Richard Briers Dead at 79

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Infiltrator, Feb 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Should be a cheap funeral if they just bung him on the midden!

RIP, I thoroughly enjoyed watching him on telly.
  2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That is sad but not unexpected. He gave an interview last week in which he talked about his emphysema and how breathless he now was.,
    Talented actor who although mostly known for his comedy roles, was also a superb dramatic and Shakespearean actor. His performance in Henry V was superb.

Interestingly ( to me, anyway) was his remarks about the show 'The Good Life'. He maintained a friendship with Penelope Keith but his co-star, Felicity Kendal was quite cool toward him.

Always sad when someone dies, with notable exceptions.
  3. I agree about his performance in Henry V, but I always felt he was at his best as Martin in Ever Decreasing Circles. He paid the pedant so well.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. I think it would also be remiss of us not to mention his other great work......Roobarb and Custard! Great stuff you know!
    • Like Like x 12
  5. I've been enjoying hearing him recently on Radio4 Extra on Sundays in the Doctor in The House comedies.
    Another comedy icon of my youth gone.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sad. He will be missed.
  7. Can't be many genuinely funny people left these days.
  8. That's a shame, always seemed to be a very nice bloke.

The only good thing to come out of this is that the BBC will take it upon itself to run tribute The Good Life episodes for the next couple of months.

Mmmmmm 2 months of Felicity Kendal in knitted sweaters and tight jeans and Penelope Keith in wellies......mmmmmmmm.
  9. Makes you feel very old.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Totally agree that Martin was his best character, shame I'm slowly turning into him.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sad, but very predictable, given his recent interview. I admired him for the fact he blamed his condition on his own weakness towards the weed. No blaming the system, the Tobacco Companies or anyone else. You lived your life according to your own rules and it was a Good 'un! Unless I'm mistaken, he also appears to have missed all the (over the top) flak being deposited on "celebrity" gentlemen of a certain age. A decent shift.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I think they've learned their lesson. It'll be a while before they complete the necessary background checks.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

He was very good in the dramatisation of PQ17.
  14. RIP Richard Briers.
    Did someone mention Felicity Kendal? Oh God my heart has just overspeeded. Nurse!!
    • Like Like x 1