Richard North, Dannatt et al debate Forces Merger

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ignorant_Layman, Oct 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spectator Debate - The army, navy and air force are so 20th Century. Scrap them and have a massive British Marine Corps | The Spectator

For the motion: Con Coughlin, executive foreign editor at the Telegraph; Allan Mallinson, commentator, former army officer and author of The Making of the British Army; and Dr. Richard North - with whom I believe most of you are familiar.

Against: Dannatt; Robert Fox, Defence correspondent with the Evening Standard; and Tory MP Adam Holloway.

Debate was on the 15th; anyone have access to The Spectator?

2. And when The Massive british Marine Corps surrenders the Falklands to the Argies again where will the Airborne troops be to recover them? ;-)

3. It would mean warrant officers would be able to march around shouting "Private Pyle why did you join my beloved corps"

4. Being an Island nation "Marine" would be appropriate. We are not an airborne land.

5. On a serious note this would probably be a bad idea as the Canadians have done something like this and allegedly regretted it ever since.

6. Well that's me convinced.

7. The Canadian argument is constantly trotted out but the USMC have been doing it longer and dont seem to find any real trouble with it.

8. The USMC have been successfully operating for many years, true, always as the fourth service out of four, not an example of how a country's armed forcers can be done in a one-er. The come under the department of the Navy.

Quoting them as an arguement for merger when they are one of four is flawed at best and fecking stupid at worst.

9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Me quoting me from another thread but this will go a ways to answering your point:

10. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Then we're almost certain to try it.

11. UPDATE: I'm afraid I've ballsed up my dates somehow; North is now saying that the debate is on tonight.

12. Is there a thread that is discussing the SDR anywhere on here?

13. Yes there is but it doesn't need your trolling input.

14. Thanks Layman, I found it whilst browsing.

Depressing stuff