Rice cooking

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cupoftea, Jul 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very simple and convenient way of making perfect-every-time rice in the microwave. The rice comes out like its been in a proper rice cooker.

It really works, and there will be no burnt, stuck to the pan or wet soggy rice unless you're a total plonker when it comes to pouring out water / operating a timer.

1 mug of white rice (Thai jasmine rice is my favourite) serves 2 hungry people.

Put it in a bowl with plenty of room for it to expand, add boiling water until there's an inch of water above the rice. If you wish to err on the side of caution you can add a bit more, the rice will quickly absorb excess water when left to stand after cooking.

Bung into a 750 - 800 watt microwave for 20 or 15 minutes respectively.

Rice should be fluffy when done.
  2. I have always used the "Delia" method for good results:

How to cook perfect rice
    1. The best rice to use for separate, fluffy grains is basmati. This has long, thin, pointed grains, and is more expensive than others but, since cooking is about flavour, it is the one to buy as it has a far superior taste. Always measure rice by volume and not by weight: use a measuring jug and measure 2½ fl oz (65 ml) per person (5 fl oz/150 ml for two, 10 fl oz/275 ml for four and so on). The quantity of liquid you will need is roughly double the volume of rice; so 5 fl oz (150 ml) of rice needs 10 fl oz (275 ml) of hot water or stock.

2. The very best utensil for cooking fluffy, separate rice is a frying pan with a lid. Over the years I have found that the shallower the rice is spread out during cooking, the better. Buying a 10 inch (25.5 cm) pan with a lid would be a good lifetime investment for rice cooking. Failing that, try to find a large saucepan lid that will fit your normal frying pan. First cook some onions, which can provide extra flavour but are not a necessity as rice can be cooked quite simply in water. Then add the rice, which doesn't need to be washed because it is thoroughly cleaned at the milling stage, and washing it removes some of the nutrients (anyway the high temperature of the cooking will purify it). Turn the grains over in the pan until they are nicely coated and glistening with oil. This helps to keep the grains separate.

3. The next stage is to add the boiling water to the pan (to save time I always pour it into the measuring jug straight from a boiling kettle). Stock is an excellent alternative particularly if the rice is to be served with chicken (use chicken stock) or beef (use beef stock), and for fish a fish stock is particularly good. I don't recommend stock cubes, as I find them too strong, masking the delicate flavour of the rice. Also don't forget to add salt; about 1 level teaspoon to every 5 fl oz (150 ml) of rice.

4. Once the hot liquid has been added, stir once only as you don't want to break the delicate grains – this releases the starch and results in sticky rice, spoiling it utterly. Because people get nervous and anxious, or because they just have a habit of stirring things, this is the fatal flaw.

5. Cover with the lid and turn the heat down to its lowest setting. Leave it alone – once the lid is on, set the timer and go away! If you lift the lid and let the steam out you can slow down the cooking process, and rice should always be cooked as briefly as possible. Give white rice 15 minutes and brown rice 40 and use a timer – overcooking is what spoils rice. The best way to test if it is cooked is simply to bite a grain. Another way is to tilt the pan and, if liquid collects at the edge, it will need a couple more minutes' cooking.

6. When the rice is cooked, remove the lid, turn the heat off and place a clean tea cloth over the pan for 5-10 minutes. This will absorb the steam and help keep the grains dry and separate. Just before serving, use the tip of a skewer or a fork to lightly fluff up the grains.

Im sure Sainty will be along in a moment to tell us how to cook rice in that special way that it turns so hard it will break yer teeth!
  3. If you eat alot of rice you'd probably be better off just getting an electric rice cooker / steamer rather than a special pan for it. They work as well as toasters do for toast, and it means you can go away and pay attention to other aspects of your meal.

In the far east no one bothers macho-ing it with a pan, unless they're really really dirt poor.

That said, doing it with a pan or microwave does save on kitchen clutter.
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

four words - boil in the bag.

5. Herecy! Chill your claret and microwave your filet mignon if you're going to do that :x
  6. FFS. The most over-elaborate method of doing something since Jeff Tracy binned the idea of using a ladder to get aboard Thunderbird 1.

1 mug rice, 2 mugs boiling water, 1/2 tsp salt
    Cover and simmer for 15mins.
  7. I cant say the cooking of rice has every given me any problems.... I just use a saucepan, rice (brown) water and some salt.... there's nothing to it really....
  8. ratio of rice to water 1:2, tip into buttered oven-proof dish, dot with butter, bit of salt. Cover with foil, bake in oven Gas5 for about 40 mins. Fluff with a fork! Perfect!
  9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Far too complicated.
    Take 'phone. Ring takeaway. Order rice. Wait for it to arrive. They will also provide - for a small fee - the curry to go with it.
  10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

having worked behind the bar in a few posh hotels, and working with people who know far more about such things than I, when it comes to wine a few of them, surprisingly to me at the time, hold the view that you should drink wine whatever way you like best - if you like your reds chilled, then go for it. same as if you like drinking white wine with red meat - the only 'correct' way is what you prefer.
  11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'FFS. The most over-elaborate method of doing something since Jeff Tracy binned the idea of using a ladder to get aboard Thunderbird 1.'

though he was onto something with Thunderbird 3 - imagine having your setee take you all the way from home to the office.
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

brown water?? I'd get your pipes checked our kid. ;)
  13. Uncle Ben's - microve - 2 minutes - ping - eat.
  14. Brown Rice
  15. yakk...brown rice is the devil's hamsters droppings and should be burnt with all forms of tofu and 'fake' bacon!