Richard Todd RIP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Dec 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Breaking news on BBC, actor Richard Todd has died aged 90, sad news, IIRC he was ex Ox and Bucks LI and was one of the glider boys onto pegasus bridge.

RIP Sir. :salut:
  2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

RIP Lovely man met him a few times, and he could tell a few Stories. His tales of Op Tonga fecking Nails.
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

He wasn't Ox n Bucks, he was Para, but I will leave the airborne freaks to give you the detail.

Sorry to hear his passing - another of the old and bold from a rapidly deminishing pool.
  4. Thought he was 7th Bn Para Reg, lobbed in and reinforced the boys at the bridge?
  5. From Wiki.

During the Second World War, Todd joined the British Army receiving a commission in 1941. Initially, he served in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry before joining the Parachute Regiment and being assigned to the 7th (Light Infantry) Battalion as part of the British 6th Airborne Division.

On 6 June 1944, as a Captain, he participated in the British Airborne Operation Tonga during the D-Day landings.

Capt. Todd was among the first British officers to land in Normandy as part of Operation Overlord. His battalion were reinforcements that parachuted in after glider forces had landed and completed the main assault against Pegasus Bridge near Caen.

He later met up with Major John Howard on Pegasus Bridge and helped repulse several German counter attacks.

As an actor, Todd would later play Howard in the 1962 film The Longest Day.

Rest in Peace Old Boy.
  6. RIP He played Major John Howard in "The Longest Day" who was Ox and Bucks but he was Para regiment,

A Para legend and great actor
  7. 9 Para i believe, his lot relieved the Ox and Bucks, but he played the role of the CO Ox and Bucks in the Longest Day.

Not a big one for giving a shite about celebrities but he was a good bloke. R.I.P
  8. So was he in the Ox & Bucks then?

Top bloke by all accounts, had a good innings. Good on him.
  9. Rest In Peace Sir. I never met you but I admired you all the same. :salut:
  10. Sad news. He should have been knighted in his lifetime

11. No he wasn't. He was Para Regt after transferring from an LI Regt and jumped in on D-Day.

He played Maj John Howard, an Ox and Bucks offr, in The Longest Day which is why people think he was Ox and Bucks.

12. FiveAlpha was right the first time. Todd was 7th Bn The Parachute Regiment, dropping in Ranville and helping out at the bridge.
    9th Bn were the Merville Battery lot.
  13. RIP. A brave soldier and a fine actor. A top bloke.
  14. the Club loses another fine and decent gentleman......
  15. Sad news indeed.

Further to the Longest Day, there's a scene in the movie, when Howard (played by Todd) is approached by an officer from the Paras, who had just arrived.

In reality the officer arriving was in fact Todd, so in a way, he was having a chat with himself in the film.