Richard Simkin original painting?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure if this is in the right place, but I have come into possession of what appears to be a genuine Richard Simkin watercolour, depicting the Battle of Dettingen.

It was informally inspected by an antiques dealer in Godalming, who said it seemed to be genuine and offered my dad £500 for it. My dad politely declined, thinking he could get a better price elsewhere, but then became ill.

I will get some photos up as soon as possible, but I'm after a steer on where I could sell the painting. My dad died at Christmas and the painting was his. Unfortunately, he was uninsured, with no savings and my mum's finances have taken a battering, so she now needs to sell this.

Does any ARRSER know where I might be able to go?

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
This one?
richard-simkin-the-11th-foot-at-dettingen,-16th-june-1743.jpg

£3-500 seems to be average for his battle paintings (based on 5 minutes of googling)

If you are considering selling look at going down the auction route, but be prepared for the auction house premium (can be up to 25%) and VAT - but if you choose well you can get a bigger reach and a potentially larger return.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Page0002.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality scan, originally it came out as 53 MB which is too big, so I've had to re-save it which has reduced its quality.

Stavanger

Old-Salt
I've got a contact in one of the major London auction houses, and asked what he knew of the artist - he knew the name and was aware of his work, and suggested that a few hundred quid would be in the right ballpark, which backs up what's been said earlier
Good luck with it

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I've got a contact in one of the major London auction houses, and asked what he knew of the artist - he knew the name and was aware of his work, and suggested that a few hundred quid would be in the right ballpark, which backs up what's been said earlier
Good luck with it

Thanks very much, much appreciated.

Latest Threads