Richmond Castle during World War One is to be preserved by English Heritage.

In May 1916, 16 men - mainly from the north of England- were incarcerated in cells at the North Yorkshire castle.

The graffiti features pencil drawings and inscriptions, including slogans, poetry, and portraits of loved ones.

A grant of £365,400 from the Heritage Lottery Fund will be used to protect the work and allow public access.
Much as I like to accuse footballers of being big girls blouses at least one was remarkably brave

Sunderland centre-forward Norman Gaudie, a Quaker, was one of the men held at Richmond Castle before being shipped to France to face court-martial and the threat of firing squad.

His daughter-in-law, Marjorie Gaudie, said: "It is important to remember men like Norman. They were courageous men.

"He acted from the deepest conviction that all life is sacred. He knew it was wrong to take a life and so he refused to fight."

"He was prepared to die for his belief and that took immense courage," she added.
WWI conscientious objector graffiti at Richmond Castle to be preserved - BBC News

Great, perhaps English Heritage can now put proportional resources into preserving our crumbling village war memorials "for future generations " !

Last edited:
3D scan it and then park it in a drive and move on, or we will end up as a whole country of Tony Robinsons busy keeping our heritage alive.

I thought there was already a national register of memorials?
There is, but it's just a list of memorials. As opposed to being on the statutory List (i.e. Being a Listed Building), which recognises the buildings as being of national importance, and offers legal protection from harm from development.

3D scan it and then park it in a drive and move on, or we will end up as a whole country of Tony Robinsons busy keeping our heritage alive.
I always knew that Time Team would do more harm than good in the long run.

I also take it that you're not a fan of 'old stuff' if that's your preferred approach.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I always knew that Time Team would do more harm than good in the long run.

I also take it that you're not a fan of 'old stuff' if that's your preferred approach.
The problem with time team is that is taught thousands of folk that serious archaeology could be done in 3 days!

The reality is a lot, lot longer. Ness of Brodgar in Orkney will be in its 5th year, this year!

The problem with time team is that is taught thousands of folk that serious archaeology could be done in 3 days!

The reality is a lot, lot longer. Ness of Brodgar in Orkney will be in its 5th year, this year!

Ness of Brodgar is an amazing site, and five years or more is not unusual for excavations run under academic conditions. The kind of work I'm involved in is relatively a lot quicker, although thanks to the Time Team effect I'm regularly met with raised eyebrows when explaining to developers that it might take a number of months to deal with the archaeology before their bulldozers can roll in.

Latest Threads